Why become a member? ×

Ashdown B Social - really?

Muppet

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a very cool amp for the home with the emphasis on classic looks, versatility and a clean (no wires) approach. I like the idea that you can stream bluetooth audio from a smartphone and just use it as a music system in bass downtime. Coupling that with wireless bass makes a very neat package IMO.

I think its a great idea and would be certainly interested in one. The fact I can use it as a music steaming device is a big plus. A down side is the apple only support. If they music stream quality is as good as they claim i don't see an issue with the price either. Compare it to Sonos or a Bose system.

[quote name='Kempy535' timestamp='1424248672' post='2694224']A down side is the apple only support.[/quote]\

Bugger, Apple only?! That's annoying and lazy in this day and age, there's a hell of a lot more non-Apple smartphones out there, I guess it's more to do with the folks who make the software than anything else though. Oh well, one thing crossed off the GAS list, that's a shame, I guess my wife will be pleased...

Eude

[quote name='Kempy535' timestamp='1424248672' post='2694224']
I think its a great idea and would be certainly interested in one. The fact I can use it as a music steaming device is a big plus. A down side is the apple only support. If they music stream quality is as good as they claim i don't see an issue with the price either. Compare it to Sonos or a Bose system.
[/quote]

Apple only???

That's... hard to justify these days.

Ah well, as a die-hard non-apple user, I guess it's one toy less to worry about ;)
I like the idea, if it works and sounds as good as claimed, it would tempt me. But it's got to be supported by non-apple products or it's a non-starter for me. Android, Linux and Windows in my home, but not a single Apple apart from the ones in the fruit basket, and they're all intact ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1424251775' post='2694265']
Apple only???

Ah well, as a die-hard non-apple user, I guess it's one toy less to worry about ;)
I like the idea, if it works and sounds as good as claimed, it would tempt me. But it's got to be supported by non-apple products or it's a non-starter for me. Android, Linux and Windows in my home, but not a single Apple apart from the ones in the fruit basket, and they're all intact ;)
[/quote]Same for me. It wouldn`t be the price that has put me off, but the restrictions.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1424251775' post='2694265']
Apple only???

[/quote]

Not really in this case - it's just the amp simulation via a plugged in iPhone/iPad that's Apple only, and until recently you simply couldn't do low latency audio processing on Android.

With the B Social, I could replace several of the things that take up so much space in my room. Okay, so I may not use all the features, but being able to plug in to a decent practice amp, and stream Spotify from my phone, without any wires attached, and having the option of a friend jamming along, that price starts to seem very attractive (plus it looks great, and as musicians we all know that really, it's about the look ;) ).

I'm very looking forward to trying one at the Bass Show this year, and potentially getting rid of quite a few awkward cables, and plug sockets, and gaining some bedroom space back.

I think everyone is entitled to an opinion, but let's not be rude folks. I'm very proud to be an Ashdown user, but that doesn't mean I think all other brands are awful. Everyone should have their own thing otherwise this site would be pointless, with us all owning the same amp, cab and bass. Now that would be a sad occurrence. Well done Ashdown for giving something a go.

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1424295768' post='2694961']
With the B Social, I could replace several of the things that take up so much space in my room. Okay, so I may not use all the features, but being able to plug in to a decent practice amp, and stream Spotify from my phone, without any wires attached, and having the option of a friend jamming along, that price starts to seem very attractive (plus it looks great, and as musicians we all know that really, it's about the look ;) ).

I'm very looking forward to trying one at the Bass Show this year, and potentially getting rid of quite a few awkward cables, and plug sockets, and gaining some bedroom space back.

I think everyone is entitled to an opinion, but let's not be rude folks. I'm very proud to be an Ashdown user, but that doesn't mean I think all other brands are awful. Everyone should have their own thing otherwise this site would be pointless, with us all owning the same amp, cab and bass. Now that would be a sad occurrence. Well done Ashdown for giving something a go.
[/quote]

Well said that man :)

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1424293731' post='2694932']
Not sure a demo's been posted yet...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b7UttqFowU"]https://www.youtube....h?v=4b7UttqFowU[/url]

It comes with a wireless transmitter and is sounding pretty cool
[/quote]

I think so too.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1424293034' post='2694918']
at £600 an Apple user will accept this for a functional device that looks the business. Android users on the other hand tend to be more cheapskate and think Open Source means they should get stuff for less...
[/quote]

you're very mistaken about the reasons of many like me to avoid Apple... Money is not the issue at all :lol:

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1424274736' post='2694637']
Not really in this case - it's just the amp simulation via a plugged in iPhone/iPad that's Apple only
[/quote]

oh, my interest has revived then... I should check it out when they come out. I like the idea, I like the look, if I like the sound... I might just get one.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1424305342' post='2695054']

you're very mistaken about the reasons of many like me to avoid Apple... Money is not the issue at all :lol:
[/quote]

Well put, I use Apples for my work, and kind of at home, (although I'm trying to transition back to Windows at the moment, think 10 might be worth waiting for), but I could have an iPhone if I wanted one, the rub is that I don't want one.

Eude

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1424295768' post='2694961']

[/quote]

Yes! :hi:

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1424358376' post='2695519']
Out of curiosity, if it's not money that you avoid Apple for. Why is it?
[/quote]

I personally just don't like how iPhones work, I've always hated iTunes, and the prospect of using it to manage the contents of my phone is completely mind bending!
I appreciate that now you don't have to rely on iTunes as much as you did on earlier iPhones.
Another thing that's always got to me is some (and only some I might add) iPhone users' smugness in having an iPhone, however I do see the irony in being smug about not having one...

I could probably rant for a very long time about the reasons I don't like Apple as a company anymore, but you asked about the phones and this isn't really the place.

Fingers crossed the AppTek guys will develop their software for Android and Windows Phone too in the near future.

Eude

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1424358376' post='2695519']
Out of curiosity, if it's not money that you avoid Apple for. Why is it?
[/quote]

I have used apple and android and in general there is definitely limitations of apple products. Not for the average user but for serious geeks and power users android due to its nature of being open is much better. For everyday use im happy with ios. Android phones are more powerful and i don't care what iphone users say they really are. Also far more variety of phones. Much the same with pc's actually.
I like how apple will makes sure that apps etc will run properly on the equipment unlike many android or windows programs.

I think your comment about android users being cheapskate is a bit laughable, and typical of an apple fanperson.

I can't believe the b social only supports apple os's this isn't 2009. I think that is a major put off for some, like the many more android users there are in the world.