Why become a member? ×

should rehearsal costs be split equally?

MacDaddy

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1426891496' post='2723285']
I say the drummer should pay for kit hire. I wouldn't expect the band to pay for a bass amp if I needed to hire one. However, our drummer is a skinflint and in practice we split the cost four ways. Reluctantly. If he wasn't such a good drummer I'd make a lot more fuss about it.
[/quote]

Generally what it costs for the room is an equal split but if the drummer can't or wont bring his own kit, then the cost of that decision is down to him.
Having said that, deps don't pay and if the guy who joins you is on 'wages', then he probably wont pay either.

If someone is very hard up the band might discuss it and 'carry' him for a short while..

We go for a equal split although that means paying extra for cymbals etc it only works out a couple of pounds extra. For our next rehearsal I might not be able to take a bass so we will have to hire one and I assume it will still be an equal split.

We've all been playing together as a six piece for several years, we're all mates and too long in the tooth to start squabbling about a few quid here and there, We hire a rehearsal room with all the gear and it comes out of the band kitty, so effectively an equal split..

Rehearsal during the week means a quick bite to eat and a dash to the studio after work for several of us so it's a godsend hiring a room with all the gear set up ready to go.
I've never been convinced of the benefit of taking your own gear as the sound in a small enclosed studio is nothing like a typical venue which give us enough problems
with their varying acoustics anyway.

All the rehearsal rooms I've used around Birmingham and Tamworth have had drum kits (and PA and backline) provided FOC, thought the drummer has to take cymbals. We split the cost 4 ways, and if the drummer chooses to hire cymbals for £2, that's up to him (and ditto if we decided for some unknown reason to hire a guitar or bass). I think if I was in the OP's situation and the drummer could bring a kit but chose not to, it would be up to him to hire it (or I'd find a rehearsal room with kit provided).

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1426935154' post='2723587']
Band pays the rehearsal fees, comes out of the gig money. Deps however, and we use a few, are not expected to contribute to rehearsal costs.
[/quote]

Do you pay the dep more on the gig as well or less..?? as that could mean a dep earns more than a core member pro rata..??

The situation with my bands is the same - we split the cost of the space equally. If anyone wants to hire something extra over what is supplied they pay for that themselves.

So, for example, one guitarist in one band often hires a cab because he can't be bothered to lug his own. Or sometimes a drummer might want to hire kit if he is short of time to load his own in the car. That's down to them.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426935248' post='2723590']
Do you pay the dep more on the gig as well or less..?? as that could mean a dep earns more than a core member pro rata..??
[/quote]

Dep will get an equal split or a minimum of 50 quid, If rehearsal costs (we don't always rehearse with the dep before hand) have to come out of that gig money we take that on the chin between the 3 of us.

So yes. now and then the dep will get more than the core members (not much to be honest) but we accept that as we have a very good reputation and virtually never have to pull a gig.

Our rehearsal studio's does a flat rate of 36 quid for 4 hours which is a pittance if you want to hire kit its an extra 2.50 per piece but its not the best quality intended more for kids who don't drive to use. It comes with a decent PA and free parking ( important in London) .

We all drag our own kit even the drummer who uses a Roland electric kit it does mean we lose about 30 minutes of setup time especially if someone it a bit late , but that means a bit of noodling at full volume for a change .

Bonus fact.

One of the main reasons we don't see too many basements in the UK is to with the ground , we have a relatively high water table here in the UK with the soil being often clay being an island . There are some places such a Bristol which is very hilly and due to the risk of subsidence the cost of putting in basements for extra stability makes sense .

I used to practice in one such basement back in my university days the problem was that houses are usually still terraced so you have to keep the volume real low.

We rehearse in one of the band member's house, where he leaves the gear set up, only breaking down what is needed for any gigs. Spare drum kit used for gigs, and we have three PAs between us. I've started DIing the bass at rehearsals (and will do the same at smaller gigs), the guitarist brings a bigger amp than his rehearsal one if the gig needs it. As for paying, we all pay exactly the same, absolutely nothing.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1426893355' post='2723310']
In our case the drummer (being a drummer) has no bloody transport and cadges a lift to rehearsals from the guitarist (as does the singer) and there's no room in the car for three people, the guitarist's gear AND a full drum kit.
[/quote]

What an extraordinary situation. I can't imagine being in a band where this happened.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1426957892' post='2724065']
We rehearse in one of the band member's house, where he leaves the gear set up, only breaking down what is needed for any gigs. [s]Spare [/s][color=#ff0000]Electric [/color]drum kit used for gigs, and we have [s]three [/s][color=#ff0000]four [/color]PAs between us. As for paying, we all pay exactly the same, absolutely nothing.
[/quote]

And that's my arrangement although (technically) I don't pay "absolutely nothing", I pay a very large amount of money for the space. But that's my call and no reason for anyone else to chip in.

