Why become a member? ×

Basses In/Basses Out 2014 - And What You've Learned......

spongebob

In - nowt (that could change)

Out - nowt (that's about to change)

Procrastinated over buying a Gibson Thunderbird at a very reasonable price...and lost it. My band parted with our old drummer (nice guy, couldn't keep time, very very loud leading to an arms race on stage to compensate) and found a new one (nice guy, keeps time, real good handle on the groove) who is worth his weight.

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1420313595' post='2648024']
In - nowt (that could change)

Out - nowt (that's about to change)

Procrastinated over buying a Gibson Thunderbird at a very reasonable price...and lost it. My band parted with our old drummer (nice guy, couldn't keep time, very very loud leading to an arms race on stage to compensate) and found a new one (nice guy, keeps time, real good handle on the groove) who is worth his weight.
[/quote]

Technically, this thread is "Bassess In/Basses Out [u][b]2014[/b][/u]...", so how could your In/Out possibly change?! :P

Edited by PianoFights

In

Squire mustang
briefly a mim P bass
HB jazz bass (with various upgrades)
Squire Affinity p bass
Bitsa squire/fender p bass
Peavey millennium active

Out

Epiphone eb0
Squire mustang
mim p bass
HB jazz bass
Squire Affinity p bass
Bitsa squire/fender p bass

What i learnt is i don't need to play a shortscale what i do need is a thin neck. However playing p basses made me a much better player going back to a thin neck like on my peavey my reach improved slightly.
Also playing heavy gauge fender flats improved my strength and speed when i went back to rounds.

I also learnt you should never ever sell a bass to buy a pretty girl jewelry!!!!.School boy error on my part :blush:

Well not sure i can remember them all.... but

Currently in:
1974 Fender jazz (My holy grail, Y.O.B. bass...weighs a tank but i love it despite it not being my main working bass...mostly use for reggae with flats)
2013 Limelight 70's P bass (Fender replica) - Now this is my working bass, light ish, fitted Wizard trad pick up...wonderful for my soul...and the soul band!
Farida P bass (The lounge bass)
Incoming Sterling 4 S.U.B. bass (Because expensive Ray's never work for me)

Out:
1989 Stingray...great bass
Lakland JO5 (Best 5 strings ever...of course)
Ibanez BTB 5 string (Surprisingly nice and versatile)

What have I learned:
1) Well, alas i like P basses and Limelights are simply sublime...but only with jazz width necks haha.
2) If i ever need a 5 I will not be happy until it is a Lakland,
3) When i have a Musicman Stingray it's one of the first things to go...when i don't have a Musicman I want one in my life, currently awaiting a cheapy S.U.B. to mod.
4) Don't under estimate cheaper basses...my Farida is amazing - although i have customised it and made it expensive!

And GAS into the new Year has to be an Ibanez Musician, A Warwick of some sort, The Retrovibe Zygote and I am strangely drawn to these new PRS basses..Albatross & Dodo or whatever they're called. :D

[quote name='PianoFights' timestamp='1420388567' post='2648694']
Technically, this thread is "Bassess In/Basses Out [u][b]2014[/b][/u]...", so how could your In/Out possibly change?! :P
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420389990' post='2648714']
Yeah! :D
[/quote]
[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1420391178' post='2648735']
Maybe the first purchase made in 2015 was a plutonium fuelled Delorian?
[/quote]
Could be one thing I haven't leaned is how to multiquote... :P
Anyhoo, seeing as I'm a third of the way through a Back to the Future box set fest given to my oldest for Christmas, I plead the influence of an anomaly in the space/time continuum. I'll let you know the results of impending changes in July 2013 :huh:

Edited by howdenspur

In:
a 2002 Fretless Warwick Standard,
a 2004 fretted Warwick Standard,
a MIM Fender Precision that simply has an outstanding neck,
and, a GK 700 RB amp to provide a wee bit of extra headroom when we're playing in the larger rooms.

Out: :-)

What I've learned:
That a fretless REALLY forces you to learn to listen carefully to what you're playing and, to listen more carefully to what is being played around you. A win/win! :-)

Edited by dadofsix

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1420405563' post='2649075']
Anyhoo, seeing as I'm a third of the way through a Back to the Future box set fest given to my oldest for Christmas, I plead the influence of an anomaly in the space/time continuum. I'll let you know the results of impending changes in July 2013 :huh:
[/quote]

It's your kids, howdenspur! Something's gotta be done about your kids!

