Why become a member? ×

Band Meetings.

Marvin

How successful are these for you?... assuming you have them.

In theory they are a good idea, but my experience is that nothing ever really either a/ gets discussed, and hence b/ nothing gets decided.

It just ends up with a

" well, I don't mind, I'll go along with what everybody else wants to do..."

which has got to be one of the most annoying statements ever.

If you need to have a band meeting, probably best to have someone in the hotseat with some paper outlining what needs saying / deciding and writing down any decisions that get made, If there is no structure they'll end up like a bunch of people sitting around having a chin wig....

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1420486340' post='2649937']
If you need to have a band meeting, probably best to have someone in the hotseat with some paper outlining what needs saying / deciding and writing down any decisions that get made, If there is no structure they'll end up like a bunch of people sitting around having a [b]chin wig[/b]....
[/quote]

Would that be a false beard then? :ph34r:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1420483283' post='2649883']Nobody needs their time wasted and I'd be pissed if that turned out to be the case.
[/quote]

Sounds like you're not the only one......

[quote name='paulbass' timestamp='1420488102' post='2649976']
Great excuse to have a few beers and to chat about anything non-band related :crazy:
[/quote]
[quote name='inthedoghouse' timestamp='1420488426' post='2649980']
If we have a meeting outside rehearsals it's normally over a couple of pints :-)
[/quote]
[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1420494047' post='2650063']
Beers and curry sometimes coupled with actual band talk, very civilised and always good fun; I'm blessed with fantastic band mates.
[/quote]

We tend to have a "news" session at rehearsals every week, and the same at gigs once loaded in. If we`re going to do anything like block-booking accomodation if we have a gig requiring it we`ll get together but generally no need for external meetings. That said, we`re a 3 piece - in the 8 piece band I was in meetings were the only way as everyone needed an input, plus it wasa great excise for a curry.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1420563231' post='2650686']
We had our first and only one this time last year. Nothing got decided, except some really bad song choices, and it was the beginning of the slippery slope towards splitdom.

Don't do it!
[/quote]

Indeed.

Join band. Learn songs. Turn up. Play. Go home.

Job done.

To the OP:

What do you mean by band meeting? What outcome are you expecting?

From my experience band organisation falls into two categories;

1 - Group decisions on everything, these can be done in 5 minutes between songs at rehearsal whilst the guitarist(s) faff around doing whatever it is they do between songs

2 - Leader tells the group their decisions, group says ok

So I've never really done a band meeting but I'd be interested to hear how you feel they should go / what the outcome of these meetings is.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1420494763' post='2650073']
Would that be a false beard then? :ph34r:
[/quote]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smiffys-Long-Beard-Tash-Brown/dp/B000MHK894/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1420730723&sr=8-14&keywords=beard

No one else takes theirs to band meetings?