Why become a member? ×

Alleva coppolo

dudi8

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Edit - yes there is a laser etched 9/11 reference on the basses now.

91E57DAF-57C4-4FF4-9E09-B1F835B4C7CD.jpeg

ok, whats that about?  I presume the 6 and 7 wtc are some kind of conspiracy job, but what is the 14th amendment thing? Is that another conspiracy that I am not up on? as it covers citizenship I am guessing that is the nonresident thing.

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

ok, whats that about?  I presume the 6 and 7 wtc are some kind of conspiracy job, but what is the 14th amendment thing? Is that another conspiracy that I am not up on? as it covers citizenship I am guessing that is the nonresident thing.

I don’t know, think a tin foil hat comes in the case too...

I haven’t played an AC as to do this you basically have to order one and pay it in full unless you aren’t able to pay a visit to Mr. Coppolo in the US (for a bass? If, by chance, I had to go to the US for business ok, otherwise ... nahhh) or be friend with somebody who owns one.

So buying an AC, in my situation, would likely be a matter of faith; my faith only goes to my beloved wife, the rest is relative so much so as I was just recently reading of Addison, the famous TB user who had an argument with Mr. Coppolo, and finally got his money back; the answer of this high-calibre luthier to Addison was awful, for not to use other words.

I have maximum respect for manufacturers such as Ken Smith, Fodera, Roscoe, Pedulla (sigh!), F-Bass, MTD and my favourite, Elrick.

They really design and make high-end stuff which is priced accordingly.

AC no; AC makes FSO = Fender Shaped Objects, which normally use woods which are similar to those used by Fender and the same goes for the finishing options.

However, AC’s FSO do cost 5000 if not more USD; ok, the proprietary electronics and pickups are very nice, fine, the factory setup is excellent but to fill the 3000 USD gap between a MIA Fender and an AC bass the extra features of the AC units seem just too few to me.

I personally prefer going passive and buy a Custom Shop Fender also because I don’t like the AC headstock, but this is just me.

16 minutes ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

I haven’t played an AC as to do this you basically have to order one and pay it in full unless you aren’t able to pay a visit to Mr. Coppolo in the US (for a bass? If, by chance, I had to go to the US for business ok, otherwise ... nahhh) or be friend with somebody who owns one.

Indeed. So your opinion on it is largely conjecture, same as mine would be.

16 minutes ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

I personally prefer going passive and buy a Custom Shop Fender also because I don’t like the AC headstock, but this is just me.

Indeed, to me it seems crazy to spend that sort of money on a fender, but we all like different things. And I have actually played one of those.

Sorry, you believe that spending 3800$ on a Custom Shop Fender is foolish? Uh .. this is weird .. it’s like saying that the guys who invented the stuff that AC is somehow copying are no longer able to do something decent; frankly speaking, I believe your statement is quite exaggerated.

Moreover, I’m not saying that AC instruments are bad; what I’m saying is:

1. They do not seem to me an original design at all.

2. They are overpriced for what they are able to yield.

These are my opinions, of course, but analysing just the facts without any other scope in mind (typical of fanboy-ism), may surely help to understand why I am of this opinion.

Having said that, everyone is free to invest his/her money in the way they prefer.

My main custom shop was a beauty. I have played lots - all were nice, but they were variable.

I’d not waste time arguing who’s right or wrong about wether an AC is worth more or less than a Fender custom shop in terms of outlay vs reward etc.

If I walk into, I dunno - Bass Direct with £5000 (yeah right, £500 would be a push...) - and I walk out with a sadowsky, my rough guess would be that @walshy would walk out with a Lakland, @bassfan would pick a status and @lee650 would buy a Spector - I know @three would buy another Alembic and spend about £6000 on maintaining it and refurbishing it 😂😂😂

We’re all different - I personally find ACG’s visually repugnant, but I know @Merton has about 7 of them and 5 on order.

If you don’t like AC for looks or reputation...that’s fine.

I’ve played a lot of basses and I completely get why each one would find a home - I certainly wouldn’t be bashing people over the head for not liking any of mine.

My sadowsky is a p clone with an ugly (eagle beak) headstock - but it’s feels and sounds ace.

Not worth the worry nor the complaint. 

Bigger fish to fry - like ‘is my wine chilled yet?’ And so on.

5 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

My main custom shop was a beauty. I have played lots - all were nice, but they were variable.

I’d not waste time arguing who’s right or wrong about wether an AC is worth more or less than a Fender custom shop in terms of outlay vs reward etc.

