Why become a member? ×

Weezer

NancyJohnson

I've been following this band since Blue...20 years of just buying CDs and reissues, Miles Cuomo solo efforts, official bootlegs and video and you know, it's taken until this afternoon for me to actually realise that I don't really like them that much, if at all. Well, maybe a few songs, but then I could say that about Dream Theater.

Oh, I've tried, don't get me wrong; I'm sure there's an [i]all killer, no filla[/i] greatest hits playlist to be had from what they've released to date (including the new one), but they leave me stone cold. For the last hour or so, I've just kept asking myself 'Why?' and 'Why did I persist for so long?'

Bleurgh. Message ends.
P

I liked Buddy Holly, but come on, who wouldn't like it? The singles have, by and large, been ok, it's just everything else! There's so much fill on all the albums.

It doesn't help either when the artist disowns some of their output. In a recent interview for Alternative Press, they pretty much said that the last three or four albums were awful. Well I'm sorry, a lot of people bought those (me!). If they're crap, you should know it at the time and don't release them.

Anyhow, that's me done.

Debut album for me only too! Great drummer and bvs, plus the first time I heard them was one of the first times I was out and about driving by myself in my mums Renault 5. Ended up doing about 15 mph so I could hear all of undone the sweater song being played by mark Radcliffe. Happydaze 😄

Debut album for me only too! Great drummer and bvs, plus the first time I heard them was one of the first times I was out and about driving by myself in my mums Renault 5. Ended up doing about 15 mph so I could hear all of undone the sweater song being played by mark Radcliffe. Happydaze 😄

Pinkerton is my favourite Weezer album, and the blue album is a close second. Have sung along to the blue album with friends like an idiot and spoken of forming a band for the purpose of covering the entire blue album. Newer stuff seems to have passed me by though.

Think Hurley was the only album where I couldn't find anything to like. I love a lot of their stuff but the percentage of filler per album has really been creeping up.

Saw them live at Leeds a few years ago and they were so much fun, playing the hits and looking like they were genuinely having a great time doing it, some fun covers
and Rivers legging it through the crowd and climbing over a fence, I've rarely seen a band enjoying themselves so much.

Was a refreshing change from some bands [size=4]I've seen who almost seem to resent the songs that got the where they are. [/size]

The blue and green albums were great, Pinkerton is one of my favourite records of all time.

Maladroit was the beginning of the end for me and I always felt like they changed from that point on. Then that song Beverley Hills totally killed it for me. It seemed like a novelty song in the same way as Pretty Fly for a White Guy was for The Offspring.

Still like the first 3 records though!

1st album brilliant. A couples singles were great too. Love pork and beans. I played that, has pipe and buddy holly live a few times.
Bought the album with the green cover in a hmv sale. Poor. As a few people above mentioned; they became a bit of a cliche somewhat. I like the new single tho' .
Never seen them live, so don't know if I missed out ..

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1413118124' post='2575018']
Have sung along to the blue album with friends like an idiot and spoken of forming a band for the purpose of covering the entire blue album.[/quote]

I follow one of the guys that runs Mike & Mike's Guitar Bar in Seattle on Instagram and they've done just that. They've even replicated all the band's original gear; Rivers' custom Strat, Matt's parts Jazz, Brian's Gibson Melody Maker SG, the level of details they've gone to is crazy. Simultaneously the nerdiest and coolest thing I've ever seen.

I like quite a few of Weezer songs, mostly from the Blue album. Keep Fishing(radio version) off Maladroit has a really good bassline, the reason I've said (rv) is seemingly the other version doesn't have as detailed bassline.

I don't know what happened with Beverley Hills not my thing really.

You Gave Your Love To Me Softly off Pinkerton is a favourite of mine, alongside Buddy Holly and Say It Ain't So both off the Blue Album

Forgot to add that my brother saw Weezer sometime last year, it was in the car park of his local shopping centre/mall and he said they were pretty loose and didn't sound particularly great so he said he was a bit disappointed with them. I've not seen them live so I can't comment but from watching them play on various tv programmes in the US they seem good, maybe they were just having an off day when my brother saw them

Edited by Mark_88MPH

Something that I might be the only person to notice and maybe I am imagining it, but the blue album was produced by Ric Ocasek (The Cars) and at the end of Only In Dreams before the guitar solo Cuomo sings 'Only in dreee-he-heee-he-heee-he-heeeams' (about the 4m mark if you want to Youtube it), which reminded me a lot of Ocasek's 'Girl uh-hurl uh-hurl' (around 3m) on The Cars' 'Best Friend's Girl'.

Either The Cars were a big influence on Cuomo for Ocasek to end up producing their debut album, or Cuomo was poking fun at his vocal style on that tune. I always thought he was aping him though.

Edited by thisnameistaken