In and Out :

Warwick Thumb NT 6

Out :

Warwick Corvette $$ 5 String
84 US Fender Jazz
2010 US Fender 50th Anniversary Jazz
Tune Fretless 5 String
Spector Legend Classic 6
Genz Benz ShuttleMax 12.2
2x Genz Benz NX212Ts

In :

Wal 6 String
Glockenklang Blue Soul
2x Purple Chili 112Ts
EA Wizzy 10

Learned:

I like Wals better than anything else and should have bought one in the first place instead of faffing around trying to find something that sounded similar for less money.

Edited by CamdenRob

In:

Trace Elliot/Status T-Bass
Clover Apeiron H.5
EBMM Stingray 5

Out:

Clover Apeiron H.5

What I've learned:

My technique/style isn't good enough for really fancy basses, I need something more [i]robust.[/i]
The T-Bass is amazing.
Why have I never had a Stingray before? It's lovely!

Edited by chaypup

Didn't buy any new basses in 2014. In fact the only musical stuff I got were some sets of strings and 2 Sony wireless systems.

Continued my clear out of 4-string basses:

British Custom Guitars Bass
Reverend Rumblefish
Pedulla Buzz
Hartke XL-4

What have I learned? If I haven't used it in the last 5 years I probably don't need it.

In:

J&D Vintage 1975 Jazz
Fender CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz
EBMM Sterling
Barefaced Big One*

Out:

Fender CIJ Marcus Miller Jazz
EBMM Sterling
Barefaced Compact*

*I know they're not basses, but still...

What have I learned?

That some basses, no matter how good they are and how much I like them, just don't work in some bands/situations.
Active preamps are too much of a faff for me to use live.
Jazz basses suit me and my current band.
Sometimes I buy/trade stuff just because I like buying/trading stuff - not because there is anything wrong with what I have or anything better about what I want.
I need to spend more time playing rather than browsing the for sale threads... :blush:

Out:
Crafter 5 string electro-acoustic.

In:
Hartley Benton PJ-5 Hot rod Deluxe.

I learnt that:
After nearly 20 years of saying I didn't like Precisions based on looks, feel or sound, P basses are in fact the perfect bass for me based on looks, feel and sound!
You can get a genuinely decent giggable bass for under £100 new.
I really like playing Sixers but not enough to stop me putting my Cort A6 up for sale on eBay to fund my GAS for a Squier VM P5.

[b]OUT[/b]
Yamaha TRB5Pii

[b]IN & OUT[/b]
Fender Roadworn Precision

[b]IN[/b]
Fender Roadworn Jazz
Squier JV '82 Precision

Also in: TH500 and TKS S112 with MarkBass making way. Plus too many pedals to mention.

What I've learnt:
1. Just like Painy, after 30 years of playing I finally get what Precisions are all about, although it helps that my JV has a super slim neck.
2. I spend as much time on this forum as I do playing which has to change this year.
3. All that matters for me kit-wise is what makes me want to play (but then I'm just getting back into it so band-mix isn't important right now).

Out:
SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB310
Fender Modern Player jazz bass

In:
A 15-yr-old USA fender jazz bass

What have I learned? That I'd rather have fewer, good guitars than a range of cheaper ones which I bought for the less salubrious / downright dangerous gigs. Sod's law those gigs usually turn out to be the real good kickass ones, where I end up wishing I brought my good gear.

And that after donkeys years of playing precisions Ive discovered jazz basses and love them too.

Roll on whatever 2015 brings!

Out : my trusty Yamaha BB1200 - sadly missed .
Trussart Steelcaster guitar

In : Stephen Eden flamenco guitar.

What have I learned ?
There's very little bass wise that can't be done with a good Precision .
Learning different styles / instruments brings real benefits to bass playing , I now pay far more attention to timing /rhythm / accents on notes .

Out:
USA Fender Precision
USA Fender Hotrod Precision
USA Fender Highway One Jazz
MIJ Fender PJ Precision
MIM Fender PJ Precision
MIK Fender PJ Precision
MIM Fender Mike Dirnt Precision
MIK Epiphone Zenith
MIK Parker Fly PB51
MIK Ibanez Artcore AFB2000
MIJ Aria SB1200
MIJ Ibanez Roadstar 2 RB850 (x2)
MIUK GUS G3 Passive
MIUK GUS G3 Retro Active
MIUK GUS G1 Piezo Vibrato (x2)
Cheap Double Bass
TC Electronics BG500-115

In:
MI Indonesia Cort Artisan A4
MI Canada Godin Acoustibass
TC Electronics BG250-115

What I've learnt is that expensive stuff doesn't make me a better player (but does break the bank), and at the end of the day, if it feels right and sounds good who cares what name it says on the headstock.

Edited by 6feet7

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1420448386' post='2649352']I like Wals better than anything else and should have bought one in the first place instead of faffing around trying to find something that sounded similar for less money.
[/quote]

First World problems, eh? :rolleyes: :lol: