Why become a member? ×

Ashdown B Social - really?

Muppet

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1422969102' post='2678938']
Honest question here mate, and I have no beef with Ashdown, they arent for me, but at the same time, my gear isn't for everyone...

I've only seen Nate Mendel using a Verellen Meatsmoke head on an Ampeg cab these days, and very recently, and is quoted as saying -

[i]"I’ve been looking for something like this for a long time. It’s so nice to be able to plug in your amp and know that it will be loud and clear, and that I don’t have to struggle with an amp that is…struggling"[/i]

[/quote]

I think I am right in saying that Nate is still using Ashdown for his work with Foo Fighters but is using the Verellen for his other project 'Lieutenant.' He was using the Meatsmoke with Sunny Day Real Estate through an ABM810 back in 2009 as well.

Edited by BruceBass3901

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1422997241' post='2679416']
UK company... But cheaper in USA?

[url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2015/02/03/ashdown-announces-desktop-b-social-bass-amp/"]http://www.notreble....ocial-bass-amp/[/url]
[/quote]

The VU meter looks off-centre in the video at the bottom of this page. That would drive me nuts.

Some good features on it, though. I like the idea of the wireless play-along.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1422997653' post='2679424']

The VU meter looks off-centre in the video at the bottom of this page. That would drive me nuts.

Some good features on it, though. I like the idea of the wireless play-along.
[/quote]

I see what you mean. Hopefully that's just because it's pointing slightly to the left. Hopefully.

Looks like a handy piece of kit to me. If that's the RRP then that's the RRP. Time will tell whether it sells or not.

I'm a recent convert to Ashdown amps having found "My" head in the ABM500.
I've tried a lot of different amps over the last few years and recently gone through a few since I've had my pair of Bergie 210's. I knew what I wanted was in these cabs but never quite got the desired results until I bought an ABM500. For me this is the perfect set up, tone, punch, heft etc etc.
A lot of the negative comments on here have always put me off trying Ashdown heads so kinda always avoided them, silly really. Tone is subjective I know but at every gig I've been to where the Bassist has been playing an ABM head I've been impressed.
I think it's great that a British Company is doing its utmost to bring out new concepts for us Bassists. If you were to use it to it's potential I can see it being a lot of fun, if it sounds good as well then yeah, I'd say worth the asking price.
I think it looks cool as well but would have concerns about the drivers not being protected.

As per Wayne's comment, +1,
please bring back the mini rig.
B)

Edited by kennyrodgers

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1422960605' post='2678772']
So where would you put the two extra speakers?
[/quote]

Without altering the dimensions i would have larger bass speaker right at the bottom corners and smaller full range ones at the front and a much smaller meter at the front. Or internal with some sort of simple reflex system and ports towards the front. Another idea would be front and on the top kind of like a phil jones briefcase. I can think of lots of variations to try.

However it would be more optimal to redesign it slightly to match my proposed speaker combination.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1423004062' post='2679574']
Without altering the dimensions i would have larger bass speaker right at the bottom corners and smaller full range ones at the front and a much smaller meter at the front. Or internal with some sort of simple reflex system and ports towards the front. Another idea would be front and on the top kind of like a phil jones briefcase. I can think of lots of variations to try.

However it would be more optimal to redesign it slightly to match my proposed speaker combination.
[/quote]

They are concentric drivers - they save a lot of space, so Ashdown can keep the unit small.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1423006247' post='2679610']
They are concentric drivers - they save a lot of space, so Ashdown can keep the unit small.
[/quote]

They also apparently cost more than 200 pounds. As said before i think 4 speakers two full range and 2 voiced for bass would of been better and cheaper. You would not have to make the unit larger with clever arrangement, it may slightly weigh more and i would assume be slightly less energy efficient but performance would be either similar or better while overall costs would go down. Also there speakers taken two years to develop with my idea it could of used off the shelf parts and still been the same size.

The looks of it have actually grown on me. Would like to see the speakers with heavy duty grills as they will be expensive to replace if damaged.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1422998716' post='2679454']
I think it looks great. Far beyond what I would ever need, but I can appreciate the versatility and the desire to do something new and groundbreaking. Ashdown rarely get any credit for heir pioneering spirit, and I think they should.
[/quote]

+1

It looks a cracking piece of kit and I got quite excited when I first heard about it. I understand the price point, but, If I had the cash to spare on it, would I buy it and would i get the use out of it at home?

If it sounded good, i would pay around £100 less than the RRP. I think it would look nice in my living room. Pity we didn`t get a demo of the sound in the NAMM clip. They are priced at £549 at Gak, so slightly cheaper than the RRP. Might be under £500 in 6 months time

Edited by timmo

As long as it doesn't catch fire, I actually think that it's pretty good - I had to see Mark's video on the link posted previously to "get it" - but as a do it all home, portable tool, I completely get it... and it's pretty good value from money from that point of view. It's not a gigging tool - I don't think that was ever the brief - but I could see this in many project studios, or people home studios... and with the app stuff, it gives you a lot of versatility from the demo making point of view. I don't want to be bothered with lugging a pedal board out just to play with some effects. Some times you don't want to load up a DAW to do the same... but this is there, all together in one unit... and for me, it works.

Whether it is before it's time, I don't know... but its a cool piece of studio kit/practice amp.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1423080517' post='2680539']
If this had a Barefaced badge on it , I imagine some people would be falling over in the rush to order one ....
[/quote]

Damn right... because Bareface have vast experience outside of speaker cabinet making.