Why become a member? ×

How many of you play synth bass?

molan

Our rhythm guitarist adds keys on a few songs and brought along his new baby Novation MiniNova to rehearsals last night. I had a quick play and it was great fun using the squelchy bass settings to try and cover Bernie Worrel type Parliament funky bass parts (although my playing was pretty useless!).

With all the new, relatively low cost, analogue bass heavy synths out there at the moment (Novation Bass Station II looks cool) I just wondered how many people used one alongside a bass for either recording or live work?

OOOOOOOO! That looks fun.

Of course I've just splashed out on a EHX Micro Synth but one of the ideas our keyboard player had was for me to do the 80's and 90's R&B tunes we cover by doing the synth bass lines on erm, bass synth. Kinda makes sense.

Of course my playing is flipping useless but I suppose that's no excuse. On the downside, it's just one more bit of kit to setup and break down.

I've been doing some stuff on synth for a few years now. I've got a bunch of synth pedals too which do a good enough job, but
there is a sound and feel that I think you can only get playing a synth.Plus,I tend to approach it differently than I would if I was
playing electric bass.

I've been playing synth (and not just bass parts) since 1981 when I bought an EDP Wasp. From 83 to 89 I was in an all-electronic band where I only played synth with the guitar and bass relegated to writing duties only.

Over the last 30 or so years I've owned loads of synths including Korg MS20, MS50 and VC10, Roland SH09, SH101 and Jupiter 6, Ensoniq ESQ1, Casio CZ101, CZ5000 and CZ1.

These days my hardware synth of choice is the Nord Lead.

I use a Novation Super Bass Station (rack mounted module) and an obscure thing called a Firstman SQ-01, which has a built in sequencer. I have used them in the past along with bass guitar, but more often on completely electronic tracks where both modules are often playing different bass parts simulataneously. Some of my electronic stuff is up on [url="https://soundcloud.com/namesinmarble"]Soundcloud[/url]. I've always loved the way that New Order combined synth bass and bass guitar, as well as various industrial rock bands that also did interesting things along these lines. In particular, Stabbing Westward whose songs featured excellent bass guitar and synth parts.

Edited by chriswareham

I used a synth a few years ago after breaking my left arm/shoulder. Bought a Roland D5 s/h and played it on around 25 gigs until I could manage my Stingray again. Worked okay IIRC, and my band mates were great about it too. If I'd been unable to do this would have suffered a lot of financial hardship as was a pro function band. (Also saved me the nightmare of getting deps who turn out to be better than myself!)

Edited by casapete

We played a wedding anniversary last year and the couple wanted "You Spin Me Round" by Dead or Alive, I worked the bass line out on bass but couldn't get it to sound right so I worked it out on my Micro Korg, I played it on the night it sounded great and I really enjoyed it, I now try to work out all of our original song bass lines on the synth just to see how they sound

i Wish someone would make a synth bass pedal that you could use. (that doesnt sound like a silly rasberry)i play in an 80s band and have tried every one out there and still cant get that basic 80s synth bass sound???? i am currently using a Zoom B3 which is ok??

One day some one must do it???? i think it would really sell?

[quote name='hen barn' timestamp='1410976082' post='2555272']
i Wish someone would make a synth bass pedal that you could use. (that doesnt sound like a silly rasberry)i play in an 80s band and have tried every one out there and still cant get that basic 80s synth bass sound???? i am currently using a Zoom B3 which is ok??

[/quote]

MarkBass is the best one I've tried (apart from an Akai which is really expensive now).

[quote name='hen barn' timestamp='1410976082' post='2555272']

[/quote]

IMO synth bass pedals are pretty much a waste of time. Even with my very rudimentary keyboard technique I can do synth stuff far more easily and more accurately on the keyboard then I'll ever be able to manage using the bass through pedals no matter how much I practice.

Outside of a pedal, No...
The only advantage I can hear is the actual way you'd play the keyboard
as it is so hard to get bass gtr part anywhere near close, IMO.
For the gigs I do, it is another set of kit to carry set against the sound and feel
I'd gain in a few numbers.
So... it is not for me..

I haven't used a synth pedal yet, but what I do use for synthy sounds are combinations of my pedals. Fuzz/overdrives into filters, or octaves into fuzz/overdrives. I can get a lot of very different sounds by using various combinations of pedals. They work pretty well for my needs at the moment, and my board is already full up so there's no room for more toys.