If I walk into, I dunno - Bass Direct with £5000 (yeah right, £500 would be a push...) - and I walk out with a sadowsky, my rough guess would be that @walshy would walk out with a Lakland, @bassfan would pick a status and @lee650 would buy a Spector - I know @three would buy another Alembic and spend about £6000 on maintaining it and refurbishing it 😂😂😂

We’re all different - I personally find ACG’s visually repugnant, but I know @Merton has about 7 of them and 5 on order.

I’ve played a lot of basses and I completely get why each one would find a home - I certainly wouldn’t be bashing people over the head for not liking any of mine.

My sadowsky is a p clone with an ugly (eagle beak) headstock - but it’s feels and sounds ace.

I'd probably come away with that Lull PJ.

13 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I might do if it’s got lights. 😂 

29 minutes ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

They are not. They are based on Fenders, like Lulls, Limelights and countless other Fender copies. Noone denies that

29 minutes ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

This comment is based on pure guesswork as you not have played one. The fact that players of the skills of Willie Weeks, Nate Watts and Paul Turner play AC's and that he continues to successfully sell his basses after many years probably tells you that they are quality instruments and not overpriced to the people that choose to play them in preference to other bass manufacturers' instruments.

Edited by Clarky

14 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

🤣

Only one in order, though if I could it would be 5 at least 😁 You might be more partial to the new one though, it’s a bit of a departure for Alan in some respects :) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

Sorry, you believe that spending 3800$ on a Custom Shop Fender is foolish? Uh .. this is weird .. it’s like saying that the guys who invented the stuff that AC is somehow copying are no longer able to do something decent; frankly speaking, I believe your statement is quite exaggerated.

The guy who invented the stuff that AC is somehow copying left the company 50 years ago, leaving that company to carry on copying it, while he went to MusicMan and then G&L. 

Yes, I think paying $3800 on a fender is completely crazy, however, if someone has that money and wants to, that is entirely down to them, just the same as if there is something they see in these AC instruments. And I am not talking from knowledge here, I haven't played an AC bass. I have played a fender custom shop.

Moreover, I’m not saying that AC instruments are bad; what I’m saying is:

Granted they don't seem original, although neither do the fenders. But that is because that appears to be what a lot of bass players (and guitarists) want. 

As to what they are able to yeild, as you also said you hadn't played that, you have no more idea than I do of telling if that is true or not. 

It seems that people are paying for these instruments with their own money, so I am guessing that it is capable of providing what they want.

These are my opinions, of course, but analysing just the facts without any other scope in mind (typical of fanboy-ism), may surely help to understand why I am of this opinion.

But you have already got a scope of mind of a fanboy-ism, in that you believe that paying for a fender custom shop is worth $3600, yet unable to accept that something you have no experience of made by someone else can't be better because it looks the same - ie, is unoriginal, when lets face it, the custom shop fender looks the same as the $200 squier.

1 minute ago, Merton said:

🤣

Only one in order, though if I could it would be 5 at least 😁 You might be more partial to the new one though, it’s a bit of a departure for Alan in some respects :) 

You make them all sound alright though.

☺️

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

According to me Sadowsky’s interpretation of Fender’s headstock looks much sleeker and pleasant than that of AC or (OMG) Moollon (this is really the ugliest IMO - almost unwatchable), but this is just a personal opinion on aesthetics.

However, I believe you fail to understand that, in my case, it’s not a matter of liking or not liking something.

It’s a matter of how much one has to spend to like that something; I can buy an apple I like for 0.5€ and one that maybe I like just a little more for 2.5€ .. mh, on the long run I’ll buy the first type.

It’s just a matter of cost versus inherent  benefits; I don’t think spending 5000$ in an AC bass is a good investment, that’s all.

Sadowsky is a much better and effective one IMO; however, as I’ve already stated, if one wants to buy an AC it is his/her call.

I know that people driving expensive cars don’t want anybody even attempting at criticizing some features of what they’ve spent their money in but, in the end, an AC bass is a deluxe FSO.

Peace and love ✌️

2 minutes ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

According to me Sadowsky’s interpretation of Fender’s headstock looks much sleeker and pleasant than that of AC or (OMG) Moollon (this is really the ugliest IMO - almost unwatchable), but this is just a personal opinion on aesthetics.

However, I believe you fail to understand that, in my case, it’s not a matter of liking or not liking something.

It’s a matter of how much one has to spend to like that something; I can buy an apple I like for 0.5€ and one that maybe I like just a little more for 2.5€ .. mh, on the long run I’ll buy the first type.

