Why become a member? ×

Ashdown B Social - really?

Muppet

Interesting. The fact I don't have 600 notes isn't Ashdown's problem and lets be honest, there's always space for more living room based products for accountants kids. I'm sure this will be the first of many 'lifestyle' products that accommodate the new 'rock and roll' at home on my sofa vibe.

Ashdown fella - why is it cheaper in the US if pricing is always about the cost of production, because there's been a suggestion that us English musicians should suppor English companies, why if you price the products like this? Im sure there's some business BS reason to do it like 'defending margins' but that really does annoy me enough to consider otherwise. I know US products are cheaper in US, but I'd expect them to be. I'm not having a dig, I happily use a Mag300 210 combi and no major gripes.

Edited by Left Foot

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1425986310' post='2713012']
Ashdown fella - why is it cheaper in the US if pricing is always about the cost of production? I don't trust that at all to be honest.
[/quote]

Fair point that, and surely it would be expected to be cheaper in the UK if it's produced here! That's a question you don't often get to ask reps from companies!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1425983953' post='2712956']
And? :)
[/quote]

Epic fail on my part I'm afraid.
I had a bit of a 'mare on the Saturday, arrived late and had to leave early, due to poorly child issues. Every time I made my way to the Ashdown stand it was too busy or too loud to try out something a practice amp volume.
All I can confirm with some confidence is that its beautifully well made, absolutely solid and really looks the part.

I hope some other folks had more luck than me and will chime in with some real world input.

Hope to visit Ashdown HQ one day, perhaps I can arrange something sooner rather than later and have a go there.

Eude

[quote name='BruceBass3901' timestamp='1422975669' post='2679043']
I think I am right in saying that Nate is still using Ashdown for his work with Foo Fighters but is using the Verellen for his other project 'Lieutenant.' He was using the Meatsmoke with Sunny Day Real Estate through an ABM810 back in 2009 as well.
[/quote]

Right, just for reference, I have been set straight on this now!

Nate hasn't used the Meatsmoke to record with AT ALL! Can't explain why it is in a couple of pics with him...

'Lieutenant' is Ashdown powered just like his stuff with Foos.

Also, I got to try the B-Social at the LBGS this weekend and can say that I was suitably impressed by it. Nice tone, quite a lot of volume and just generally a very nice unit. Most importantly, got to speak properly with the Ashdown boys about all their new kit and was very glad I did so!

Edited by BruceBass3901

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1426103203' post='2714484']
So has anyone from BC actually had a go on a B Social?
[/quote]
[quote name='BruceBass3901' timestamp='1426081107' post='2714136']

Also, I got to try the B-Social at the LBGS this weekend and can say that I was suitably impressed by it. Nice tone, quite a lot of volume and just generally a very nice unit. Most importantly, got to speak properly with the Ashdown boys about all their new kit and was very glad I did so!

[/quote]

Edited by BruceBass3901

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1426163587' post='2715067']

Oops - how did I miss that? Cheers Bruce.

So what does it' 'nice tone' sound like - trademark Ashdown sound or what?
[/quote]

Sounded like an Ashdown to me, which in my books is a good thing! It sounded quite similar to my Ashdown Tourbus when I played at the show, but that was cranked to compete with all the slapping etc. It could get the volume though and it wasn't farting out at all.

Would love to try one in a more controlled environment to get a better idea of what it can do.

• 9 months later...

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1451067426' post='2938121']
Ashdown B - Social featuring Doug Wimbish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUISyWXxF4
[/quote]

Really nice demo and playing. However as said above me what's it like with your standard bass line that 99% of bass players will be playing mostly.
It did sound like it had nice clarity, actual bass sounded a bit weak.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1451504389' post='2941088']
I'm still not quite getting this. It does a lot of things, but IMO none are a problem waiting to be solved. £600 is a lot of scratch for a few vaguely useful (and not-so-useful) features.

Good luck to 'em, though.
[/quote]

There's definitely some players that all these features will work for.

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1451505786' post='2941111']

There's definitely some players that all these features will work for.
[/quote]

Yeah and no. For £600 pounds you can get things that do everything the b social does but better, much better. Never mind what £600 would get you on the used market.
A separate bass and guitar combo that's properly voiced for there respective instrument will be no doubt cheaper and better, there's no way this can be voiced better than separate little combos that are also light and compact.

I can see the angle but the tiny amount of practicality it brings does not justify its price over things that do the job better and are only the slightest amount less practical. its like trying to solve a problem that isn't much of an issue with something over priced and naff looking too boot imo. Nothing at all against Ashdown from me, in fact I was using ashdown gear a few days ago and liked what I heard.
For £200 then it might seem something to consider however.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1451504389' post='2941088']
I'm still not quite getting this. It does a lot of things, but IMO none are a problem waiting to be solved. £600 is a lot of scratch for a few vaguely useful (and not-so-useful) features.

Good luck to 'em, though.
[/quote]

I agree. I just don't 'get it'. Yes, there are uses for it, but for that kind of money look at what else it could get you.

Actually, I spoke to Dan Gooday a couple of months ago, around the time I reviewed the RM800 head and we enjoyed a good natter especially around an area that I think the B-Social would really shine. Dan agreed, especially as it was maybe something that wasn't specifically evident.

I dunno, I remember many many people saying they couldn't see the point of the iPad. I could, about 10 years before it was invented whilst I was working with some of the very early tablet PCs. True story that.

