Why become a member? ×

Mexican vs American Jazz

mickcope

And in the video I saw the MIM sounded by far the worst. However, they are supposed to have much better pickups these days and that could've been an older one. Really the best way is to try and get to a shop and play both!

EDIT: Actually it was the Precision video where the MIM sounded appalling. In that Jazz comparison, the first USA bass was really bright sounding, then the MIM, MIJ and maple MIA all sounded pretty similar.

Edited by dannybuoy

Generally speaking neck profiles are a bit different, USA will have a 3 piece body compared to a 5-6 piece body on the MIM. Pickups are considerably different, I don't know what they are now but MIM's used to have ceramic bar magnets glued to the bottom of the polepieces.
Finish is the other big area of difference, with Mexican ones having a thick polyester finish on the body, while American ones have a thinner polyurethane finish
Hardware is nicer on the American one too.
The Mexican ones are IMO great workhorse instruments after a pickup upgrade and can be bought pretty cheaply second hand.
New prices on the American standards are a bit silly, I feel you'd do much better with with an used American deluxe or an American vintage reissue depending on what you want.

I didn't like the deluxe when shopping last week and bought a standard instead, the active just didnt do it for me and I am an active guy to the core!

I think to a large extent its the old try before you buy anything Fender over where it is made a good mex will be better than a bad US, I think buying a 4 string is easier than a 5 though as you dont need to worry about the flappy B, the USA basses have the Posiflex graphite reinforced trussrod on a 5 string I think this could be why the older pre 2012 ones were not so good with a B string?

Rolled fingerboard edges, 4 ply pickguard, urethane finish on the body and neck is nice, and on a four string you get Custom Shop pickups (not on a 5 string, just USA Alnicos) High mass vintage bridge with strung through or top load options, string spacing adjustment, Light weight paddle tuners too. Mine only has two pieces to the body not three never mind five.

I can't say the USA badge did not draw me in a little but at the same time the US Standard for me is the right blend of everything they offer :)

[quote name='strtdv' timestamp='1415427967' post='2600190']
Generally speaking neck profiles are a bit different, USA will have a 3 piece body compared to a 5-6 piece body on the MIM. Pickups are considerably different, I don't know what they are now but MIM's used to have ceramic bar magnets glued to the bottom of the polepieces.
Finish is the other big area of difference, with Mexican ones having a thick polyester finish on the body, while American ones have a thinner polyurethane finish
Hardware is nicer on the American one too.
The Mexican ones are IMO great workhorse instruments after a pickup upgrade and can be bought pretty cheaply second hand.
New prices on the American standards are a bit silly, I feel you'd do much better with with an used American deluxe or an American vintage reissue depending on what you want.
[/quote]

Not exactly true. In the Mexican factory, they are not limited to 5-6 bits of body wood. They have ZERO wood wastage in the Mexican factory, so they use as many bits as they have to in order to not waste the wood. You could end up with loads of smaller bits glued together and sprayed over.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1415458795' post='2600579']
Don't be afraid to check out a Squire too if you're testing a Mexican against a USA Fender. You may be surprised. And also remember that pickups can be upgraded for less than the price difference between Mexican and USA bass.
[/quote]

I'm not enough of a bass connoisseur to really compare basses in an objective manner. But when I tried a full range of Squiers and Fenders in a shop once, I was surprised at how much better the USA made instruments felt than the Squiers, given what people have been saying about VM and CV Squiers. But, my personal experience was that the MIM Fenders didn't feel any better than the best Squiers.

I've played a good few various Fenders, and always come back to the MIA's.

Maybe I'm a bass snob, but they've always felt and played much better in my hands. The cheaper stuff can be quite okay and adequate, but lack the overall package of a MIA.

.....and you can pick up a used MIA for not masses more than a new MIM, and it'll always maintain a fair value.

I now own 2 MIM Precisions, one that I've just bought in CAR with a maple board and a white one with maple about 3 months ago, both new. I love the fit and finish on them too.

Both have very low non rattling actions which is perfect for me. I don't need anything else now.
I have owned USA Jazz & Precisions and while they tend to be heavier, the tuners are much better and of course the rolled edges which I miss. Apart from that I have 2 new MIM's for the price of 1 USA, I'm happy with that. B)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1415473526' post='2600770']
I don`t know much about Jazzes, but both MIA and MIM Precisions from 2008 onwards I`ve found to just feel much nicer to play, particularly the MIMs.
[/quote]

This. I've owned 3 MIM basses with dates ranging from 2004 through to 2014, and played all sorts in between, and while my old Deluxe Active P is a cracking example, the general trend I've noticed is that the newer stuff is better quality.

When it comes to MIM vs MIA all of the above points are valid. I haven't ever been able to justiy the extra expense of the American series because I'm not in a band or gigging, but if you're on the circuit a couple of nights a week it would definitely be a sound investment. Just make sure the differences sound/feel good to you before you decide for sure.

