Why become a member? ×

Organize a band

Kevin Dean

A lot of bass players I know also organize their band , I do the PA , Van & book gigs . I work more hours than anyone else in my band , The keyboard player doesn't even work & he's blown two of my PA subs , turns up late for sound check , refuses to get gigs , & even refused to pick the singer up from the Ferry ...he's going ...but still feel bad about it ..flip knows why? I've told the other 2 members they need to pull their weight ...& I bet nothing happens ;) But I get moaned at if I say I'm thinking of working with another band ?

Call me prejudiced, but I won't work in a band with keyboard players. I'm sure there are some very good professional keyboard players out there who are great guys and gals, but in short - I've never once met any of them. Obviously I've been unlucky. Don't feel bad about it! :)

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1416220138' post='2607947']
... But I get moaned at if I say I'm thinking of working with another band ?
[/quote]
Of course they'll moan at you if you mention moving on - you're their free ride / meal ticket / whatever!

I organise a band, but I run it as a benevolent dictatorship, where I am the sole trader and the other guys are effectively subcontractors. They are absolutely fine with this - they know how much we all get, and they also know I will never be into them to pay for things like demo CDs or rehearsals. The upside for me is control (bwahahaha!); the downside for me is all the grief that goes with it, but at least I am paying myself a bit extra for that.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1416222331' post='2607969']
Call me prejudiced, but I won't work in a band with keyboard players. I'm sure there are some very good professional keyboard players out there who are great guys and gals, but in short - I've never once met any of them. Obviously I've been unlucky. Don't feel bad about it! :)

Couldn't agree more. I have a sharp disdain for keyboard players. Never seem to get on with them. Plus they constantly fill up every single microsecond of sonic space with noise!
[/quote]

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1416223357' post='2607980']
I organise a band, but I run it as a benevolent dictatorship, where I am the sole trader and the other guys are effectively subcontractors. They are absolutely fine with this - they know how much we all get, and they also know I will never be into them to pay for things like demo CDs or rehearsals. The upside for me is control (bwahahaha!); the downside for me is all the grief that goes with it, but at least I am paying myself a bit extra for that.
[/quote]

Actually that sounds like a reasonable price to pay for total control! Hmm...

[/quote]

I've found brass and vocals to be the most annoying. Often turn up with minutes to spare and ask where to plug in.

We did try to fix this by giving them earlier sart times but then they turn up early and just get in the way of setting up.

People are all different. Mostly because they've never had to organise a band and don't understand what's involved in the background.

The key is to work out what people's strengths are and work with them rather than trying to fix weaknesses.

sometimes people don't pull their weight because they're incapable of showing any initiative, asking them politely to do something specific usually works, as in the case of our singer helping with the setting up of the PA, your keyboard player sounds like he's beyond that, you're right to dump him, the rest might fall into line than, with a bit of guidance.

Edited by PaulWarning

I also organise my lot
The drummer helps with logistics and planning etc,and is always there for load outs and ins,unlike the singer and guitarist but I;
Supply and drive the van,
Provide,assemble and operate the P.A, which consists of a Soundcraft SI 1 or 3, into a Bill Fitzmaurice DR250/Titan39 rig with qsc amps,and 4 stereo in ear systems, all mics, D.Is, cables and stands.( and (that's every rehearsal when it needs putting back together after a gig, and every gig after packing it away after a rehearsal,and that's if nothing needs fixing or replacing).
Supply, rig, and program the lights with my truss,par cans, scanners, smoke machine and small DMX desk.
Create and operate the backing tracks we use, using my Macbook/logic and iPad,in my studio.
Record and produce any promotional recordings we need.
Manage the band kitty and pay the bills on the rehearsal room, clean and organise the rehearsal room,
Manage the sub letting of the room to offset our outgoings and do DIY improvements like shelving curtains chairs, kitchen items , fridge and a microwave.
Pay for the web hosting for the website, manage the facebook and Northwestbands accounts. Run the online diary.
Oh yes, I play bass and sing as well.
And work as a freelance engineer.

My lot are lucky, as I operate a small hire company and they get the benefit because for me, it has to look and sound as good as possible, but I also keep telling them that turning up on time and playing their chosen instrument is the minimum they are expected to do, if they want to be part of a reasonably well run and profitable band.
So to the OP. don't tolerate laziness from your partners, otherwise you will end up carrying all the responsibilities,make no money and eventually end up destroying the band out of resentment.

Edited by Monckyman

In most of my previous bands, I did most of the organising.
The acoustica band had an excellent singer who did a lot of the work & the last band was an electronica band, where the keys player did all the work.
The bands that have been hard work have been the ones with guitarists in them. They tend to be decent chaps, but don't like to write their own guitar parts, don't organise rehearsals or gigs & like to play louder than the drummer can possibly hit or noodle when the vocalist is trying to sing.
Kinda makes me happy I only play at home now, though I do miss gigging.

