Why become a member? ×

standard of rehearsal rooms

lojo

The few i've used round here have been uhh, questionable quality. The one in Wigan where the guy couldn't even be bothered to put his joint down to show us where the room was, just shouted upstairs first door on the left. One of them does have a fully functioning Ampeg 810 though, but that's about it.

Liam

I had the 'pleasure' of going to Alaska Studios near Waterloo recently. The first thing that hits you as you walk in is the smell of damp. The studios were pretty bad. Small stuffy rooms, old gear, crap mics and stands. And at the end of the night the 4 hour session cost over £70! I'll never go there again.
I have been going to The Premesis on Hackney Road a lot with a different band. That place is a whole different experience. Loads of rooms of varying sizes, split over 3 floors, and there's even a lift. It's very clean and all their PA and rentable gear is top notch. And it's not much more expensive than a lot of the dives around. The only bummer is parking there, but I guess a lot of London rehearsal rooms have that problem these days.

Just to add my tuppence-worth - my absolute favourite place in London is Bally Studios in Tottenham Hale. Great people, lovely rooms, easy parking and often as not you'll find them hoovering in the room you're going to use with a bit of incense buring to get that 'overheated drummer' smell out of your nostrils :)

The odd time amps haven't worked they're straight in with a replacement, but very much a rarity.

[url="http://www.ballystudios.co.uk/"]http://www.ballystudios.co.uk/[/url]

Enterprise in Denmark Street ? I refuse to use it...it should be wiped off the face of the earth with copious amounts of Old Testament brimstone.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1429011691' post='2746942']
It has been...
[/quote]

I've not been down that part of town for a while (as you can obviously tell !)

The world of music is a better place for its destruction.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1429011832' post='2746945']
I've not been down that part of town for a while (as you can obviously tell !)

The world of music is a better place for its destruction.
[/quote]

indeed... I doubt many tears will be shed for its passing.

I'm convinced it's entirly to blame for the standard of London studios... everyone else thought "well if enterprise can get away with it so can we"

Mind you it had competition from Scar studios in Camden (also now thankfully closed) for title of "Londons crapiest rehearsal studio"

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1429012139' post='2746952']
indeed... I doubt many tears will be shed for its passing.

I'm convinced it's entirly to blame for the standard of London studios... everyone else thought "well if enterprise can get away with it so can we"
[/quote]

You may indeed be right there ! How they got away with beign so unabashedly crap baffled me. Every time I went there after the 1st time I did so under extreme duress. The place made me want to check up on the dates of my last immunisation boosters.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1429012356' post='2746958']
You may indeed be right there ! How they got away with beign so unabashedly crap baffled me. Every time I went there after the 1st time I did so under extreme duress. The place made me want to check up on the dates of my last immunisation boosters.
[/quote]

Yes it was a perfect trio of crap gear, mouldy rooms and pungent aroma...

They did have a huge old school hiwatt cab in the top room for a while though that sounded pretty good... however that was the only positive thing that ever occurred there ever. :mellow:

I have been the rehearsal studio game for about 22 years, and still am involved with one of the studios mentioned on the last page for the last 15 years.
It's basically a nightmare trying to please everyone, every band has different requirements... doesn't want to pay for it, and usually has no respect for the studio or equipment, so there lies the problem.

There's no point putting high end gear in a studio (I've never seen a bass cab original speakers last more than a year on average for example)...... Compression drivers on PA's usually last less than a year, carpets get ruined from people spilling coffee, tea, fizzy drinks, fags, beer etc.. walls get graffiti, toilets get abused by people with no idea of personal hygeine who also stink the place out for the next band, the soundproofing required means it's virtually impossible to properly ventilate a room, drinks get spilled down amps, desks..... etc,... etc... all for £5 an hr !!!!!!

