Why become a member? ×

Alleva coppolo

dudi8

On 02/12/2014 at 18:52, Happy Jack said:

Bwahahahahaha!!!

Well try one then!

They're just beautifully-made basses. The best designs made using the best components by the best craftsmen.

In no way are they "better" than any other top-end boutique manufacturer ... whether or not you happen to prefer Fodera or Sadowsky or whatever doesn't mean that one is better than another, it just means that you like it more.

The two Allevas that I've owned are two of the nicest basses I've ever had. The one I still have (a KBP5) would still be my go-to bass were it not for Mike Lull coming up with a bass that actually ticked two boxes for me with an even bigger tick.

I like them a lot. Not everybody does of course.

They haven’t designed anything as they are copies of Fender basses with an ugly headstock.

The electronics package is solid but there are many such solid pickup/preamp combos available on today’s market .. so why the hype?

6 minutes ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

They haven’t designed anything as they are copies of Fender basses with an ugly headstock.

The electronics package is solid but there are many such solid pickup/preamp combos available on today’s market .. so why the hype?

We have an old expression in England about opinions, Gianni, but you are of course welcome to yours, as I said six years ago!

Have you ever played an Alleva-Coppolo? I'm guessing not. Have you played a Fodera or an Alembic? I know nothing about you so perhaps you have, but if you had I suspect that you would not be so dismissive of high-end luthier-built basses.

:)

Edited by Happy Jack

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

We have an old expression in England about opinions, Gianni, but you are of course welcome to yours, as I said six years ago!

Have you ever played an Alleva-Coppolo? I'm guessing not. Have you played a Fodera or an Alembic? I know nothing about you so perhaps you have, but if you had I suspect that you would not be so dismissive of high-end luthier-built basses.

:)

To be fair to Gianni it's hard to argue with either of the following:

• They are copies of Fenders
  • The headstocks are ugly

(I can't comment on the quality - never played one)

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

Basses are worth what people will pay for them, which reflects multiple factors, just like any consumer good. Jimmy Coppolo has a great reputation as a luthier (even though there has been the odd QC issue, as Paulie noted - in fact I owned one of the basses he mentioned and should note it was a prototype). His basses have a certain cache and strong advocates, as do Ken Smith's, Foderas, Alembics and do on. I mean, is a used Wal really worth £5k? Different strokes for different folks. All of which is stating the obvious!

As Jack says, maybe try playing one? They are very nice instruments indeed. I don't own one any more but I would also (like Jack) love to have another play on the antigua KBP5 we each owned at one point (I sold it to pay for a double bass)

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Jimmy Coppolo has a great reputation as a luthier (even though there has been the odd QC issue...

I remember a pretty rabid, on line spat between a user and JC many , many years ago, over on TB, IIRC. It got quite ugly.

As @Clarky says, something is worth what folk will pay. Cars are a good parallel, plenty of those are super expensive and aren’t really that much different from your average box with a tyre at each corner. How much are you willing to pay for a badge and the extra attention to detail that that badge normally includes? Only the buyer knows.

18 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I remember a pretty rabid, on line spat between a user and JC many , many years ago, over on TB, IIRC. It got quite ugly.

Totally. Jimmy’s response was funny, all still there. NitroGlossGate here had same hallmarks - petty complaint, outraged mob, etc. 

Until we get some new content on Netflix expect the lockdown mania to continue 

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Drax said:

Totally. Jimmy’s response was funny, all still there. NitroGlossGate here had same hallmarks - petty complaint, outraged mob, etc. 

They were my thoughts exactly.

I played one when @three had one for a fleeting moment. He had a blue one - but it was a sunburst one he brought to me.

It felt very special - and sounded great. I seem to recall it was an earlier one with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard.

The only thing I could pick at was the scratchplate/pickguard was a bit rough - but again I think they were hand cut and finished at the time - and the playability/sound absolutely made up for it.

The headstock of AC basses I actually quite liked - and in person, it made sense.

I haven’t played or seen one since - but, much like the Celinder P with a bound/dot neck @three had - it would’ve been a very nice thing to own.

6 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I don’t think the AC issues were petty for a $5000 bass. IIRC it was a bit of a stinker, was it not..?

Apparently, but who really knows other than JC and the owner? It was the thread similarity to ‘nitro/fissure-gate’ that reminded me of it, not the actual faults. Probably best to move on before this thread blows up too.

24 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I don’t think the AC issues were petty for a $5000 bass. IIRC it was a bit of a stinker, was it not..?

Yeah quite possibly. Recall there was a big gap between the buyer and luthier’s view of what was wrong 

13 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

To be fair to Gianni it's hard to argue with either of the following:

• They are copies of Fenders
  • The headstocks are ugly

(I can't comment on the quality - never played one)

I have never seen one, but if they are copies of fenders, how can the headstock not be ugly?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Drax said:

Yeah quite possibly. Recall there was a big gap between the buyer and luthier’s view of what was wrong 

Like fissuregate, as time goes on, that gap gets increasingly bigger and both sides tend to lose their grasp on the original issue, and that only gets a whole lot worse once us internet lot get involved :(

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Drax said:

I’ve actually just found that thread on TB. Also from 2013...

I think the bit where the builder accused the customer of doctoring photos of flaws was a highlight.

For a TB thread it was quite lucid.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve actually just found that thread on TB. Also from 2013...

I think the bit where the builder accused the customer of doctoring photos of flaws was a highlight.

For a TB thread it was quite lucid.

Remember him accusing the buyer of not playing the bass with a pick ‘like a real man’ :) 

11 minutes ago, Drax said:

Remember him accusing the buyer of not playing the bass with a pick ‘like a real man’ :) 

Yeah, he didn’t do himself any favours.

Don’t his basses now have something about a 9/11 conspiracy theory on the back of the headstock now?

I don’t know. I really wanted one for a period of time. 

I’d buy a sadowsky or lull blind...but with an AC I’d want it in my hands first. There are a lot of small niggly stories regarding such a high end luthier.

Edit - yes there is a laser etched 9/11 reference on the basses now.

91E57DAF-57C4-4FF4-9E09-B1F835B4C7CD.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh yes, just found it. Any thread that starts with "You might wanna go grab a sandwich" has to be good! :)

Thanks!

Had the Fissuregate thread started that way it might still be going :)

Everyone has bad days. Thankfully I don't get mine rehashed every 10 years.

How can anyone criticise bass manufacturers for making their own versions of Precision and Jazz basses. That's all most bloody bass players want to buy! Even Fender can't make anything else without having to discontinue it after a couple of years because no one is interested enough to buy it.

Anyway, any bass that's good enough for Nate Watts and Paul Turner would be good enough for me.

• Like 1