Why become a member? ×

Alleva coppolo

dudi8

The green AC pictured above was a prototype that Willie Weeks used on tour with Eric Clapton. It was owned at various points by myself and BCer @paulie (and is the one mentioned several years ago in this thread where the hand-cut pickguard didn't quite cover the control cavity; that apart a very nice bass - I just didn't quite get on with J pickups in a P body).

Edited by Clarky

1 hour ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

No you’re wrong .. they don’t do the same job .. Ferrari can travel at 320km/h, a Ford Focus not .. these are tangible data, facts.

There’s, as minimum, a 100% speed gap between the two cars.

To say that there’s a 100% performance gap between a comparable Fender (CS) and an AC bass it may not be as easy to prove, that’s why I’m arguing.

This is a FSO (Fender Shaped Object - less FSO than an AC however) which I’d eagerly pay the asked price for (and I’ll surely do in future) as it comes with a really deluxe finish, selectable exotic woods, master-level body-neck joint, proprietary and brilliantly designed bridge and a lightweight as only a feather can be:

image.thumb.jpeg.6ed3c8f3393beb799286390b39594dfa.jpeg

Other example:

image.thumb.jpeg.e7297bab453717a0a403cf41b66e866e.jpeg

Oh My Gawd ... 

Sorry no competition here albeit to each one his/her own ! ✌️

Both FSO’s. Fodera Shaped Objects.

1 hour ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

This is a FSO (Fender Shaped Object - less FSO than an AC however) which I’d eagerly pay the asked price for (and I’ll surely do in future) as it comes with a really deluxe finish, selectable exotic woods, master-level body-neck joint, proprietary and brilliantly designed bridge and a lightweight as only a feather can be:

image.thumb.jpeg.6ed3c8f3393beb799286390b39594dfa.jpeg

Sorry no competition here albeit to each one his/her own ! ✌️

Indeed - each to their own, although it is hard to understand why you are critical of another manufacturers headstock with that as an example!

To me, from an appearance point (and I have no idea what those are or how much they cost), the proportions are all wrong, it looks bulbous and the controls look like an afterthought. It looks kind of like if you made a fender of cheese and heated it a bit :D  And I am not even going to start on the square of unfinished wood under the neck or the fact they couldn't be bothered to colour match the two halves.

Obviously I have no idea what it sounds like (as I have no idea what it is). 

But clearly to you, it looks ok. 

• Like 1

I think the lockdown has led to a lack of traffic on basschat - we’re falling down the Google listings - so Ped is ordering nitro finished basses and starting fights about boutique American luthiers that’s only a handful of us have played...  to get more traffic.... you wait, I predict Paul McCartney related thread next.

thats my conspiracy theory, feel free to brand it on the back of your headstock!

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Indeed - each to their own, although it is hard to understand why you are critical of another manufacturers headstock with that as an example!

To me, from an appearance point (and I have no idea what those are or how much they cost), the proportions are all wrong, it looks bulbous and the controls look like an afterthought. It looks kind of like if you made a fender of cheese and heated it a bit :D  And I am not even going to start on the square of unfinished wood under the neck or the fact they couldn't be bothered to colour match the two halves.

Obviously I have no idea what it sounds like (as I have no idea what it is). 

But clearly to you, it looks ok. 

Ah bad for you if you don’t know what it is as it is a very fine example of fully independent design and craftsmanship, Elrick Icon made in Chicago by hand (non CNC although the body shape and neck joints are quite complex) by John Elrick.

That is a boutique bass; it’s basically a FSO as well in terms of tone although not patently copied from a Fender Precision such as the green AC in one of the latest post ..

Edited by Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

You sound like you're spoiling for a fight. If so, you may be better off on Talkbass. 

Ah, but there's a rarely invoked BC directive that at least one contentious yet ultimately pointless thread about bass guitars must be live at any one point in time. It must also be lead by a sufficiently persistent (i.e., 24/7) OP to ensure that eventually the vast majority of members, irrespective of their current professional, family or musical priorities - and even their current sanity - are either drawn in and post in the thread itself, or at least read and reread the thread in question, often in complete disbelief, in an attempt to understand why it is constantly at the top of the 'new content' list. You'll notice than when the thread is closed, as it always is, the OP often disappears, only to resurface under a new username a few months later to debate another pointless issue; in this content there's a rolling cast list of six such protagonists as far as I'm aware, just to keep the threads going, they need recovery between each as the result of the sheer effort required to antagonise so many members.

Gianni has however made the critical error of returning to the scene of his earlier crime, he will disappear for good this time :) 

Edited by Beedster
  • Haha 2

Just now, Beedster said:

Ah, but there's a rarely invoked BC directive that at least one contentious yet ultimately pointless thread about bass guitars must be live at any one point in time. It must also be lead by a sufficiently persistent (i.e., 24/7) OP to ensure that eventually the vast majority of members, irrespective of their current professional, family or musical priorities - and even their current sanity - are either drawn in and post in the thread itself, or at least read and reread the thread in question, often in complete disbelief, in an attempt to understand why it is constantly at the top of the 'new content' list. You'll notice than when the thread is closed, as it always is, the OP often disappears, only to resurface under a new username a few months later to debate another pointless issue; in this content there's a rolling cast list of six such protagonists as far as I'm aware, just to keep the threads going, they need recovery between each as the result of the sheer effort required to antagonise so many members. 

Well Beedster, you seem interested overall ins’t it?

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Ah, but there's a rarely invoked BC directive that at least one contentious yet ultimately pointless thread about bass guitars must be live at any one point in time. It must also be lead by a sufficiently persistent (i.e., 24/7) OP to ensure that eventually the vast majority of members, irrespective of their current professional, family or musical priorities - and even their current sanity - are either drawn in and post in the thread itself, or at least read and reread the thread in question, often in complete disbelief, in an attempt to understand why it is constantly at the top of the 'new content' list. You'll notice than when the thread is closed, as it always is, the OP often disappears, only to resurface under a new username a few months later to debate another pointless issue; there's a rolling cast list of six such protagonists as far as I'm aware, just to keep the threads going (they need recovery between each as the result of the sheer effort required to antagonise so many members).

Gianni has however made the critical error of returning to the scene of his earlier crime, he will disappear for good this time :) 

I appear to have reposted my own post?

Edited by Beedster

2 minutes ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

Well Beedster, you seem interested overall ins’t it?

Not really, frankly its the biggest waste of time thread we've had on here for a while (and there's some pretty stiff opposition recently), quite why you're bothering is beyond me. As you objected to my lockdown fever comment, I'll put it down to post-lockdown fever, which is proving itself far more problematic :)

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Be careful not to confuse ‘interest’ with ‘mild curiosity over what nonsense will appear here next’.

Very nicely put, I have to say I feel like I'm slowing down to look at a car crash on the other carriageway :)

• Haha 1

[Mod's Hat On]

It rather looks as if this topic is about to tumble into pointless and point-scoring sarcasms; my feeling is that it would be best locked, starting with a week or so. If it's re-opened (it's not BC policy to lock topics, generally...) it'll be watched, and further dumb posting will bring about the inevitable permanent lock. Please get back to whatever purposeful occupation you were involved in; there'll be an interlude here.

[/Mod's Hat On]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My humble opinion is NOT to reopen this thread, and to remind trolls, would-be trolls and those who like an argument no matter how badly they contradict themselves that they may well be breaking the forum rules and hurtling headlong towards a warning.

Just sayin', Gianni.

• Like 3