[quote name='chevy-stu' timestamp='1429012731' post='2746968']
all for £5 an hr !!!!!!
[/quote]

£5 an hour :o

In all fairness though, I do hear what your saying but I have seen some nice clean studios with decent gear (some of them even have a bass amp other than a ragged to death ashdown monstrosity) so it must be possible to run a decent place at a profit...

Edited by CamdenRob

To be honest i think airplay do it right , cheap and clean NO backline , unless you go ask and pay a tiny supplement ( 2 quid) covering the member of staff giving it a once over when it goes back , then when you return it they know who's buggered it .

I think we pay 8.75 an hour ;-)

Edited by synthaside

I have been the rehearsal studio game for about 22 years, and still am involved with one of the studios mentioned on the last page for the last 15 years.
It's basically a nightmare trying to please everyone, every band has different requirements... doesn't want to pay for it, and usually has no respect for the studio or equipment, so there lies the problem.

There's no point putting high end gear in a studio (I've never seen a bass cab original speakers last more than a year on average for example)...... Compression drivers on PA's usually last less than a year, carpets get ruined from people spilling coffee, tea, fizzy drinks, fags, beer etc.. walls get graffiti, toilets get abused by people with no idea of personal hygeine who also stink the place out for the next band, the soundproofing required means it's virtually impossible to properly ventilate a room, drinks get spilled down amps, desks..... etc,... etc... all for £5 an hr !!!!!!
[/quote]

Really pleased to see this post. I've regularly used quite a few of the London rehearsal rooms mentioned in this thread (Panic, Survival, Airplay, Scar, etc.) and I am routinely appalled at how the equipment, the rooms and the facilities are often treated by musicians.

There does seem to be a general attempt to move slightly upmarket at the moment, with some much nicer facilities coming on-stream in recent years, but it's far too early to tell whether or not these will succeed.

[/quote]

I absolutely see your point. Sounds to me like when attendees at the London Bass Guitar Show complain that bassists are always slapping and keeping the volume too high, and then do exactly that when it's their turn at the rig.

Edited by bluejay

Current rehearsal space in Exeter is secret, invitation only. Lots of steps, but decent room, bring your own gear, or ask the guys who leave their's there anyway really nicely. Price reasonable which has made it beat the usual exeter suspects into submission.
Once he's finished building it it might all change, but at the moment it's good.

FM Studios in Cumbernauld. Good quality rooms, warm, carpeted (clean) various guitar amps with Ashdown bass rigs with Roland kys amps. Vocal only PA with good quality monitors & mics. Guys are helpful and always willing to chat, they have a small collection of gtrs and basses in case of emergency.
Have used Berkeley in Glasgow and most people use it as the guide or comparison for other studios. Very well run.

Have tried one in Blantyre, Hamilton which was pretty basic in a basement with poor gear.
Few others in Glasgow with some dodgy PA's or amps.

All typically £30 / 3hrs

Dave

Airplay in feltham are good - www.airplaystudios.co.uk

Tweeters in Leatherhead are ok ish - pretty expensive though

Scream Studios in Croydon are ok but impossible to park nearby

Waterats in Woking is ok

Realistic Rock in Epsom is good but always booked

There's another near Brooklands that was good - can't remember the name tho!

In recent times I've been impressed with all of the rehearsal spaces that we have used. Things have certainly improved.

A couple of nights back I went for an audition with a band at the Practice Roomz in Stevenage. The kit was all good, room very spacious, comfortable seating and everything clean.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1429265852' post='2749781']
Trying [url="http://www.kafristudios.co.uk/"]http://www.kafristudios.co.uk/[/url] in North East London on Sunday for the 1st time, I'll report back next week with my thoughts.
[/quote]

Haven't been there... looks like a handy location.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1429266029' post='2749784']
Haven't been there... looks like a handy location.
[/quote]

Pretty central for us as a trio who will be travelling from SE London, NW London and Hertfordshire.

There's another rehearsal space near by we might try next time.

http://www.premisesstudios.com/contact-us/