Why become a member? ×

Best 350-500 Watt Micro Head?

BassManGraham

I am looking for a good [b]MICRO head (with decent DI out)[/b] to power a tiny pair of Eden EX110s. I seek a one trip from car load in/load out for smaller gigs!

[b]I am considering GK MB500, Eden 500WTX, TC Electronic BH550, Ampeg Portaflex 350 or 500, or Aguilar 350 Tonehammer.[/b]

I know they all sound very different and ideally I would like to do head to head comparsion, but this will not be possible in forseeable future.

I had a GK RB700 really liked the sound but had a few reliability problems with it.

[b]Has anyone any experience specifically on the reliability and quality of DI out on these amps? [/b]

I am particularly concerned that Ampeg & TC Electronic amps do not have ground lift on DI out, which might be a prob in some venues?

Welcome comment from players. Cheers

Edited by BassManGraham

The Ampeg PF's are actually quite bulky; you won't get those in a gig bag pocket. I currently have a 350 and have owned a 500 in the past. Great tone and feature packed but heavy for their size and bulky.

I'd recommend the GK MB500 over anything else. Tiny, powerful, great tone and ultra-affordable.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1413112335' post='2574949']
The Ampeg PF's are actually quite bulky; you won't get those in a gig bag pocket. I currently have a 350 and have owned a 500 in the past. Great tone and feature packed but heavy for their size and bulky.

I'd recommend the GK MB500 over anything else. Tiny, powerful, great tone and ultra-affordable.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Really? I had the 350 and it fitted perfectly into my gig bag pocket. I wouldnt recommend one though as mine broke after 8 months and it was the same issue that alot of other users have encountered. I dont think I could trust one again.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1413112335' post='2574949']

Truckstop
[/quote]

Thanks. GK MB500 is looking favourite. As Ampeg PFs are relatively heavy and no ground lift on D.I. out?

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1413113124' post='2574958']
Really? I had the 350 and it fitted perfectly into my gig bag pocket. I wouldnt recommend one though as mine broke after 8 months and it was the same issue that alot of other users have encountered. I dont think I could trust one again.
[/quote]

Thanks, I've seen a couple of comments elsewhere which concern me about Ampeg reliability!?

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1413116205' post='2574991']
I regularly gig a Genz Shuttle 6 and have been very happy with it. Have used the DI out on a few gigs and it has always been very good.
[/quote]

Thanks Gary. I am a huge Genz Benz fan and use either a Shuttle 9.2 or 12.2 in my main rig racks. A complete travesty that their "parent" company Fender put the boot in and discontinued production of Genz Benz gear!.

I'm just thinking about something even smaller for rehearsal and smalller gigs.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1413126772' post='2575106']
GK MB500 would get my vote for small/lightweight with required DI, but I`d get the Fusion version, warmer sounding due to pre-amp valves, but can still do the famed GK tone as well. Very versatile little amp.
[/quote]

Yeah the Fusion looks really great but they do cost quite a fair bit more. I quite fancy that GK tone and I've spent far too much on gear lately!

I think an MB500 is emerging as the early odds on favourite compared to other brands.

I have a GK MB500. Through one Tecamp Puma 12" 8 ohm cab, it's plenty loud enough for rehearsals with a 5-piece country-pop band, although we're not an especially loud crew. On Friday, we played a large-ish working men's club and the keys player nicked my DI feed into the house mixer for his bv's, leaving me to fend for myself with the GK MB500 through two Tecamp Puma 12" cabs, both 8 ohms rated at 300w each. Amp gain set at about 1/2, bass at 1/2, mids at 2/3, treble at 1/2, "contour" just up from zero, overall volume at 2/3. No problem whatsoever keeping up. The amp is ridiculously light (about 2 kgs, I think) and makes gigs and rehearsals really back-friendly. Clear, mids-forward tone which suits me. Gets a big thumbs-up from me.

I have an MB800 which I gig at least once a week in various sizes of pubs and clubs. While it's not the 500 mentioned above it's broadly similar and I would recommend it completely. I am keen to try a Fusion version of the amp, but I wouldn't be disappointed if that didn't happen too soon. It's loud, versatile and light as a feather, it also barely gets warm even when driven hard.

I have the Eden wtx264 with Eden 12" cab. Not as powerful as you require so would prob be the 500 to run two cabs.

The sound is very natural. Warm and even. Amp head is mega quiet and the DI is great. I use it for feeding the drummer his own signal. Has ground lift too. Tiny footprint this amp. I can manage my bass and whole rig in one carry and Im vertically challenged.

If you're going to the SE Bass Bash on 1 Nov I could possibly send my Tonehammer 350 up with Nik (as I can't make the bash now) if noone else was taking one. Loving it and it gets equal use with the Streamliner 6.

The Aggie is a tiny amp with no loop, but tuner & DI outs, and sounds great with plenty of grunt

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1413198290' post='2575666']Over on TalkBass a 500 Kustom is getting rave reviews.
[/quote]

It is indeed, I've been thinking of checking one out: http://www.muziker.de/bassgitarren/bass-verstarker-topteile/ultralight-bassverstarker/p/16723-kustom-KXB500

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1413420557' post='2578176']
My ToneHammer 500 (slightly bigger than the 350) fits in the front pocket of my Mono bag, weighs nothing and sounds absolutely amazing.

Highly recommended :)
[/quote]

Indeed, small enough and pokey enough. Goes in my bass gig bag but sure, not 110% ideal long term.
Also works well will NEO cabs IMO....or at least the ones I have.

I'm still happily running my Promethean (either combo or just the head with bigger cab) and i've tried most of the heads mentioned in earlier posts. It's an excelent power/size/weight/price relation. Good DI quality and it hasn't missed a beat yet. Newer models seem to be less reliable though!

I have an Ampeg PF350 and it has great tone. I carry it in a Gator mixer bag and it fits perfectly and you can sling it over your shoulder. I get lots of compliments about its tone and a sound engineer remarked on the quality of the DI at the last gig I did with it.

Some great feedback guys. Many thanks to everyone above. I really don't want to spend more than £400 so very lovely as they are, Tonehammers, Tecamp Pumas & GK Fusions are out for me.

I very recently experienced problems with a TC Electronic BG250 DI out. So I am ruling out the TC electronic BG550 (and any amp without groundlift on the DI out)

I like a cleaner sound so I am leaning towards all solid state amps which should be a little more robust that hybrids. I have a Genz Benz Streamliner that does more than enough vintage valve warmth for my taste.

So for me I think it narrows down to Eden 500WTX or GK MB500. I tried out an Eden today which did sound great and would aesthetically match my cabs, but if anything I was a little bit confused by too much choice with all the push/pull options on every pot.

GKs are getting a lot of love and the MB500 has a nose in front, but now I am finding some amazing deals on the Edens at the moment which is making my decision all the harder!