Why become a member? ×

Anyone set their action really low?

Angel

I remember reading once that Billy Sheehan set his action so low that the strings rattle on the frets. Having got back into bass recently, I thought I'd try a different setup, so I went really low on the strings. Yes, they do rattle but I am really liking it so far!

Not for everyone I guess (for various reasons), but does anyone else have a very low action?

Not me. I am quite heavy-handed so I need to give the strings room to breathe... ;)

That's not to say that I set my action deliberately [b][i]high[/i][/b], just not so low that the strings rattle and buzz against the frets.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Angel' timestamp='1396447725' post='2413763']
I remember reading once that Billy Sheehan set his action so low that the strings rattle on the frets.
[/quote]

Not true. I played one of Billys basses at a clinic he did back in the mid 90's & I was amazed at how high the action was compared to most basses I've played. It wasn't unplayable by any means but 90% of people on here would think it needed a good set up.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1396448911' post='2413789']
Not true. I played one of Billys basses at a clinic he did back in the mid 90's & I was amazed at how high the action was compared to most basses I've played. It wasn't unplayable by any means but 90% of people on here would think it needed a good set up.
[/quote]

I think that must be a one off bass, if you look on the internet generally he definitely has fret rattle.

[quote name='Angel' timestamp='1396450968' post='2413821']
I think that must be a one off bass, if you look on the internet generally he definitely has fret rattle.
[/quote]

He seems to think so anyway, and you'd think he'd know! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VjmTQv_KOA

I used to be fairly low, but have raised it over the years as fingers have strengthened etc. Still, I generally have a lower set up than the average bass I will try in a shop, but I think that is more to do with having basses set up properly rather than having a preference for low action.

[quote name='Angel' timestamp='1396450968' post='2413821']
[/quote]

Yes and no. RhysP is (generally) right here. (Warning: Queue fan boy here) The Attitude X manual stated his prefered set up string heights. And having met him and played one of his newer basses, he had it notably above where I do, I have my 4 strings middle low, it's lower than my bands guitarists action, and on my 6 string I have it just above as low as it can go, that said, I pluck pretty hard and hammer the strings if I get carried away live, so that's maybe middle low on the "super low to super high" spectrum as I like minimal/zero noise to maximise core tone. Feeling the difference is nice as it's just really smooth! Makes going back to my Attitude a little bit of a workout as I play the 6/7 string basses 90% of the time these days!

He talks about his set up quite a lot on the facebook group and did a video about it from the Yamaha Attitude event day (IIRC, and filmed by the incredible Jon Willis who built the Wife replica featured on No Treble), and it's certainly not part of his tone unlike Entwistle or Chris Squire.

I think John Entwistle's Status Buzzards have/had the lowest action of any basses I've ever seen. I believe Wolverine on here used to have one and agreed with this a while back.

Billy having super low rattly action is a common misconception tagged to him due to his monster playing, but with hands as strong as his he doesn't need it, his main bass for years and years the famous "Wife" modded fender P has action on the middle high side, which is likely why it became his preference. He plucks with quite a lot of force in a very firm and clean fashion, and it wouldn't work with super low action as it would get noisy. You do hear in videos in his home on his basses at home that there is slight 'fret grind' on like the low E and Low D but on tour most definitely higher tha usual, and little to no fret rattle along the board. His studio and home set up is lower for ease of playing but his action gets higher the longer into a tour he gets as he really thrashes the bass live.

End massive fan boy moment...

Would you believe I've not played my Attitude or listened to any Vai/Mr Big in months till today?! True I swear sir...

Edited by AttitudeCastle

Low enough that the strings choke unless standing upright. If I am in a comfy slouching positon on the sofa, the bass can be unplayable.
I have a very light touch on the bass so no stress through the hands or playing..that is the idea.
The upside is that the action is fast, the downside is that I need a lot of amp as most players get waaay more volume out of a bass than I do.
Some like finesse, some like grunt and grind, but my sound doesn't need cleaning up..it is simple to get down into mixers and desks.

Low for me...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1396457293' post='2413928']
To me, if a bass buzzes or rattles, it needs a better setup or better player technique.
[/quote]

this.

my set up is ultra low, but no fret buzz, even on my basses without a ramp.

i dig in too on occasion.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1396482379' post='2414287']

I think John Entwistle's Status Buzzards have/had the lowest action of any basses I've ever seen. I believe Wolverine on here used to have one and agreed with this a while back.

[/quote]

I still have the buzzard. You can get the action supernaturally low on them. Almost beyond anything you can imagine being possible and mine is about 0.5mm at the 12th fret. I do play very lightly though. It makes it so stupidly easy to play that after a week of playing something that you can't do that with like my 12, the it feels like you're playing a toy...