Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

12 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm just listening to the first Duran Duran album.  I got a cheap copy of the deluxe edition a while back and never listened to it until now.

It's really not aged that well and it pretty wretched.  Assuming they played everything on it, observations? Simon Le Bon can't sing for toffee and they probably would have sounded better without Nick Rhodes musical and background noise contribution. 

I've always liked the four singles off it but the other 5 cuts are a bit pants.  The next 3 singles, off Rio, are good too but after that point I don't care much for the rest for their output except Skin Trade and Ordinary World. Le Bon's not the greatest of singers but his voice sometimes works quite well.

Just discovered a new band. They're called Weather Report. Don't know anything about them but they're clearly fans of Vulfpeck.

Bassist is pretty good, not as precise as Joe Dart but sounds like he's using a fretless so probably going for a different feel.

The album is called Heavy Weather, a bit jazzy but don't let that put you off.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, stewblack said:

Just discovered a new band. They're called Weather Report. Don't know anything about them but they're clearly fans of Vulfpeck.

Bassist is pretty good, not as precise as Joe Dart but sounds like he's using a fretless so probably going for a different feel.

Not keen to be honest. They seem to put a bit to much emphasis on feel, and songs like 'a remark you made' rely too much on melody and emotion rather than trying to showcase their technical proficiency.  For goodness sake, they dont even have proper carpets on stage. I think I'll go burn my copy.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Not keen to be honest. They seem to put a bit to much emphasis on feel, and songs like 'a remark you made' rely too much on melody and emotion rather than trying to showcase their technical proficiency.  For goodness sake, they dont even have proper carpets on stage. I think I'll go burn my copy.

Little bit extreme, but each to their own. I've only listened to a couple of tunes, and they sounded ok 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stewblack said:

I just checked out one of their videos. It's a weak rip off of Vulfpeck. They haven't even got the facial expressions which are so important to tone. They definitely owe Vulfpeck reparations for ripping off their sound.

Been watching this a lot over the weekend.

I’m a fan of the track in any event but this version blows me away for a number of reasons, not least Rachel Flowers contribution (worth mentioning that she lost her eyesight at a very young age and has gone on to master the guitar and piano/keys - even if you’re not a fan of ELP fan it’s certainly worth checking out her take on Keith Emerson’s parts/playing).

Her guitar back and forth with Dweezil is excellent, but the real standout is her take on the mid-song vocal part (originally done by the Ikettes, and went right over the head of a perplexed Ike Turner when he first heard it!).

Anyways, if songs about dental floss are your thing then this may be for you… 

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 1

Laura Marling - I been listened to 4 of her albums as I've never really got into her but always recognised the quality of her musical DNA - at times I heard Joni Mitchell, Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen, Dylan, even Paul Simon, Lou Reed/Velvets - she's an interesting song writer - uses a lot of alternative tunings and and even though she has a great voice sometimes  I've found her songs to lack strong memorable hooks - there is a lot melody changes and it's all very interesting if you are playing these songs as a guitarist but I never found it quite so interesting to listen to - however - I have now seen the light - her album Song for Our Daughter as a really strong collection  - it's taken a few listens to really appreciate it - I think it's her best album of what I know.

Edited by lemonstar
  • Like 3

This morning I'm listening to Om. I forgot how good they are. If you've never heard of them, have a listen. Very psychedelic bass lead music. They get classed as metal but they're nothing like any other metal band. 

I think Al Cisneros deserves more recognition as a really great bassist. 

• Like 2