Why become a member? ×

Which Warwick??

discreet

[b]Which Warwick??[/b]

I've got fairly bad Warwick GAS for some reason. It's a brand that has been on the periphery of my choices for decades, though I haven't tried as many different types of Warwick as I have Fender (for example). Maybe this is due to the fact that I don't much like the finish of 'em, or the shape of 'em. BUT... I want to get over this silly prejudice, because it's how a bass sounds and plays that really counts, isn't it? (Cue 30,000 bass players shouting, 'NO!!'). :D

I play fairly off-the-wall alt-rock, rock, indie-rock (call it what you will), in a 3+1 originals band, i.e. drums, guitar, bass and vocals. I like a big, beefy sound but with quite a pronounced mid-twang (pronounced 'MID TWANG') and a hint of top sizzle... well-defined and articulate, but with a lot of oomph... and the descriptions on this forum of the Warwick 'growl' and 'heft' are quite intriguing... I should also point out that I don't like thin, Jazz-type necks and prefer to grab hold of a big, wide handful of wood. Fnarr.

So I've already had the Streamer Stage I recommended to me, and that's fair enough - however I think the Streamer Stage II might be closer to the sound I'm thinking of, but that particular beast is fairly expensive... so I ask the Basschat Warwick massive this question... Which Warwick?? Or should I really be looking at a Spector?? :P

I thank you! :)

Edited by discreet

In my experience they all sound pretty similar, they definitely have a signature sound, I've tried a few different flavours over the years and they've all had that woody growl. I've got a thumb on it's way (when paypal finally pays the seller instead of getting interest on my money).

Only thing to be a bit careful of is the string spacing, it can get a little tight for my liking on some models.

I think you'll like the sound, they are very ballsy.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1412765896' post='2571733']
Only thing to be a bit careful of is the string spacing, it can get a little tight for my liking on some models.
I think you'll like the sound, they are very ballsy.
[/quote]

Well that's good, thanks. I see also that one of the differences between Stage I and Stage II is the string spacing.
I like wide spacing, which would point to a Stage I... but apparently the Stage II is a beast, sound-wise.
What's your Legend like?

Edited by discreet

check out Thomann,they are clearing out their stocks of Pro Series Warwicks at silly prices,don't be put off by them being made in Korea,they use the same pickups/preamps & hardware as the German basses,they are superb instruments,i have 2.
if you want a 4 string i would snap this up [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_ps_thumb_bo4_black_hg.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...o4_black_hg.htm[/url]
my Thumb sounds bloody ace,its the punchiest bass i have ever owned,whereas my Corvette has a mellower sound to it,i love both of them.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1412766054' post='2571735']
Well that's good, thanks. I see also that one of the differences between Stage I and Stage II is the string spacing.
I like wide spacing, which would point to a Stage I... but apparently the Stage II is a beast, sound-wise.
What's your Legend like?
[/quote]

I had a corvette fiver which was very very tight on the spacing, too tight for me. The thumb I've got coming is 17mm which is a little wider than my legend so will be fine. I understand they do broadnecked versions of several models too which would be ideal.

I like the legend, it's served me well but it really doesn't sound like a warwick, its much more polite, cleaner and synthetic. The warwicks (and i'd imagin full blown spectors) have a lovely woody core tone to my ears, which is much more open in the mids.

Edited by CamdenRob

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Well…where to start.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]I woudn’t say that Through Necks are any ‘better’ than bolt on, different certainly but as far better or worse I’m not sure.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Don’t overlook the humble Corvette J J pickup version – great basses, A great Jazz bass plus the Warwick Growl.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]$$ (Doublebucks) offer great tonal variation, can dial in virtually any sound with these.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Thumb - [/color][/size][size=3][color=#000000]to me give the classic Warwick sound in spades.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Infinity NT are great basses – Warwick’s highest priced non custom model.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]The discontinued German made (lower spec) Streamer Std is a good passive take on the Warwick theme.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Out of all the Warwick’s I’ve had and played my favourite is my MIJ Dophin Pro 2 !![/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]For collectors there are plenty of lovely basses, for the players I’d recommend, at least starting with, a Corvette J J or a $$ for variation.[/color][/size][/font]

I'm having a break from playing and selling up - soon so a few Warwicks will be appearing in the For Sale section soon.

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Neck profiles have change through the years so something to consider if this is important to you.[/color][/size][/font]

Edited by bagsieblue

From what I remember reading, and from my own experience with an '06 Streamer $$, Warwick went through a phase in the early 00's to about 08-09 when they used really thick, chunky necks. Still 38mm nuts (for the 4 strings obviously) but much chunkier front to back.

I'd actually say tht PJ-equipped Streamer or Fortress is more versatile than a $$ in a useful sense. The $$ cannot get near a Precision tone unfortunately IME.

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1412767208' post='2571756']
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Don’t overlook the humble Corvette J J pickup version – great basses, A great Jazz bass plus the Warwick Growl.[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

This! The German-made Corvettes are great and have more of that famous 'growl' than the more modern $$, in my opinion. Very good value for money second-hand. I picked mine up for around £450. String-spacing on the 5'ers is quite narrow (or typical, depending on what you're used to) at 16.5mm - but perfectly playable. I think the four-strings are a standard 18mm.

