Why become a member? ×

Kanye West

UglyDog

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1423909417' post='2690215']
Like thousands of others before him, he's got you all talking about him for right or wrong reasons.
[/quote]

Yes, yes. it is the Master and we are the fools not worthy to gather the crumbs from beneath it's table.

You may think this is all us talking about it, but the truth is it's a mere blip between scratching my arse and going for a dump

Edited by Billy Apple

Well, as stated, I got me the new Beck album and on first impression, it's very good. Purely personal, but I won't be buying any Kanye or Beyoncé material. Thanks goes out to Kanye right enough, cos I wouldn't have bought the Beck album were it not for him! ;)

.....and just when you thought he couldn't be any more of a twat;

[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11418110/Kim-Kardashian-posts-image-of-20-month-old-daughter-wearing-bulletproof-vest.html"]http://www.telegraph...proof-vest.html[/url]

Yes he can!

Edited by phil.c60

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1424197399' post='2693761']
.....and just when you thought he couldn't be any more of a twat;

[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11418110/Kim-Kardashian-posts-image-of-20-month-old-daughter-wearing-bulletproof-vest.html"]http://www.telegraph...proof-vest.html[/url]

Yes he can!
[/quote]
37!? I thought he was much older.

My thoughts on the whole thing are quite straightforward. Kanye did this for one reason - Kanye. He's not anywhere near as untalented an artist as a lot are making out in this thread - he's made a couple of albums that have in no small way defined the rap genre in the last decade or so, and as a producer he is rightly held in high esteem. Just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't make it any less valid artistically!

But...

He's a dick. And not even an erect dick, just a big floppy dick getting in everyone's face with his dickiness. His argument that he's doing this to highlight racism in the music industry is nonense - he started doing this because he thought that he should have won awards that went to someone else - it was throwing toys out of the pram - nothing more, nothing less. He's stopped concerts because the people that weren't standing on his command didn't let him see that they were disabled and couldn't stand. He's made openly antisemitic remarks. He called his kid North, ferchrissake! Outside of his music, the only thing he has done of any merit was to embarrass Bush about his reaction (or lack of) to the devastation of the poorer districts of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

And for that matter, why has Beyonce not said anything? After all, the man has form after bombing Taylor Swift's acceptance speech at the VMAs. If they're such good friends, why not just tell him to cut it out?

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1424206880' post='2693918']
[b]He's not anywhere near as untalented an artist as a lot are making out in this thread[/b] - he's made a couple of albums that have in no small way defined the rap genre in the last decade or so,
[/quote]
Part of his problem for many is, [b]he's[/b] nowhere near as talented as [b]he[/b] makes out in other publications.

KW says,[i] "Beck needs to respect artistry and he should've given his award to Beyonce".[/i]
Perhaps Mr West should himself "respect artistry" and give any awards that he may have won to all those artists that he's ripped off/sampled.
[url="http://www.whosampled.com/Kanye-West/?sp=1"]http://www.whosampled.com/Kanye-West/?sp=1[/url]

But then that opens up the whole "is sampling stealing?" debate (for the record, as long as it's credited then no, it isn't!). Does he have an overinflated sense of self-worth? Undoubtedly. Is he a disrespectful twat by doing what he did to Beck, Taylor Swift and others? No argument here. Is he a talentless hack? Not by a long stretch.

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1424208522' post='2693936']
But then that opens up the whole "is sampling stealing?" debate (for the record, as long as it's credited then no, it isn't!). Does he have an overinflated sense of self-worth? Undoubtedly. Is he a disrespectful twat by doing what he did to Beck, Taylor Swift and others? No argument here. Is he a talentless hack? Not by a long stretch.
[/quote]
That's about right in my book.

But then that opens up the whole "is sampling stealing?" debate
[/quote]
Not really! You say:
[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1424206880' post='2693918']
Just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't make it any less valid artistically!
[/quote]
Indeed, for me though, it's the sampling of significant "Grooves" and "Hooks" that makes "it less valid artistically".

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1423898489' post='2690132']
In a studio with lots of layering and autotune she might be alright but live I think she's terrible
[/quote]

Only saw her on the TV at the Glastonbury gig... that seemed quite a show.
How much help she had, I don't know but then she wouldn't be alone in that..by any means.

[/quote]

I'm not saying he's talenless, just that I don't like him or his music. I like rap, as said, Cypress hill, Tupac among others. I just don't like Kanye and if someone else does, bully for them. It won't change my outlook on his talent or lack of.
I do think he is over rated, but again that's down to taste.
What kind of world would it be if we all liked the same things ?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1424285096' post='2694782']

Only saw her on the TV at the Glastonbury gig... that seemed quite a show.
How much help she had, I don't know but then she wouldn't be alone in that..by any means.
[/quote]

Yip, I've heard Motley Crüe playing " live " on some show in 'Merica and they had backing tracks. Now it was argued that they were still live, but I think live is totally live, so I was under impressed .