It’s just a matter of cost versus inherent  benefits; I don’t think spending 5000$ in an AC bass is a good investment, that’s all.

Sadowsky is a much better and effective one IMO; however, as I’ve already stated, if one wants to buy an AC it is his/her call.

I know that people driving expensive cars don’t want anybody even attempting at criticizing some features of what they’ve spent their money in but, in the end, an AC bass is a deluxe FSO.

Peace and love ✌️

I know penniless violinists who own £10,000 plus instruments. I know one violinist who has a long term loan from an investment company...don’t really know the ins and outs.

I’m not wealthy by any stretch, but I’ve got some nice basses. 

I work, and I put away and buy what I want when I can.

I want to try a Tom Stenback Bass - they’re about £6000, and it’d take a windfall or lottery win to get one. They’re Fender “copies” - really fancy one though.

Each to their own. 

Life is way too short - I’m enjoying my £6.99 bottle of wine. I know some folks won’t spend less than £10 on a bottle and I’ve got mates who drink lambrini. 

End result is the same. And nobody in my band’s audience gives 2 plops wether I’m playing a Sadowsky (which in reality looks like a Squier p/j) or a banjo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The guy who invented the stuff that AC is somehow copying left the company 50 years ago, leaving that company to carry on copying it, while he went to MusicMan and then G&L. 

Yes, I think paying $3800 on a fender is completely crazy, however, if someone has that money and wants to, that is entirely down to them, just the same as if there is something they see in these AC instruments. And I am not talking from knowledge here, I haven't played an AC bass. I have played a fender custom shop.

Granted they don't seem original, although neither do the fenders. But that is because that appears to be what a lot of bass players (and guitarists) want. 

As to what they are able to yeild, as you also said you hadn't played that, you have no more idea than I do of telling if that is true or not. 

It seems that people are paying for these instruments with their own money, so I am guessing that it is capable of providing what they want.

But you have already got a scope of mind of a fanboy-ism, in that you believe that paying for a fender custom shop is worth $3600, yet unable to accept that something you have no experience of made by someone else can't be better because it looks the same - ie, is unoriginal, when lets face it, the custom shop fender looks the same as the $200 squier.

I know what a good P-bass tone is and this is what matters to me.
You were quoting names of bassists whom I don’t know well; I almost only listen to ‘60s/‘70s music and my personal goal would be that of sounding similar to that Mr. Paul Jackson when he was playing a P-bass.

If a Fender CS can provide it to me at, say, 3800$, it’s very good (for those who have 3800$ to spend in a bass of course).

If AC can provide the same service at 5000$, it’s not that good.

Try to ask on the forum what’s the general consensus about how well, for instance, the Pino Palladino model incarnates and represent the sound of a P-bass.

I’m almost sure that the vast majority of users, even those who don’t own one but have listened to various samples of it, will say that this particular bass generates a stupendous and almost archetypal P-bass tone.

Im not so sure about what the result of a similar poll would be if the users were to express their judgement in relation to AC’s interpretation of the P-bass concept (ok, a new Pino Palladino model costs more than 4000$ and we get close to AC’s territory but there’s the deal with Pino to be honoured in this case and, in any case, they sometimes can be found in the second hand market at more decent prices).

Do you see any fan-boyism in what I’m saying? I’m just plainly stating what I believe are facts.

3 minutes ago, Clarky said:

There are 43,604 members of BassChat.

I look forward to the next 43,603 threads starting with "Just my opinion ... but I don't understand why anyone would buy [xyz manufacturer's] basses?"

Actually I don't. I would rather stick needles in my eyes

8 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I know penniless violinists who own £10,000 plus instruments. I know one violinist who has a long term loan from an investment company...don’t really know the ins and outs.

I’m not wealthy by any stretch, but I’ve got some nice basses. 

I work, and I put away and buy what I want when I can.

I want to try a Tom Stenback Bass - they’re about £6000, and it’d take a windfall or lottery win to get one. They’re Fender “copies” - really fancy one though.

Each to their own. 

Life is way too short - I’m enjoying my £6.99 bottle of wine. I know some folks won’t spend less than £10 on a bottle and I’ve got mates who drink lambrini. 

End result is the same. And nobody in my band’s audience gives 2 plops wether I’m playing a Sadowsky (which in reality looks like a Squier p/j) or a banjo.

Yes, Stenback J-basses .. even in this case the reason behind their price should be sourced in their playability since the sound is the typical J-bass sound, not very different from that of my one, I guess ..