Why become a member? ×

should rehearsal costs be split equally?

MacDaddy

I can't see the point in always using the Gigging kit (drums or any instrument). It just makes life hard work and wastes valuable rehearsal time while lugging in and out and setting up. Lets face it, although some of us get very fussy about our sound, at the end of the day any bass amp sounds 90% like any other bass amp. After all you're not rehearsing in the room you'll be performing in, and there's no audience to modify affect the sound: It's not going to sound like it will at the performance, so why be precious about the kit you use?

On the drum kit specifically: The drummer is probably the one who has most reason to use his own kit, as he will have the combination and layout that he is used to, but if the he's happy to hire the resident kit (I presume we're not talking much) I would say all chip in, and enjoy the extra rehearsal time and lack of hassle.

If you want a full rehearsal with your own kit then do that on an occasional basis (we do), but I wouldn't be bothered every time.

Edited by Count Bassy

One of the bands I play with rehearse regularly in the luxury annexe of the drummers house - hard to imagine I know but it's true.
I use an old Peavey TNT which heowns and the guitard uses my old Fender Twin, mainly because I store it there and hardly ever use it these days, so it prevents a family of mice moving in to it. Perhaps I should charge him a hire fee !

Other bands that I rehearse with in rehearsal normally split the cost of the room and if drums and amps aren't included, mostly the drums are, then you pay the extra bit on top as required for your drums or backline. So I take my amp rather than pay if required.
I've never paid for a rehearsal as a dep nor asked one to contribute.

It's interesting to see what seems to be "normal" in different parts of the UK.

In Edinburgh and Glasgow I've never encountered a practice room that *didn't* provide PA and mics, guitar amps, bass amp, and drum kit (minus cymbals).

The drummer brings his own cymbals (and maybe his own snare), I take my bass/pedals , guitarist takes his guitar/pedals. No one has to pay extra to hire anything. If either myself or the guitarist are feeling really keen we could take our own amps but the ones in the practice rooms here are all fairly decent and tonal nuance isn't too important to us.

Practice is always split equally.

It really depends on the band 'dynamic'.

I've been in a band where I would expect the drummer to pay for hire of the kit.
I've 'been in a band' where I've expected to pay for a rehearsal but the guys told me I was a dep so not to pay.
I've been in a band where the band leader has paid.
I've been in a band where the band 'treasurer' has collected our split down to the last penny. Very interesting dividing £40 out of a 7 piece.
I've been in a band where if a member can't make the rehearsal we still met and they still had to pay (Not my descision!)

I think if this thread is directed at a situation you have found yourself in and you or others feel you are being taken advantage of then you should ask the drummer to pay.

It's all about getting on together and that's a two way thing.

Yeah, I agree. Horses for courses and that.

If the drummer isn't bringing his kit cos he can't be arsed, but everyone else is bringing their own kit I'd make him pay for it.

Different matter if the only way he can get there on time is if the kit is hired. All about consideration, responsibility, teamwork and compromise.