Why become a member? ×

standard of rehearsal rooms

lojo

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429249969' post='2749601']
If anyone is in the North East I recommend Downcast and Sounds Inc.

There's one in Heaton we use (Not naming names) which is pretty dire. However the two I mentioned are great with Downcast having a well stocked fridge and supplies!
[/quote]

+1 for downcast, really good rehearsel room with a really friendly owner. They also do recording too if I remember rightly.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1429267198' post='2749801']
There's another rehearsal space near by we might try next time.
http://www.premisesstudios.com/contact-us/
[/quote]

I used this place many times back in the day and it was good. Not been recently though. :)

The way to do it (and way I do it now) is to have 2, standards of rooms...
1. cheap rooms at £5 - 10 hr dark, smelly, older basic gear mostly combos, basic 400w PA, as cheap as poss for the kids and cheapskates, and 'up-andcoming' bands
2. mid price rooms at £10 - 20 hr which are brighter, newer better gear, valve guitar amps, 1000 watt + PA, monitors etc.. aircon/ventilation, more spacious, seating.

The gear, and fixtures in the cheap rooms does get trashed, but hardly ever in the better rooms.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1429265323' post='2749777']
A couple of nights back I went for an audition with a band at the Practice Roomz in Stevenage. The kit was all good, room very spacious, comfortable seating and everything clean.
[/quote]

Kris is a real nice, helpful guy too.

Not all of the rooms are spacious though... :)

We used Kafri Studios yesterday for the 1st time and all went well, there's just 3 of us and the small room we had was fine but would be a bit of a squash if there were more of us, they do have bigger rooms so we may try one of those next time. It did smell a little bit damp but nothing terrible and usual for places like this in railway arches.

The Ashdown 4x10 combo worked and sounded fine as did the PA.

The guy running the place was friendly, helpful and professional.

Location wise it was easy for me to get to by train using the Overground service to Hoxton then a short 5 minute walk to the studio's location, weirdly there don't seem to be any pubs nearby despite the fact the next arch along is a brewery! The other two band members drove and parked outside the entrance, there is also plenty of street parking but there was a wedding at the nearby Mosque so it was busy.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1429518870' post='2752076']
We used Kafri Studios yesterday for the 1st time and all went well, there's just 3 of us and the small room we had was fine but would be a bit of a squash if there were more of us, they do have bigger rooms so we may try one of those next time. It did smell a little bit damp but nothing terrible and usual for places like this in railway arches.

The Ashdown 4x10 combo worked and sounded fine as did the PA.

The guy running the place was friendly, helpful and professional.

Location wise it was easy for me to get to by train using the Overground service to Hoxton then a short 5 minute walk to the studio's location, weirdly there don't seem to be any pubs nearby despite the fact the next arch along is a brewery! The other two band members drove and parked outside the entrance, there is also plenty of street parking but there was a wedding at the nearby Mosque so it was busy.
[/quote]

Sounds like another one to add to the list of good'uns then :)