Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.8, Surrey, Saturday 1st November 2014

silverfoxnik

[quote name='Captain Rumble' timestamp='1414360181' post='2588672']
It would be really good if someone could bring along a Streamliner to compare with my Tonehamer and maybe Bassace's Puma500
[/quote]

I'll ask WalMan if he wouldn't mind us borrowing his for Saturday, as he can't be there this weekend..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1414426546' post='2589164']
Spot-on Jack; Colin's going to bring it all with him.. By the way - what time do you want to do your talk on Saturday?
[/quote]

Every hour, on the hour, no re-admission without a valid ticket or a stamp on the back of the hand.

The artiste requests no flash photography, autographs strictly by appointment.

There's a certain logic to doing it earlier in the day rather than later, if only to allow those as wants to to see if it works for them during the day ...

Rats!! I've been offered a dep job for Saturday but it's in Norwich. I've been pondering the idea of coming along to the bash in the morning then going on to Norwich from there, although I also need to meet up with one of the other band members along the way, in Herts, so might not get much time. I was really looking forward to the bash, too, but I'm thinking I might need to give it a miss after all. I've removed my name from the list but if the gig happens to not go ahead for some reason, I'll defo be there. Hopefully next year... (not to mention the LBGS, London bass bash, Herts bass bash, etc).
Have fun!
Steve

Updated List:
1. Hamster -
2. Silverfoxnik - BC Rich Eagle, Schecter Diamond P5, Levinson Blade B15, amp & cab tbc
3. Bluejay - with no fewer than two cameras, and possibly her so far pretty successful - despite being lefty - Warwick Corvette 5 Pro
4. Happy Jack - who knows what I will bring this year?
5.Chris B
6.TheGreek
7. iD Entity - Zon 5, Wal 4, Amp of some kind, a couple fun pedals
8. Bassace - German laminate double bass, TecAmp Puma 500 amp, MAS 45 (4x5") cab
9. Walman - some bits to be decided
10. Kiwi
11. Sibob - Whatever I'm using for my gig that night
12. obbm - Sadowskys, Mesa Prodigy, Berg CN212, Mesa Bottle Rocket and some cables
13. StephenY - Alpher Bass #004 and EBS TD650
14.seashell - MIM Fender Precision
15.Bottle - mixed bag of goodies, Ibanez, Squier and a bunch of cabs, amps n pedals
16.Macdaddy - possibly Paul the drummer. Will confirm at tonight's gig.
17. Billy Apple - Burman Rig, Ric 4001, Squier JV, George Cox White Joe Strummer Creepers
18. PTB - MTD 535, Reverend 5, MarkBass combo, any new toys acquired in the meantime
19. ChunkyMunky - Musicman Bongo 4HH, Musicman Bongo LTD '07 HS, MarkBass F1.
20. Charic - Modded MIM P, ACG 4, Yamaha RBX6JM, Hartke Kilo, Bergantino NV610 + Pedals
21. Shockwave - Fender Precision 1977.
22. Johnm03 - Satellite and small Stagg thing...
23. steve-bbb - hartke + trb + status + couple of J's
24. xilddx - Fender Japan Power Jazz Bass Special / Zulu Bass / 1961 Gibson Melody Maker guitar / POD X3 LIVE
25. Bradwell - Fender MIJ Jazz Bass, Danelectro '63 short scale, Home Built Fretless, amplification TBC
26. rumblefish - Reverend Rumblefish bass,WAL custom, Alembic F1X pre amp,RSE power Amp,Berg CN212
27. smaz - Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn, possibly Squire JV Precision. Barefaced Gen3 + Orange Terror if I bring my amp!
28. barneyg42- Status S2 headless 5-string, Status headed S1 5-string. TC BH500 TC 2x10 Barefaced Compact 1x15
29. 6feet7 - GUS G3 Active Retro, Parker Fly PB51, Hopefully an Epiphone Zenith (if I can buy my old one back in time), a couple of 1980's Ibanez Roadstar 2 RB850's (if they haven't sold, they will be for sale otherwise), TC BG500 1x15 combo.
30. Lozz196
31. Captain Rumble - Barefaced S12T, Aguilar TH500, Tecamp Puma 350 (for sale), Sandberg Basic 4, and my son happens to be a drummer despite my attempts to keep him on the straight and narrow
32. hen_barn - Status kingbass , ebs reidmar and vanderklays

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1414219695' post='2587145']