Are we talking the Fender Standard MIM?

There are some cracking basses coming from the Mexican factory, including the RoadWorn and Classic series.

Standard MIM's (as someone said above) are in my experience, not really all that much better than the Squier CV series, if at all. I would certainly rather buy the CV and save a couple hundred if it was my money.

I sold my 2005 USA P bass because it felt hard, cold and I was unable to properly connect with it. It was an awesome instrument, but my Roadworn just felt more organic- that old cliche of 'it was like an extension of me' or 'it plays itself'. I didn't get that from the US, although it felt more precision crafted. I guess in summary the USA felt like it had been built by robots, and the Roadworn by an old dude with magic in his hands.

My JV series feels like a bit of both, which is nice.

USA instruments are definitely better, but when there are such good deals to be hand second hand why would you consider anything else? £600 for a second hand USA in the current marketplace is a no-brainer.

Said it before, say it again, my 2010 MiM is the best jazz I've played. Impeccably finished, super lightweight and seriously growly and hot sounding. Real nice piece of kit. Modern MIM's are a cut above the older ones, don't discount them! :)

The Am. Std. also comes standard in a hardshell case, not a gig bag, like the Standard. That's about a $150. upgrade in favor of the Am. Std. The Am. Std. string stems on the head have a nut on the front of the head of each string stem that locks it in place, where the Standard is held in place by the four screws on the back of the head on each tuning key assembly.

I seem to like MIM Jazz Basses better than US and Japan made ones. They are not that appealing but I like their slightly darker, more vintage timbre. I had two Mexican Standard jazz basses and liked them more than Highway One, Limited 94, US Standard 5 and Deluxe from mid nineties I tried.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1415479501' post='2600845']
Are we talking the Fender Standard MIM?

There are some cracking basses coming from the Mexican factory, including the RoadWorn and Classic series.

Standard MIM's (as someone said above) are in my experience, not really all that much better than the Squier CV series, if at all. I would certainly rather buy the CV and save a couple hundred if it was my money.

I sold my 2005 USA P bass because it felt hard, cold and I was unable to properly connect with it. It was an awesome instrument, but my Roadworn just felt more organic- that old cliche of 'it was like an extension of me' or 'it plays itself'. I didn't get that from the US, although it felt more precision crafted. I guess in summary the USA felt like it had been built by robots, and the Roadworn by an old dude with magic in his hands.

My JV series feels like a bit of both, which is nice.

USA instruments are definitely better, but when there are such good deals to be hand second hand why would you consider anything else? £600 for a second hand USA in the current marketplace is a no-brainer.
[/quote]
Good post. But no Fender, ever, was built by an old dude with magic in his hands.

It's all very well saying you can buy a used USA for about £600 but, you are buying a used bass that you can't send back if there are problems and having had first hand experience of that I won't ever buy an expensive bass off here again.

My take on 'mint' doesn't seem to match up with other peoples, also 'low action', when I'm told it has a nice low action I discount that description because I know it's going to rattle like a pig if I do more than blow on the strings. I now just buy new because I've generally been so disappointed buying used here. Yes there are exceptions and I've had a few good basses too.

I've had good luck with used Fenders. A used MIM can be had for under £350 though, so comparing a used MIA to a new MIM isn't fair in my opinion.

If you're buying unseen then you can end up with something that isn't quite what you hoped, but generally you can move it on and not lose much, if anything.
You can sometimes get lucky and pick up a great instrument for a great price.

Fenders are funny, they're production line basses so you would imagine they'd be pretty standardised, but some feel and sound fantastic and some just don't, and that applies at all price points. You could get a MIM that would be a wonderful instrument and a definite keeper, but you could get an MIA that's lifeless. It's the luck of the draw unfortunately.
I'd say the ratio of good to bad improves as the price point goes up, but there are some gems of MIM standards, and even some dogs of custom shop instruments.

[quote name='mickcope' timestamp='1415706568' post='2602815']
...In terms of upgrading it - a lot of people talk about upgrading the pickups - any news welcome
[/quote]

See what it sounds like first. If it's not quite what you want then a set of Seymour Duncan QPs would be a reasonable place to start.

2009 onwards MiM pickups are actually really decent, they are a new type referred to as 'modern' or something IIRC. Certainly sound the nuts on my Jazz. Plenty of bark and fizz!

Edited by 40hz

When I went precision shopping I tried a lot of MIM and MIA stuff, and in the end came away with a US standard.

Some of the MIM models were nice, but for me, what clinched it was the MIA was lighter, better finish, better hardware and electronics, better resonance, better neck feel and fretwork, also came with a case, lead, truss rod tool and other bits which AFAIK the MIM ones don't.

Like anything though, it's the law of diminshing returns, many of the MIM models are really good for the money, so you really have to try before you buy and get the one which feels best to you and which suits your perception of value for money.