The Thumb - if you can stretch to one price-wise - is the pick of the crop, sound-wise (again, all IMO). Beautiful instruments.

Personally speaking, Warwick are my favourite manufacturers in terms of build quality, sound, playability and even ethics - they operate the world's only carbon-neutral manufacturing plant, and all of their woods are FSC-certified. That might not mean diddly-squat to many folks, but it chimes with me.

So yeah. Go on... you know you want one! :D

How weird, I've found myself suddenly looking with interest at early Thumb neck-thru 4 strings. Is it the case that an 89/90 Thumb neck thru is a very different beast from later models? I recall liking them as a kid playing basses in the Wapping bass centre but really hating any that I tried in the 90s and 00s. What happened to the brand? Are the early ones better? Also, is there a rule of thumb regarding neck dive on thumb basses or is it the case that yo iuhave to try it on first. Neck dive is a criminal fault in any bass in my opinion.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1412766164' post='2571738']
check out Thomann,they are clearing out their stocks of Pro Series Warwicks at silly prices,don't be put off by them being made in Korea,they use the same pickups/preamps & hardware as the German basses,they are superb instruments,i have 2.
if you want a 4 string i would snap this up [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_ps_thumb_bo4_black_hg.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...o4_black_hg.htm[/url]
[/quote]

That's an amazing price!
I have to say though, purely from the description of you music and style, I reckon a Spector Euro would serve you better. Growl is a description open to endless interpretation - both Spectors and Warwicks growl like mad but in very different ways. Spector's aggression seems more immediately suited to Rock/Metal to my ears and cut through the mix extremely well. Warwick's growl is a lower, more sinister grumble, like a snoozing tiger.

As I said in the other thread - MiK Star Bass if you can still find one.

It's the one on all the tracks except "Dead DeadBeat Delinquent" on our [url="http://terrortones.bandcamp.com"]latest recordings[/url]. Plenty of "girth" and "twang". Helps if you run it through some valves. It's currently my main bass and used in preference for it's sound and looks over basses by Gus, Overwater, Sei and Yamaha.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1412772652' post='2571851']
As I said in the other thread - MiK Star Bass if you can still find one.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, sounds good - but not sure if the hollow-body thing is for me, though... :) lots of great suggestions and info here, thanks very much guys... I'm obviously going to have to try out a shedload of Warwicks!* Any Warwick owners in south-east London..? :)

*And Spectors... :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1412766164' post='2571738']
...if you want a 4 string i would snap this up [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_ps_thumb_bo4_black_hg.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...o4_black_hg.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Wow. That is extremely tempting.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1412772064' post='2571837']
I reckon a Spector Euro would serve you better. Warwick's growl is a lower, more sinister grumble, like a snoozing tiger.
[/quote]

The Euro looks canny, but it's a [i]little [/i]expensive for me atm. :) And your description of the Warwick growl is selling it to me... :D

Mark, you need to go and try some. All this talk of the intrinsic sounds of various Warwicks is just nonsense really. It depends on so many other factors. They are lovely to play, well the ones I have had have been, and they are generally very versatile. Go for the one that looks like you want it to, and see if you can try a few out mate.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1412777483' post='2571935']
Mark, you need to go and try some. All this talk of the intrinsic sounds of various Warwicks is just nonsense really.
[/quote]

You're quite right of course Nige, and I will certainly do that. :)
However, 'low, sinister grumble like a snoozing tiger' was worth starting the thread for! :D

Edited by discreet

My German Corvette just felt so right as soon as I picked her up, and sounds just as good. Perhaps the neck might be too slim for you though but I think it's perfect and is usually my 'go to' bass.

Having said that maybe you could look for a Fortress One or Fortress Masterman? My German Fortress One has a thicker neck than my Corvette. Sounds and balances awesome. She'll be going with me to rehearsal tonight :-)

I still love my P and 4001 but I've been a Warwick convert since first picking up and pluging in the Corvette.

Happy Warwick hunting :)

Only recently moved away from Warwick’s as my main bass, but here is my 2p worth.[list=1]
[*]Streamer Stage II - fantastic bass, I couldn’t part with it, loads of mid growl. Crisp, articulate. Best way I can describe it is, Precise.
[*]Thumb 03 5NT - Quintessential Warwick sound, with a set of Dr low riders on, fantastic punch and power, the sustain was really impressive. I found the neck a little too thick, which is why we parted company. If i had the money i would buy a new one with the thinner neck.
[*]Corvette 2010 LTD NT - Beautiful bass, unbelievable clarity and top end, I just spent most of my time trying to make it sound like the Streamer, and getting lost in the variations in tone.
[/list]
I agree that the growl is more RnB Funk rather than metal. Analogue v digital may be a way to describe it?
Warwick necks from 01-09 have a thicker neck profile, the 3d bridge also allows for adjusting the string spacing.