Why become a member? ×

Which Warwick??

discreet

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1412933845' post='2573380']
I'm not so keen on the flattish fretboard, (20" they say) or the big frets, but certainly a good player & some sweet tones.
[/quote]

I'm always up for a compromise if the tones are good. My vintage Hayman is a slab body (uncomfortable), suffers from neck dive, the action won't go as low as I'd like, the tuners could be better, the intonation is hard to adjust, the pots can be crackly, there is typical cracking of the finish at the neck joint and on and on. BUT none of this matters - because it's the best-sounding bass I've heard anywhere in four decades and is a hand-made British classic. :)

Remind me why I've got GAS for a Warwick, again?? :blink:

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1412934632' post='2573391']
What happened to your lovely custom P?
[/quote]

Part-exchanged it for my 1960 Limelight Jazz. It's currently up for sale on Classic & Cool if you're interested.
[url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/custom51p.htm"]http://www.classican...s/custom51p.htm[/url]

Possibly not one of my best decisions, but it wasn't getting any use as I'm now into the twin-pickup sound in a big way. It would otherwise have languished in its case in the cupboard under the stairs. :) And young master discreet is a lefty, so...

I do have a 1983 G&L SB-2 in the pipeline, so that should be interesting. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1412940068' post='2573461']
You've started something now, I keep looking at the PS Thumb's on the Thomann site!
[/quote]
go on just buy it :)
yoy know you want too :)

I got one recently & love it to bits,cracking bass

Edited by artisan

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1412943027' post='2573500']
Mark, if you're wanting a Warwick, have a search on the Bass Gallery site.
Here's one I saw on there: [url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=2878&type=Bass%20Guitar"]http://www.thebassga...e=Bass%20Guitar[/url]
[/quote]

Very nice! But I really need to play a few and get a feel for the Warwick, er... 'thing'. ;)

Here are my few pennies on this topic. I have owned several Spectors and also Warwicks, have tested a whole bunch of them. We have a store here that has lots of low to high end warwicks in stock, very nice.

Spectors have a more aggressive, metallic vibe with an enourmous deep bass cushion if you want it. They have a glassy high end and a very recognizable throaty snarl. I know the Rebops and the Euros, and i like the Rebops better. A bit more punchy they are, less glass :) Superb Basses with an unmistakeable character.

In direct comparison the Spectors sound more scooped, the Warwicks sound fuller and thicker.

Of the Warwicks I know the Corvette JJ and $$, the Streamer Stage I and the Thumb BO. I liked the Streamer the least, they sound a bit like a washed down, tamer Spector Euro to me. Tame would be my first impression on its sound, not my cup of tea.

The Corvettes have a special rather small and compact, yet heavy body. You should definitely try one first to see if you like it. I ended up selling my otherwise very nice $$ Corvette because of it. Soundwise, the JJ has more growl and character and the $$ can cover every needed type of sound. You can't replicate every Bass sound with it, but you can get pretty close. It pulls off superb J Bass sounds, MM tone and can even dish out a convincing P-Bass thud. The most versatile bass guitar ever, and as a MM Bongo player that means something. The JJ (Standard Vette) in active mode is like a J-Bass, only better. Growls like mad.

The Thumb is the stereotypical Warwick bass. It is heavy, not exactly pretty but it really defines the term growl. It functions extremely well in just about every mix, can also get quite glassy on the top end... but boy, that growl. Whenever I try to show someone the typical Warwick growl, I point them to the Thumb. I like the bolt on version better. The hands down best imo is the Thumb BO 6, it has very nice soapbars instead of the two single coils.

A band using a nice growly warwick bass sound would be Karnivool. Try Goliath or Simple Boy by them. And of course the nice intro to "All i Know", there you can hear the exquisite Thumb top end.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDKsosOvVmw"]https://www.youtube....h?v=sDKsosOvVmw[/url]
ohhh that bit at 1:19... love it.

Edited by djaxup

[quote name='djaxup' timestamp='1412946222' post='2573547']
Here are my few pennies on this topic. I have owned several Spectors and also Warwicks, have tested a whole bunch of them. We have a store here that has lots of low to high end warwicks in stock, very nice.
[/quote]

Thanks very much for this post. Very comprehensive. :) It seems that given the very wide scope of genres that a Warwick can be used for, there are as many opinions on which is the best model and why, than there are genres and sub-genres! Which is what you would expect, really... :) Looking forward to playing a few, that's for sure.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1412947751' post='2573556']
I'd like that, thanks very much. :)
[/quote]

No worries, you'd be more than welcome...

If anyone else around london has a Warwick maybe we could get a few of us together.. compare a few different models.

... then go to the pub :mellow:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1412948117' post='2573559']
... then go to the pub :mellow:
[/quote]

Well naturally. I'm not really interested in Warwicks - I merely need someone to enable my untreatable alcoholism. :mellow:
I should warn you though - after about twenty minutes drinking I'm likely to drop to my knees and howl like a wolf.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1412970961' post='2573839']
Discreet, what was the nut width on your 51 custom?
[/quote]

I believe it was 1 and 5/8 inches, or 1.625", or 41.3mm. But I could be wrong, of course...
Mark will tell you for certain if you drop him an email. :)

[quote name='djaxup' timestamp='1412946222' post='2573547']

Spectors have a more aggressive, metallic vibe with an enourmous deep bass cushion if you want it. They have a glassy high end and a very recognizable throaty snarl. I know the Rebops and the Euros, and i like the Rebops better. A bit more punchy they are, less glass :) Superb Basses with an unmistakeable character.

[/quote]

Great description! Throaty snarl is very Spector.