Why become a member? ×

Fender Custom Shop

Paultrader

Hello Everyone,

Has anybody had anything built by Fender Custom Shop, as opposed to buying a CS made guitar? I have a big birthday next year and I'm toying a little with the idea of getting a bass made for me. I'm in the early stages of this thought at the moment, so I wondered if anyone has any comments on it.

I know with reasonable certainty what I want, which is an unlined fretless Precision as they might have been when first produced in 1970 (with a few subtle variations). I suppose another option would be to try to get a genuine one, but they rarely seem to become available. I've always been a Fender player so it could be a dream come true, or a huge disappointment - I can't know which until it's happened I suppose.

After import duty, VAT and all that stuff, does anyone know roughly how much a guitar like that would set me back? It would be a big financial commitment for me, so I need to be sure about it.

Also, what do you reckon of the argument (for my significant other), that it represents an investment over time?!

Cheers

Paul

Another option is to contact Andy Baxter www.andybaxterbass.com and ask him to find you an original 70's example. He's super-hooked up with guitar traders globally and he could probably find what you're after (year, finish, condition, etc..)
I think you might be surprised how much less this option will cost compared to a special order Custom shop build.
Better investment longterm too I imagine.

Edit: I have no affiliation with him at all. I just drool at his website every once in a while!
I personally would love a Y.O.B. '72 fretless P myself.

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1416951744' post='2615517']
Another option is to contact Andy Baxter www.andybaxterbass.com and ask him to find you an original 70's example. He's super-hooked up with guitar traders globally and he could probably find what you're after (year, finish, condition, etc..)
I think you might be surprised how much less this option will cost compared to a special order Custom shop build.

Edit: I have no affiliation with him at all. I just drool at his website every once in a while!
[/quote]

Spot on, and a wanted ad on Basschat ain't a bad idea either

Though I've never seen or handled one there are several Basschat members who own and sing the praises of Limelight built to order Fender-alike basses. I believe these are usually reliced to look and feel like old instruments and have the exact specification of the real thing. In addition I seem to remember that Limelight also sell old original basses. A Limelight would be a lot cheaper than a Fender CS.

Hi Paul,

My only point to raise with you is that you would be ordering and buying the bass blind. The CS can be great but they also have their not so good days like everyone else so bear that in mind.

As for pricing Doug at Coda Music is definitely a good man to get a quote from as others have mentioned. His price will be the total of what you pay to get it in your hands. They sell a massive amount of CS stuff and also special order loads of instruments all the time so you are in good hands.
The 2 tiers are the Team Built and Master Built and depending on how your spec list goes determines which tier you have to go with. Obviously Master Built is a lot more but you can get exactly what you want.
Also time factors will come into effect so it may be a case of ordering now or in the new year to get it in time.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Cheers,
Jon

[quote name='Paultrader' timestamp='1416927276' post='2615116']
Hello Everyone,

Has anybody had anything built by Fender Custom Shop, as opposed to buying a CS made guitar? I have a big birthday next year and I'm toying a little with the idea of getting a bass made for me. I'm in the early stages of this thought at the moment, so I wondered if anyone has any comments on it.

I know with reasonable certainty what I want, which is an unlined fretless Precision as they might have been when first produced in 1970 (with a few subtle variations). I suppose another option would be to try to get a genuine one, but they rarely seem to become available. I've always been a Fender player so it could be a dream come true, or a huge disappointment - I can't know which until it's happened I suppose.

After import duty, VAT and all that stuff, does anyone know roughly how much a guitar like that would set me back? It would be a big financial commitment for me, so I need to be sure about it.

Also, what do you reckon of the argument (for my significant other), that it represents an investment over time?!

Cheers

Paul
[/quote]

As a CS dealer we get quite a lot of queries for specific era builds and very often the only way to get exactly what you're after is to go Masterbuilt.

This is a serious 'big money' option and for something as 'new' as '70 P you'd almost certainly get an original for less money.

The problem will be actually finding one that's really nice and doesn't have any issues with either the neck or weight.

A Masterbuilt really ought to be at the top of CS in terms of quality control but wait times are long and prices are high :(

All IMO.

Get this bass if you really want it and if you have this amount of spare cash, but please, this is not a plan for an investment.

Potential buyers will just see a Fender Precision at a price very few will think is good value. So the investment potential will be minimal.

It's an expensive vanity project and if you are trying to find reasons to justify buying this bass then you should walk away. It's not a good idea, even for a "significant" birthday.

A good investment would be an original vintage bass.

Buy a good Fender Precision and get a luthier to convert it to fretless for 1/3 rd of the cost. Spend the rest on the wife. Win win.

Limelight all day long. I understand it's not the genuine article but I believe you would be very hard pushed to find an original for anything like the money it would cost.
As for a CS version being an investment, they don't appear to increase in value following the slump after buying new. Then you have a custom instrument which already narrows your future resale potential.

Lastly a £4K instrument can be a real headache to own and really use. It's just too stressful trying to keep it mint, which I guess would be happening in terms of protecting your investment.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1416951744' post='2615517']

[/quote]
[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1416957691' post='2615589']
Spot on, and a wanted ad on Basschat ain't a bad idea either
[/quote]

Have to agree with these guys - sound advice if you ask me!

I would definitely recommend a Fender Custom Shop. I ordered a 1961 Jazz bass for my 30th birthday and it's one fantastic bass in both playability, construction and sound. If you want a custom Fender get one from the custom shop and not a cheaper copy basically.

Fender Masterbuilt is also a great idea. A bit more costly but well worth it in my opinion.

I suggest forget Fender and get a G&L made in the original Fender plant in CA. I just got one made to my own spec for £795 thru Andy Collin of Black Cat Strats in St Albans. Quality is just as good as a CS Fender for fraction of the price and Leo Fender himself designed them and said they were the best guitars he ever made! Lots of cool models to choose from, incl J, P and MM types and other interesting unique models that are totally G&L. Their Asat Bass is über cool and capable of extraordinary range of tones in active or passive mode.