[/quote]
Reminds me of an advert we placed once :

"Keyboard player required. Must not be able to play keyboard."

:D

[quote name='Tuco' timestamp='1416245319' post='2608264']
Reminds me of an advert we placed once : "Keyboard player required. Must not be able to play keyboard."
[/quote]

That's actually a great idea. There's more chance of them doing something original and constructive within a band situation. Most keyboard players want to dominate every damn song and as far as they're concerned, the band are there to support them, much like a concert painist. Wronggg!!!!

And the worst thing is, they insist on encroaching on the bass player's frequency territory with their busy, crappy and ill-considered left-hand work!! Then they swan about the place like divas, act up, whinge and moan and generally make me want to punch them! Grr!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1416247519' post='2608306']
That's actually a great idea. There's more chance of them doing something original and constructive within a band situation. Most keyboard players want to dominate every damn song and as far as they're concerned, the band are there to support them, much like a concert painist. Wronggg!!!!

And the worst thing is, they insist on encroaching on the bass player's frequency territory with their busy, crappy and ill-considered left-hand work!! Then they swan about the place like divas, act up, whinge and moan and generally make me want to punch them! Grr!
[/quote]
So perhaps the ad should read 'keyboard player with only a right hand need apply'
never fancied being in a band with a keyboard player, less so after reading this thread

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1416235523' post='2608138']
I also organise my lot
The drummer helps with logistics and planning etc,and is always there for load outs and ins,unlike the singer and guitarist but I;
Supply and drive the van,
Provide,assemble and operate the P.A, which consists of a Soundcraft SI 1 or 3, into a Bill Fitzmaurice DR250/Titan39 rig with qsc amps,and 4 stereo in ear systems, all mics, D.Is, cables and stands.( and (that's every rehearsal when it needs putting back together after a gig, and every gig after packing it away after a rehearsal,and that's if nothing needs fixing or replacing).
Supply, rig, and program the lights with my truss,par cans, scanners, smoke machine and small DMX desk.
Create and operate the backing tracks we use, using my Macbook/logic and iPad,in my studio.
Record and produce any promotional recordings we need.
Manage the band kitty and pay the bills on the rehearsal room, clean and organise the rehearsal room,
Manage the sub letting of the room to offset our outgoings and do DIY improvements like shelving curtains chairs, kitchen items , fridge and a microwave.
Pay for the web hosting for the website, manage the facebook and Northwestbands accounts. Run the online diary.
Oh yes, I play bass and sing as well.
And work as a freelance engineer.

My lot are lucky, as I operate a small hire company and they get the benefit because for me, it has to look and sound as good as possible, but I also keep telling them that turning up on time and playing their chosen instrument is the minimum they are expected to do, if they want to be part of a reasonably well run and profitable band.
So to the OP. don't tolerate laziness from your partners, otherwise you will end up carrying all the responsibilities,make no money and eventually end up destroying the band out of resentment.
[/quote]

Top, top man, and hats off to you.
With that kind of commitment and Organanisation you must be a very busy band.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1416250520' post='2608340']
It's always good when you find a keys player who can play in the pocket.
I'm not fussy what with though, his car keys or loose change, just as long as he keeps his left hand in his pocket. :D
[/quote]

A rare animal. I prefer it when they play with themselves.
Oh wait, is that what you meant? :D

Edited by discreet

I`ve done the organising bit, am now in a band where all that is really asked of me is play bass, shout backing vocs, and print set-lists/flyers. When we`re in the studio that`s where I really come in, as mixing/eq`s, most of what goes on there I take the lead on what is wanted - I just then get the producer to do it as I wouldn`t have a clue.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1416223357' post='2607980']

Of course they'll moan at you if you mention moving on - you're their free ride / meal ticket / whatever!

[/quote]

Snap!

I've done plenty of organising over the last couple of bands I've played in. "Originals" bands have slightly different requirements to some of the above but lots the same.

I don't mind putting in a bit more work than others for a bit more control/input.

I'm pretty lucky for the most part.
I do the PA,
R.Git does the bookings,
L.Git does set-list & song arrangements.
and the Keyboard player is also the singer.
She turns up last, leaves first, asks where to plug in etc. and not only plays the left hand right down at the lowest octave (MY notes!!!), she also usually plays the wrong notes with predictable sonic consequences. So every gig I go up to her amp and switch on the HPF and roll off all the bass... and all is well. :)

Edit: forgot about the drummer. He hits things.

Edited by brensabre79