Why become a member? ×

Phil Lynott : 65th birthday - 'Live & Dangerous' day on BC?

The Admiral

Next Wednesday, the late and much missed Phil Lynott would have turned 65. Whether or not you are a fan of his work, no-one can question his talents as a writer, player, singer or, most of all, frontman, and I'm sure many on this forum will have picked up a bass in no small part due to his influence.

I'll be travelling back from Scotland that afternoon, but I'll be making a point of listening to the Thin Lizzy classic album, 'Live and Dangerous', which still sets the benchmark for live rock recordings in many peoples opinions (and let's not get into a tedious riff about how 'live' it actually is, as it matters not, it sounds fantastic). I'd like to think that we might look to make this a BC wide listening experience that day, in tribute to a great and influential player,and to send some good vibes to him and his loved ones.

I'll also be raising a glass to one of Eire's favourite sons.

I saw them at Wembley June '78 during what turned out to be the 'Live and Dangerous' tour. Pretty much set the bar as far as me and live music are concerned - I've enjoyed some gigs nearly as much since then (a couple this last year, as it happens) but nothing has bettered that night.

Slightly as an aside, I saw a Lizzy tribute band a few days ago - Limehouse Lizzy. It actually brought back a lot of memories. The band were very good but the front guy was absolutely amazing. He didn't try to mimic Lynott or dress like him (black stingray with mirror plate) but he had great stage presence and very reminiscent of Lynott. Well worth seeing if you haven't before.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1408347420' post='2529093']

Slightly as an aside, I saw a Lizzy tribute band a few days ago - Limehouse Lizzy. It actually brought back a lot of memories. The band were very good but the front guy was absolutely amazing. He didn't try to mimic Lynott or dress like him (black stingray with mirror plate) but he had great stage presence and very reminiscent of Lynott. Well worth seeing if you haven't before.
[/quote] I remember him. We did a couple of shows with them in Masham. He was cheery enough but he sort of backed off shuddering and wouldn't shake my hand. I'd had a bath that month too ! Weird. Enjoyed their show , though. I liked Phil. As a fledgling singing bass player and rock fan I learned a lot from him. He seemed keen to diversify from the rockband front man role and it would have been interesting to see what he put out as his career matured. Sadly he chose to mess his life up and we never saw it happen. I can't think of anything more satisfying than to be rich, successful and well respected for doing what you love best and I find it hard to think of him now without adding the word 'pillock' in my head - such a waste.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1408347420' post='2529093']
I saw them at Wembley June '78 during what turned out to be the 'Live and Dangerous' tour. Pretty much set the bar as far as me and live music are concerned - I've enjoyed some gigs nearly as much since then (a couple this last year, as it happens) but nothing has bettered that night.

[/quote]

I went to that one as well. A great night as I recall....it was a long time ago mind! I also saw "Thin Lizzy" just before they were re-christened Black Star Riders at The Cliffs Pavilion Southend. They were OK and did a good job on all the songs but....no Phil...

Was very sad when he passed.

Top player, vocalist and songwriter. 'Lizzy' were as good as anyone else when they were at their best. Saw Scott Gorham a couple of years ago and his playing was masterful-one of the sweetest guitar players in rock. Also. Lynott just looked like a rock God without even trying ( Note to self- avoid looking in the mirror)
'Live and Dangerous' will be played at my house and turned up to 11 on Wednesday. The rest of the Lizzy catalogue is well worth checking out. Many of their lesser known tracks are absolute crackers.

Of course when I was sixteen I was the Bassist/Vocalist with a school rock band in the rural west of Ireland and the morning after one of our gigs I popped into our local coffee shop. I was completely shocked to see Lynott sitting their on his own, long black leather coat, cowboy boots etc. He had a big grin and turned to me and said "howaya doin' young fella". i was stuck to the spot. I felt that I was seeing a ghost. We spoke briefly and he came across as a top bloke.

still love you Philo

Edited by leroydiamond

• 4 months later...

There's a good documentary about Thin Lizzy on BBC iplayer at the mo, parts of their Legends series.
Really enjoyed it as I've not really delved into their work further than the usual excellent singles..

What a band!!

( and who said you need a low strap to rock! ;) )

I'm a massive Lizzy fan, I have a huge amount of there recorded output, been a fan since I was a 14 year old, I am 54 later this year, saw them In their twilight years in Germany with Snowy White and saw them again after Phil had died with John Skyes and the great Marco Mendoza. Hardly a week go's by without me playing at least one of their albums. The boys are back I town is still my favourite song ever.

When i was a kid, my Mum took me to see one their earliest gigs one lunchtime somewhere (the peacock theatre i think, but could be wrong).

I never got over the coolness of that man. Before he polished up his performance his long legs used to knock over the mic stands when prowled across the stage.

And a nod to Skid Row as well, where it all started.

What a loss. A poet, really.

Edited by fatback

Big fan of Lizzy. ;)

First live viewing of Phil and the boys was on the Johnny the fox tour - '76??

For me, he is a legend and I was very upset when he passed away.

That said. . . . . . and please forgive me for this but. . . . .

. . . if he was going to continue down the drugs route, would it be a great thing for him to
have slipped into obscurity as he declined in health - look at Brian Robertson now!
Sort of Phil Spector - a legend in his day but all I can think of now is the prison mug shots. :(

I really am sad that he went so soon but sometimes that is how they are frozen in time - Hendrix,
Elvis, Kurt Curbain, Jim Morrisson etc.

For me, he is frozen in time!

We play a lot of Lizzy and I will always be a big fan - perhaps the main reason I leaned toward
four strings and not six.

:)

I'm constantly listening to Live and Dangerous as Think Lizzy's front man, but I always tell everyone...we're never a tribute band - the man is simply too hard an act to do justice to.

Both Limehose and Dizzy Lizzy are great bands to go and see...if we get anywhere near that level I'd be happy!

Edited by DaytonaRik