At the last Herts Bash there was a really good P-Bass Test for example, so if anyone fancies doing something along similar lines, that'd be cool... Or a 'solid-state Vs valve amps' shoot-out would be good... Basically, anything that shares some good ideas, shows us something new and gets us thinking would be great!
[/quote]

I'd be willing to put my EBS TD650 forward as a "middle ground" contender if someone wanted to run this! Would like to hear the difference side by side with SS/Digital/Tube rigs

[quote name='StephenYork' timestamp='1414445630' post='2589436']
I'd be willing to put my EBS TD650 forward as a "middle ground" contender if someone wanted to run this! Would like to hear the difference side by side with SS/Digital/Tube rigs
[/quote]

Thanks! Am trying to organise something at the moment and will post something tomorrow...

[quote name='Captain Rumble' timestamp='1414525894' post='2590313']
you can put it on mine then it will look like I own a decent bass :rolleyes: :D :yarr:
[/quote]

If I bring my `78 Precision along can I do the same, as GASSING on Aguilar Tonehammer 500s at present - which I see you`re bringing along?

[quote name='StephenYork' timestamp='1414445630' post='2589436']

[/quote]

OK, so a quick update on the idea of a valve vs solid state vs hybrid amp 'shoot-out'..

Having discussed it with Chimike, we think it'd be interesting to compare the relative merits of:

Valve amps
Hybrid amps (valve pre + solid state output stage)
Lightweight Class D amps

We have the following amps put forward for this so far:

EBS TD650
Fender Bassman
Trace Elliot Quatra Valve
Marshall Superbass 100
Ampeg (model TBC)
GB Streamliner 600
Aguilar Tonehammer 500
Hughes & Kettner Bassbase 600
Mesa Walkabout

If anyone has any other amps that might make this more intresting, then please let us know? Thinking of Markbass, Thunderfunk, GK, Eden etc, etc.

We will probably do this using a couple of different basses and a couple of different cabs, including my SWR Triad, which is a good all rounder.. Suggestions/offers of basses and cabs for this will be very welcome :)

Would also welcome suggestions as to how to run this - thinking of perhaps doing it like the P Bass shootout at the last Hert's Bash?

Is anyone interested in being the demo bass player for this??

Time will be 2pm-3pm.

In terms of other talks in the Theatre:

Happy Jack's talk will be at 12pm

Roger (basssace) will have his DB with him to do small sessions as and when (hope that's OK Roger?)

See you Saturday!

Nik

Forgive my intrusion here but with the amp test - that many amps looks a little unwieldy... 10+ amps though several cabs and no-one will be able to remember one sound from another...

Perhaps just two amps from each catagory through two different cabs or something similar?

Also how the EQ is set etc will make a massive difference to the tone unless they are all to be set flat?

I can't make this years event unfortunately, which is a shame as this sounds like an interesting test... but for me there are too many variables to discern anything useful from it.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1414568351' post='2590659']
OK, so a quick update on the idea of a valve vs solid state vs hybrid amp 'shoot-out'..

Having discussed it with Chimike, we think it'd be interesting to compare the relative merits of:

Valve amps
Lightweight Class D amps

EBS TD650
Fender Bassman
Marshall Superbass 100
Ampeg (model TBC)
GB Streamliner 600
Aguilar Tonehammer 500
Mesa Walkabout

If anyone has any other amps that might make this more intresting, then please let us know? Thinking of Markbass, Thunderfunk, GK, Eden etc, etc.

We will probably do this using a couple of different basses and a couple of different cabs, including my SWR Triad, which is a good all rounder.. Suggestions/offers of basses and cabs for this will be very welcome :)

Would also welcome suggestions as to how to run this - thinking of perhaps doing it like the P Bass shootout at the last Hert's Bash?

Is anyone interested in being the demo bass player for this??

Time will be 2pm-3pm.
[/quote]

As an alternative to having someone play the same line over and over, might it not be a better idea (in terms of consistency) to use either a looper pedal or a pre-recorded bass track. I was planning on bringing my laptop anyway, which has some bass tracks on it from the mixing challenge. I can bring the interface and a reamping box as well, if that helps. Alternatively we could record the bass direct and then loop it [i]ad infinitum[/i] from the laptop?

Anyway, just a thought that might prove useful!

Cheers,
Ian

Re: amp shootout - I think you need to have two Identical cabs or some sort of switching box for a proper side by side comparison.
Tone controls set flat and using a looper pedal are both good ideas.

