Why become a member? ×

should rehearsal costs be split equally?

MacDaddy

Mmm. I Was used to dealing with stingy guitarists. Whenever I rehearsed, we just shared the cost equally ( ie £8-10 each for 3-4 hours) .
Can't really remember drummers being an issue . If you all get on well, then why not split equally and enjoy a harmonious band relationship while it's there.?

In a rehearsal I would expect ALL the band members to playing the kit that they'll use at a gig. If it means you need more time to set up, so be it and you all divvy up. As a bass player would you be happy playing through a crap amp and no effects? The drummer is the same.

If you want to save time (and money) then help get his kit in and learn how to help set it up.

Steve

I say the drummer should pay for kit hire. I wouldn't expect the band to pay for a bass amp if I needed to hire one. However, our drummer is a skinflint and in practice we split the cost four ways. Reluctantly. If he wasn't such a good drummer I'd make a lot more fuss about it.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1426891827' post='2723291']
It's a rehearsal, it's what you want to sound like on a gig. Why the hell would you not use the gear you'll use on the gig?

Confused.

Steve
[/quote]

Rehearsing with your full gig set-up, with the aim of ironing out practical bugs, is known as a 'technical rehearsal'. If you are just rehearsing new material, then it can save a lot of time using kit that is already set up, even if it sounds a bit Barry White.

If you are rehearsing [i]old material[/i], you are wasting your time and money, regardless of how the costs are split!

Question, who uses and pays for rehearsal space, pros, musicians on the road, younger musicians living in apartments with no attic or basement?

I have never played in a band that didn't rehearse in one of the members basement. Is that unusual?

Blue

Our rehearsal space.

Blue

Edited by blue

It's a rehearsal, it's what you want to sound like on a gig. Why the hell would you not use the gear you'll use on the gig?
[/quote]

In our case the drummer (being a drummer) has no bloody transport and cadges a lift to rehearsals from the guitarist (as does the singer) and there's no room in the car for three people, the guitarist's gear AND a full drum kit. That's why! ;)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426892868' post='2723305']
I have never played in a band that didn't rehearse in one of the members basement. Is that unusual?
[/quote]

It is in London. Space is very much at a premium and it's hard to rehearse a band (particularly a rock band with acoustic drums) in someone's house without annoying the neighbours.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1426893553' post='2723313']
It is in London. Space is very much at a premium and it's hard to rehearse a band (particularly a rock band with acoustic drums) in someone's house without annoying the neighbours.
[/quote]

Got it, were actually out in the country with no one around for miles.

Blue

Edited by blue

Confused.

Steve
[/quote]

I don't know of any band that rehearses with their gig gear.

As a bar band, we only rehearse when were fine tuning new material.

No way would I lug my stage gear to a rehearsal. How would you sound the way you would sound at a gig because you used the same gear at rehearsal?

To replicate the sound at a gig, wouldn't you have to rehearse with the PA from the gig with the same sound guy? Setting up up your stage PA for rehearsals then tearing it down and hauling it to a gig would not be very practical. Unless you only gig once a year.

There are a lot of other variables that would impact how you will sound at a gig.

Blue

Edited by blue

I think that the cost should be split equally amongst all, and if on occaison someone has to hire something then that just be lumped in - we can all suffer gear malfunction, or have to come to rehearsal straight from work. But if someone wants to hire something on a regular basis to make their life easier, then they should pay for the pleasure themselves.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426894424' post='2723327']
There are a lot of other variables that would impact how you will sound at a gig???????
[/quote]

Quite, depending on the gig, how many bands are playing and where you are on the bill it's possible you won't be able to use your own gear and need to rely on the kit and backline provided for quick and easy changeover, among other reasons.

I thought the idea of using rehearsal rooms is so you don't have to hump a load of gear about, basic drum kit, PA for vocals, amps for the guitarist(s) and bassist, means an equal split, if someone chooses to bring their own gear that's there choice, still an equal split

Our guitarist insists on using his gig gear for rehearsals (guitar changes as well and all those sodding pedals) I find it pointless. I don't care if he's got the right sound for a solo, just the right notes or chords, in the right place. His tone choices are for gigs, not rehearsals.

Re the OP, equal split unless someone is hiring gear because they're too lazy to bring theirs.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1426896303' post='2723339']
Personally I think whoever in the band that keeps turning up hopelessly unprepared and uses the time to learn a song from scratch rather than do that in their own time should pay an extra levvy but I doubt it would catch on...
[/quote]

IME the most unprepared is also the least able to pay.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1426896951' post='2723347']
Our guitarist insists on using his gig gear for rehearsals (guitar changes as well and all those sodding pedals) I find it pointless. I don't care if he's got the right sound for a solo, just the right notes or chords, in the right place. His tone choices are for gigs, not rehearsals.

Re the OP, equal split unless someone is hiring gear because they're too lazy to bring theirs.
[/quote]

None of us use our pedal boards at rehearsal. Rehearsal is bare bones, small rehearsal amps, scaled back PA with monitors and that's about it. Get in and get out without a lot of hassle.

Re the OP, equal split.

Off topic; At the bar/pub band level IMO everything should be an equal split. It's not enough money to argue over.

Blue

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1426896951' post='2723347']
....His tone choices are for gigs, not rehearsals.
[/quote]

I think I'd be more forgiving - sometimes rehearsal is the only time you can get loud enough to see what you're going to sound like on the night.

Unless it goes on for hours, that is...in which case nowt wrong with the guitarist turning up early.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426892868' post='2723305']
Question, who uses and pays for rehearsal space, pros, musicians on the road, younger musicians living in apartments with no attic or basement?

Blue

Our rehearsal space.

Blue
[/quote]Basement? you wont find many basements in the "little old UK" Blue!
Unfortunately, most of us have to hire rehearsal studios to have a full session together. :(