Why become a member? ×

Using a music stand in a covers band

bonzodog

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1418071132' post='2626597']

If you put the lyrics on there too then everyone will be able to sing along.
[/quote]
And maybe some suggestions of what they should wear just in case they thought they were out to enjoy themselves rather than nit pik every aspect of the band!? Lol

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418072084' post='2626621']

And maybe some suggestions of what they should wear just in case they thought they were out to enjoy themselves rather than nit pik every aspect of the band!? Lol
[/quote]

Maybe also list some alternative gigs on the same night add the travel directions as an all round service to the punters.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1418071729' post='2626615']
Surely the ability to internalise music quickly and efficiently is a skill like any other, that requires practice to develope - aside from how people feel about using stands on stage, surely there is an argument that if you always rely on having a pad there as a crutch, that you never really put yourself in a situation where committing the music to memory is essential, and you actually defeat your own opportunity to develope that skillset as a result.

I was lucky some years ago to work with a pro musician from Ghana who had earned his living from the age of 12 gigging on a daily basis, and his ability to learn material extremely quickly amazed me - he nailed ~45 numbers for the function band I was playing in at the time in 3 days, no crib sheets, no charts and no mistakes. On talking to him about it, he told me that much of the time when he was learning his trade in Ghana he was often expected to learn material from the radio and play it the same day, no luxury of cassette tapes or record players, so as a matter of necessity he had developed the necessary skills to keep his gigs.
[/quote]
So he was allowed the luxury of a radio but a music stand is a crutch. That's nonsense.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1418072415' post='2626628']

Maybe also list some alternative gigs on the same night add the travel directions as an all round service to the punters.
[/quote]
How will the band know they have annoyed a bassist if they dont see them walk in and right out again then though, mind you if the band dont look up they wont have noticed, maybe we should email the venue and tell them to pass the message on to the band?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418067302' post='2626533']
Our main singer in my function band sits down for the whole gig.....
[/quote]

I wish I could sit down and play the bass during the gig. I much prefer it.

Or would that be un-professional and would people leave the pub?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418074335' post='2626686']
How will the band know they have annoyed a bassist if they dont see them walk in and right out again then though, mind you if the band dont look up they wont have noticed, maybe we should email the venue and tell them to pass the message on to the band?
[/quote]

You're doing it wrong. Hack their iPads and send them Ariana Grande charts, or pRon, or a nastygram.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418076338' post='2626726']

Well he is the drummer, lol. I doubt singing drummers are allowed anyway are they?
[/quote]

I played in a band where the drummer was the singer. Really good as the drummer never complained he couldn't hear the singer and the singer never complained they couldn't hear themselves because the drums were too loud.

Although he did use a music stand. :(

There are of course situations and performances where you want everything polished and fully rehearsed to show standard with no stands in sight, but there are plenty of situations where this cannot be, and there are plenty of examples of seasoned professionals doing in both situations.

What I don't get is people making blanket rules for others

I've done plenty of gigs with fantastic singers who use a stand (generally set quite low and just for the odd prompt) , along with aweful gigs with no stand in sight .

When I dep I use index cards with structure prompts of required , I clip them onto my Hercules stand, not sure a singer could get anyway with something that small