I started this thread in January of this year. It's still not available to try in retailers and I have tried! In fact the number of times I've been told 'it's coming in the next month' is amazing, but I eventually gave up. It's going to be pretty much a year from announcing to selling. I work for a major car manufacturer and our time to market from announcing is no more than three months..... Cars are really more complicated than this.....

That aside, and as I have said a number of times before, I like the range of features and it looks like a great piece of kit but the cost is astronomical, especially if you compare it to excellent products like Yamaha's THR range. I really hope this succeeds as I think Ashdown are a great company but I think this has lost traction.

Steve

• 1 month later...

So I was the proud owner of a B-Social for two days for last week... Couldn't get on with it. Seemed to work OK with my lower output basses but it couldn't cope with the 2x9v preamp in my GB giving it a noticeably lower volume despite dialling down the input gain and using the master vol. The Apptek modelling was a joke with an audible delay between playing and hearing the effected signal. And the amp cab variants just providing different levels of boominess - even their own Ashdown models. The unit played audio OK but in the end that was all I was getting for £600 and my iPad docking station is better with more bass and sound spread but costing < £100. And despite me sending a desperate support plea to Ashdown via e-mail via their website, I've had no reply. Not sure this product and the appkit are ready for the market.

Suggest anyone interested in this unit test it very carefully first, including the apptek which I know is difficult in the shop but do it. All of this might be me being picky but I'm not sure it is? (Many thanks to PMT Manchester for their support and understanding throughout this episode!)

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1456178932' post='2986414']
So I was the proud owner of a B-Social for two days for last week... Couldn't get on with it. Seemed to work OK with my lower output basses but it couldn't cope with the 2x9v preamp in my GB giving it a noticeably lower volume despite dialling down the input gain and using the master vol. The Apptek modelling was a joke with an audible delay between playing and hearing the effected signal. And the amp cab variants just providing different levels of boominess - even their own Ashdown models. The unit played audio OK but in the end that was all I was getting for £600 and my iPad docking station is better with more bass and sound spread but costing < £100. And despite me sending a desperate support plea to Ashdown via e-mail via their website, I've had no reply. Not sure this product and the appkit are ready for the market.

Suggest anyone interested in this unit test it very carefully first, including the apptek which I know is difficult in the shop but do it. All of this might be me being picky but I'm not sure it is? (Many thanks to PMT Manchester for their support and understanding throughout this episode!)
[/quote]

I'm sorry to say this isn't far from what I expected. Glad you got a refund.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1456178932' post='2986414'] So I was the proud owner of a B-Social for two days for last week... Couldn't get on with it. Seemed to work OK with my lower output basses but it couldn't cope with the 2x9v preamp in my GB giving it a noticeably lower volume despite dialling down the input gain and using the master vol. The Apptek modelling was a joke with an audible delay between playing and hearing the effected signal. And the amp cab variants just providing different levels of boominess - even their own Ashdown models. The unit played audio OK but in the end that was all I was getting for £600 and my iPad docking station is better with more bass and sound spread but costing < £100. And despite me sending a desperate support plea to Ashdown via e-mail via their website, I've had no reply. Not sure this product and the appkit are ready for the market. Suggest anyone interested in this unit test it very carefully first, including the apptek which I know is difficult in the shop but do it. All of this might be me being picky but I'm not sure it is? (Many thanks to PMT Manchester for their support and understanding throughout this episode!) [/quote]

Hey Visog,

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the B Social. We don't seem to have had an email from you over the past couple of weeks so not sure what has happened there... You could have phoned us though and we would have chatted through any issues whilst you were sitting with the amp... However first thing we would say is that the B Social is quite a complex bit of kit and the fact that you state that you owned the unit for 'two days' is a bit of a worry as we don't think that is really enough time to get to grips with everything...

As regards your high output bass this is very odd as we have tested with countless basses over the past year or so including our 18v Status and Doug Wimbish's 9v Spector more recently with no problems at all. The active input is -15db compared to the passive input which should negate any high output issues. Are you saying even using the Active input its clipping on the front end regardless of input gain?

AppTek works perfectly and has been a feature on a number of our amps for around 3 years. Did you spend some time to set the app up correctly as this is critical? There are a lot of parameters to set/play with and if this isn't done then the results won't be great. First of all there is per saved set up an input level gain and output level that will need to played with to get the best out of things depending on the bass being used/amp sim chosen/fx etc. Once this is set and all is nice and clean/clear you can then adjust volumes on the actual B Social etc. It is also vital that you set the 'Noise and feedback filter' off to remove latency also turn off the 'adjust to prevent feedback' setting as well.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]'amp cab variants just providing different levels of boominess - even their own Ashdown models' - again can only suggest things weren't quite set up correctly as there shouldn't be any 'boominess'. Using the EQ within the app and setting the B Social fairly flat should remove any 'boominess' pretty easily(Also turning off the filters I previously mention will help too. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you wanted to pop down and see us in Essex for a couple of hours one day we will happily go through everything with you in person, bring your basses/Ipad/chocolate biscuits etc and we think that within a few mins you would have a different view on things. We know you've already returned your unit but you can come and have a play on ours and if your mind was changed enough you may decide to give one another go... [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Check out the B Social videos that we did with Doug Wimbish on our YouTube channel, there was no tricks, no post production etc on any of the B Social videos and despite using a fairly high output bass there is no boominess or latency issues when using AppTek sims and FX....[/font][/color]

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpmPk7hnfreWxFa0_GDpmJFWAs94ocJEj

Anyways let us know if you could pop down and see us as it would be great to be able to go through everything with you in person if we could...