Why become a member? ×

Do you guys ever get pee'd off with JUST being the bass player?

Highfox

I'd be gutted if I had to do any overdubs! :o

I've always prided myself in being able to get in, lay down the bass tracks and get out again. Part of that is that I find studios to be dull, stifling places and I want to be out as soon as possible; but it is also that I work on the bass parts beforehand so that I know exactly what to play, what tone to use, and so on.

How many guitarists do you know who do that? :lol:

Maybe the fact that the other guys are so keen to layer their parts reflects the quality of your rhythm track? Have you thought of it that way? :)

If there's no producer, then as the bass player, this is your job. You've already proved that as you're worried about leaving space in the mix.

Becoming the producer by stealth should be one of your natural talents, it's part of the bassist mentality.

Thanks guys for all the input.
Thinking about it over night, I guess it's because I'd really like to have more creative input and more of a say in things.
I think I will stand up and let them know how I feel and if they don't understand or accept it I'll move on and start my own project.

I love being the bass player I am not a gigging player but I just like everything about the bass and it just brings everything together...If you want to be a glory boy and steel the limelight play a guitar or sing upfront bass players are a bit like drummers they seem overlooked but the band would not work without them

I might have missed this... but what is the point of the recording..??

If an album to sell at gigs..then yes, consider embellishing it so it is something different from what people hear at gigs.
It really helps if you freshen up tracks like that and it is hard work to change things around if you play the same numbers
all the time.

We revise numbers or leave them out so long that when we come back to them...they sound different because
we aren't concerned how we used to do them or have even forgotten how... so we basically have to relearn them. Doesn't work well if the band plays by numbers though...

If the album is to get gigs, then I am not much a fan of a produced set of songs that bear no relation to how you will sound
live.
We keep recorded versions on our website to a minimum and only the originals are 'produced'..

Generally, I don't think it is a good idea to let people loose in a recording studio and certainly not left to their own devices..and certainly
not vain gtrs...

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1404290720' post='2491094']
I love being the bass player I am not a gigging player but I just like everything about the bass and it just brings everything together...If you want to be a glory boy and steel the limelight play a guitar or sing upfront bass players are a bit like drummers they seem overlooked but the band would not work without them
[/quote]
No Glory boy here! I have been playing bass in bands for the past 36 years so know what it's about :)
Creative input during recording and writing is a little different than looking for glory.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1404291360' post='2491101']
I might have missed this... but what is the point of the recording..??

If an album to sell at gigs..then yes, consider embellishing it so it is something different from what people hear at gigs.
It really helps if you freshen up tracks like that and it is hard work to change things around if you play the same numbers
all the time.

We revise numbers or leave them out so long that when we come back to them...they sound different because
we aren't concerned how we used to do them or have even forgotten how... so we basically have to relearn them. Doesn't work well if the band plays by numbers though...

If the album is to get gigs, then I am not much a fan of a produced set of songs that bear no relation to how you will sound
live.
We keep recorded versions on our website to a minimum and only the originals are 'produced'..

Generally, I don't think it is a good idea to let people loose in a recording studio and certainly not left to their own devices..and certainly
not vain gtrs...
[/quote]

Thanks, we get enough gigs and don't really need a lot more promo material. It's to catalogue the work we have done.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1404291385' post='2491102']
No Glory boy here! I have been playing bass in bands for the past 36 years so know what it's about :)
Creative input during recording and writing is a little different than looking for glory.
[/quote] I sorry I did not mean that you were a glory boy it was a generalisation :)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1404291569' post='2491105']
Thanks, we get enough gigs and don't really need a lot more promo material. It's to catalogue the work we have done.
[/quote]

A good live gig recording works for me best in this regard altho we have a studio booked for originals but the budget isn't the issue, it is time...
The bass and drums will be live within a band context and then they can come in and brush up their parts ... but only to re-do a solo maybe, or fine-tune BV's. I expect to be done in half a day and that suits me.

I get more satisfaction from a Zoom recording at a live gig when we are cooking, tbh

Only relating to the title of the thread, and not to the content of recording situations and overdubs:
Rather than pee'd off, I did get somewhat startled when a friend volunteered the notion that it was startling that someone like me would voluntarily choose JUST the bass as an instrument...
I still shake my head in disbelief three years later, but then again I do realise it just means he needs to hear more different music.

Guitars typically need overdubs because they are more 'forward' in a mix than bass parts, and so even minor mistakes get exaggerated.

It might also be because overdubs are needed to add to interest/dynamics to certain parts of the song, and that the need for these overdubs wasn't apparent until the first takes had been recorded. Same goes for percussion.

Bass generally requires fewer (if any) overdubs unless a) The bass is poorly played and out of time; or b ) The song is being revised while in the studio and a new bass part is needed to fit the new composition.

Getting your part down without the need for overdubs is - as a bass player - a GOOD THING :) If you want more involvement in the production then you need to spend time in the studio when the track is being mixed. These are two separate issues.

How much studio time/cost you spend to record each part of a song is something only you as a band can agree upon. Ultimately, it's the finished product that matters - the sum of the parts, more than the parts themselves. However, if you think you're spending too much time/money recording a certain part then it might be time to think 'is this necessary?' or perhaps even 'is this musician up to the task??'.

But that's for you to decide ;)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1404294804' post='2491165']
Only relating to the title of the thread...
[/quote]

On the home page the title reads, 'Do you guys ever get pee...', to which the answer is 'yes, I do'. OK then, moving on now...

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1404295066' post='2491166']
Bass generally requires fewer (if any) overdubs unless a) The bass is poorly played and out of time; or b ) The song is being revised while in the studio and a new bass part is needed to fit the new composition.

Getting your part down without the need for overdubs is - as a bass player - a GOOD THING :) If you want more involvement in the production then you need to spend time in the studio when the track is being mixed. These are two separate issues.
[/quote]

+2[color=#ffffff]M[/color]Yes, and yes. Good post. :)

Edited by discreet

One band i was in told me that when i left for a short period they realised on my return just exactly what the band was missing and they now understood what my style of bass playing brought to the band.

Point of that story is to highlight you are never "just the bass player".
Each member of a band brings to the forum their own descriptive style and therefore should warrant an equal share of viewpoint towards the end product.

Summary :- state your point of view. You've earned it. !!! Hope all works out ok and to your satisfaction.

PS I have given up with bands once again cause i cant be arsed with the band politics. Pity cause i enjoy playing in a good happy band. :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

All the best
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Thanks everyone.
I cleared the air a bit this morning,
spoke to the guitarist today and he said I'm welcome to come along and make suggestions at any point, he also said the extra guitar parts are there to just beef things up if need.
I made him aware that I'd like to have a say in the final sound and production stages.
Seems we might be batting for the same team after all.. He also complemented my bass playing and said that I bring my own sound to the band and that that won't be lost.
Lets see.. I'm a lot more confident today.
Thanks again to the caring bass chat members for letting me air my worries and insecurities.
I'll post up when we have the final product in the bag so to speak.

Edited by Highfox

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404252311' post='2490902']
Hee, hee. Just stick a hoover in a wardrobe, turn it on, and record that instead.
[/quote]
Good tip. Similarly, a slap bass solo can easily be replaced by simply recording a shopping trolley full of empty coke cans being pushed down a fire escape.