Why become a member? ×

Kanye West

UglyDog

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1426671038' post='2720447']
Oh FGS. No, I'm not. You said "[i]If his first albums had been terrible - there wouldn't be a thread in his name on here would there?[/i]", and in reply I am pointing out that the two do not go hand in hand; just because we are talking about him on here, at length, does not [i]automatically[/i] make his first albums the work of greatness.
[/quote]

The point is that he is famous because of his first album or two, and so indirectly, this thread wouldn't exist unless they were successful.

I believe the word used was 'terrible' and hence referring to quality, not success. It has been argued many times on many different threads here over the years, that famous/successful does not automatically mean good/great. For example: 1 Direction's first two albums have both outsold the highest selling classical music album of all time ('Carreras Domingo Pavarotti in Concert'). Does that make them musically superior?

Edited by UglyDog

Yes, you're right, "successful" does not mean it's great music, but I doubt he would have gotten quite so famous if the first two albums were genuinely "terrible". Obviously that's all subjective

Anyway, I didn't want to get in the middle of an argument sorry, just thought I might clear it up :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1426620053' post='2719978']
this one from [b][url="http://newsthump.com/2015/03/17/glastonbury-fans-begin-preparing-bottles-of-piss-for-kanye-west/"]NEWSTHUMP[/url][/b] wins the internet (as they say)

[url="http://newsthump.com/2015/03/17/glastonbury-fans-begin-preparing-bottles-of-piss-for-kanye-west/"][/url]
[/quote]

Oh dear. I don't know whether to be alarmed or ashamed. And before anyone starts, yes I know it's posted on a satirical website <_< :blush:

That doesn't mean it's not gonna happen (<disclaimer> and I'll add that I would never condone bottling someone off of a stage for any reason</disclaimer>).

I know that Glasto has recently diversified to appeal to a larger audience (Beyonce, JayZ and Dolly Parton etc) so I'm not arguing for the set to be pulled, but I guess that the spirit behind the festival has be replaced in favour of big name acts to draw in a larger audience and increase commercial revenues etc.

Whatever I think of Kanye as a person (and I think plenty - massive tool for starters), his music is [i]popular[/i] and people obviously go to see his shows and buy his music. That doesn't mean the music is any good - it just means its popular...

Not my cup of tea, but then I guess it's somebody elses so I couldn't give a toss - I'm not gonna buy his records or go to see his show so whether he plays Glasto or not bothers me not

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1426683015' post='2720682']
Not my cup of tea, but then I guess it's somebody elses so I couldn't give a toss - I'm not gonna buy his records or go to see his show so whether he plays Glasto or not bothers me not
[/quote]

This is precisely why I have nothing to contribute here...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426683185' post='2720693']
This is precisely why I have nothing to contribute here...
[/quote]
Yep, the only thing that bothered me was the (apparent) desire for people to see him being bottled. My guess is that if that happened, he'd pull a Morrissey and flounce off the stage. No great loss, but not the way I would prefer it to happen. Can't see the organisers of Reading/Leeds, VFest or any other festival extending him an invite though. If people stopped buying his records and going to his shows this would be a non-problem, but no accounting for taste.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1426671657' post='2720463']
Then again, the thread is titled "Kanye West" and not "That guy who made an arse of himself at the Grammys". He was already a household name at this point.
[/quote]

Back at ya.

Edited by Jenny_Innie

That's odd. I could have sworn YOU said "If his first albums had been terrible - there wouldn't be a thread in his name on here would there?". No mention there of popularity or success. Or maybe you DO think there's a direct link between fame and talent?

Oh, and the reason I titled this thread "Kanye West" was simply that I couldn't be arsed to type "That guy who made an arse of himself at the Grammys". :)

Edited by UglyDog