I should be picking up my bass amplification the night before the bash, been saving up for ages. Two cabs + a big hybrid head although I'm keeping it secret until I've actually bought the rig (not a done deal until I hand over the money.)

If anyone is updating the attendance list I will definitely bring the following

25. Bradwell - Fender MIJ Jazz Bass, Danelectro '63 short scale, Ibanez GSR 206, TC Electronic RH450 + Footswitch.

The homebuilt fretless is still in bits but might get put together in a playable state over the next two evenings.

As per request :)

Updated List:
1. Hamster -
2. Silverfoxnik - BC Rich Eagle, Schecter Diamond P5, Levinson Blade B15, amp & cab tbc
3. Bluejay - with no fewer than two cameras, and possibly her so far pretty successful - despite being lefty - Warwick Corvette 5 Pro
4. Happy Jack - who knows what I will bring this year?
5.Chris B
6.TheGreek
7. iD Entity - Zon 5, Wal 4, Amp of some kind, a couple fun pedals
8. Bassace - German laminate double bass, TecAmp Puma 500 amp, MAS 45 (4x5") cab
9. Walman - some bits to be decided
10. Kiwi
11. Sibob - Whatever I'm using for my gig that night
12. obbm - Sadowskys, Mesa Prodigy, Berg CN212, Mesa Bottle Rocket and some cables
13. StephenY - Alpher Bass #004 and EBS TD650
14.seashell - MIM Fender Precision
15.Bottle - mixed bag of goodies, Ibanez, Squier and a bunch of cabs, amps n pedals
16.Macdaddy - possibly Paul the drummer. Will confirm at tonight's gig.
17. Billy Apple - Burman Rig, Ric 4001, Squier JV, George Cox White Joe Strummer Creepers
18. PTB - MTD 535, Reverend 5, MarkBass combo, any new toys acquired in the meantime
19. ChunkyMunky - Musicman Bongo 4HH, Musicman Bongo LTD '07 HS, MarkBass F1.
20. Charic - Modded MIM P, ACG 4, Yamaha RBX6JM, Hartke Kilo, Bergantino NV610 + Pedals
21. Shockwave - Fender Precision 1977.
22. Johnm03 - Satellite and small Stagg thing...
23. steve-bbb - hartke + trb + status + couple of J's
24. xilddx - Fender Japan Power Jazz Bass Special / Zulu Bass / 1961 Gibson Melody Maker guitar / POD X3 LIVE
25. Bradwell - Fender MIJ Jazz Bass, Danelectro '63 short scale, Ibanez GSR 206, TC Electronic RH450 + Footswitch.
26. rumblefish - Reverend Rumblefish bass,WAL custom, Alembic F1X pre amp,RSE power Amp,Berg CN212
27. smaz - Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn, possibly Squire JV Precision. Barefaced Gen3 + Orange Terror if I bring my amp!
28. barneyg42- Status S2 headless 5-string, Status headed S1 5-string. TC BH500 TC 2x10 Barefaced Compact 1x15
29. 6feet7 - GUS G3 Active Retro, Parker Fly PB51, Hopefully an Epiphone Zenith (if I can buy my old one back in time), a couple of 1980's Ibanez Roadstar 2 RB850's (if they haven't sold, they will be for sale otherwise), TC BG500 1x15 combo.
30. Lozz196
31. Captain Rumble - Barefaced S12T, Aguilar TH500, Tecamp Puma 350 (for sale), Sandberg Basic 4, and my son happens to be a drummer despite my attempts to keep him on the straight and narrow
32. hen_barn - Status kingbass , ebs reidmar and vanderklays

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1414568351' post='2590659']

Valve amps
Lightweight Class D amps

EBS TD650
Fender Bassman
Marshall Superbass 100
Ampeg (model TBC)
GB Streamliner 600
Aguilar Tonehammer 500
Mesa Walkabout

In terms of other talks in the Theatre:

Happy Jack's talk will be at 12pm

Roger (basssace) will have his DB with him to do small sessions as and when (hope that's OK Roger?)

See you Saturday!

Nik
[/quote]

Fine by me, Nik. If I've got room I'll bring along an EUB as well.

Some great suggestions folks - thank you!

A looper pedal is a very cool idea, so yes please to that Ian.

CamdenRob; all points noted and flat eq is the way to go for sure.. As to how many amps.. two from each section would make sense also.

I think it might also be interesting to use a drum loop/beat as well, to provide some context...