Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Back Up Amp Heads

Weststarx

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1405014053' post='2497955']
Hello All,

Having recently waited 3 weeks for my amp head to return from Laney when it broke down, I've wondered if theres amp head out there thats either made or is ideal to be used as a backup.

Anyone got any advice?
[/quote]

I had an Acoustic head went up in smoke, literally, during a gig 20-odd years ago. I've always carried a spare since then, and never needed it !

Never leave home without a BDI21 too these days.

You're round Cambridge way, are you not? A bit late now perhaps, but drop me a PM if you get stuck in future.

Yup. Get a small Class D amp.

My current backup is a Phil Jones D200 that I got off eBay for stupidly little money. Comes to every gig, and stays in the boot of the car. Just nice to know its there in case the big one has a funny turn one night

Thanks for your input guys, really helpful...

I think I will deffinately buying a spare one, perhaps I'll be looking at some of the ones mentioned above and see if they appear on ebay or gumtree etc second hand.

I used a Fender Rumble 350 which I hired from my local studio which I thought was excellent.

What about something like a Behringer? Or is it worth buying something better secondhand?

I usually drop my ancient HH VS Bassamp in the back of the car. It's sturdy, loud, and relatively light and easy to carry, and very cheap to buy and repair.
I have used that instead of my TC RH450 in particularly dodgy venues, where beer may be spilt, people fall down drunk over kit, or gear just disappears from stage during breaks...

I have a Behringer iNuke amp as a back-up - purely because it also serves as a backup for the PA amp.
If both amps go down together, chances are it's a problem with the venue's power, but as it's a stereo amp I can use 1 side for PA and 1 side for bass :)

Note: you do still need a pre-amp for bass if you take this route, but I use a Zoom B3.

I bought a TC BH250 as a small, light backup for my Ashdown amp and also because the toneprint thing sounded like fun.

After a couple of weeks playing with toneprints I've never used that feature since but the amp itself became my main amp because it's so light and compact to carry around that I can no longer be bothered to lug my Ashdown gear to most gigs.

So, perversely, buying a backup amp has left me without a backup amp, though it did start me on the road to using lighter gear for which I am eternally grateful!