My rehearsal space has been used by all six of the bands in which I've been involved in the last year.

Always equal split , the rehearsal room has amps ,pa ,drums, couches. Drummer brings snare , foot pedal , cymbals.
if someone brings other stuff like their own amp that's up to them - I can't be arsed with that malarkey. We kind of rotate who buys juice/ mars bars/ snickers from the Tuck Shop.

However , the best thing is the singer brings a flask of tea and biscuits for our fag/tea break . Top man!

Years ago we didn't know about rehearsal rooms so used to rent a hall & bring absolutely everything along, including a big f*** off PA . Just like setting up for a gig. I don't think I'd do that now, Not with my , back, knees, hips etc!

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1426954772' post='2723985']
Dep will get an equal split or a minimum of 50 quid, If rehearsal costs (we don't always rehearse with the dep before hand) have to come out of that gig money we take that on the chin between the 3 of us.

So yes. now and then the dep will get more than the core members (not much to be honest) but we accept that as we have a very good reputation and virtually never have to pull a gig.
[/quote]

It gets a bit difficult when the dep tells you how much he'll play for... but in principle I don't like the idea of a dep getting more than core members
so if the gig is a good payer, then they get 'wages' not a split... It tends to work both ways, sometimes in our favour, sometimes not, but
hopefully you come out just ahead..

Im in London and we don't use places that charge to hire out equipment, be it backline or drums, on top of room costs. Drummers should bring cymbals, I mean, there just as much hastle as a bass in a hard case.

Always spilt costs between the band, in the past when recruiting we usually don't charge if someone has come down to try out.

left foot , where do you practice and what are the rates like ?
I think we get a great deal and here http://www.airplaystudios.co.uk/ sometimes I wonder how he does it so cheaply .

My tbird in a hard case is a pain in the ass just about fits horizontally in my beat up 307, I've not a nice folding trolley for the trace , not because i dont want to pay for the amp hire just because I like my sound out of my gear.

Personally i think 2.50 as an option is alright to hire an amp, when were paying 36 quid inc PA ( one of the medium rooms) and while the tea / coffee making facilities arent boutique / craft press, Ive never had a problem finding a clean mug and in date milk.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1426898809' post='2723366']

I think I'd be more forgiving - sometimes rehearsal is the only time you can get loud enough to see what you're going to sound like on the night.

Unless it goes on for hours, that is...in which case nowt wrong with the guitarist turning up early.
[/quote]

I'd agree with you if he didn't finish work at 14.30, and have his own studio, which we use. I also find the anal guitar changes too much. Just because it's single coils or a humbucker on the original track FFS! It's a rehearsal .

Edited by leschirons

[quote]Posted Yesterday, 10:57 PM
left foot , where do you practice and what are the rates like ?
I think we get a great deal and here http://www.airplaystudios.co.uk/ sometimes I wonder how he does it so cheaply .[/quote]

airplay are great and Ian is a top chap, one of my bands was the one of the first to use his studio when he had two rooms and spent every evening building the others while we practiced; genuinely all round good guy.

We used to split evenly between all members but our drummers just built himself a soundproof rehearsal room on his house so we pay him rent in the form of a four pack of bitter every week now :)

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1427013360' post='2724581']
We used to split evenly between all members but our drummers just built himself a soundproof rehearsal room on his house so we pay him rent in the form of a four pack of bitter every week now :)
[/quote]

I like your thinking ...

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"I think we get a great deal and here [/font][/color][url="http://www.airplaystudios.co.uk/"]http://www.airplaystudios.co.uk/[/url][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] sometimes I wonder how he does it so cheaply ."[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I used to use Airplay and would again as it is local to me never had a problem with it and would use it again if I was playing with locals. At the moment the drummer lives in St Albans, the guitarist lives in Bethnal Green and I live near Staines so rehearsing in London is the only option and having to use studio equipment as we normally go straight from work.[/font][/color]

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426970700' post='2724356'] It gets a bit difficult when the dep tells you how much he'll play for... but in principle I don't like the idea of a dep getting more than core members so if the gig is a good payer, then they get 'wages' not a split... It tends to work both ways, sometimes in our favour, sometimes not, but hopefully you come out just ahead.. [/quote]

I take your point but we have never been in the position of having a dep tell us the fee he requires. We have 3 guitarist to call on and 4 drummers.
All are either ex band members or friends so an all round sense of fairness pervades and we haven't had a money problem with any of them.

Les