Why become a member? ×

Where Does G.A.S. Come From?

Bloc Riff Nut

Earlier this week I had an attack of G.A.S.
I couldn't stop myself searching the Amps For Sale section. I ended up buying one, and now I'm feeling much better.
Does Gear Acquisition Syndrome only refer to musical gear, or is it applied to other interests/hobbies? The abbreviation itself sounds quite young, I wonder how old it is.
Anyway, I'm just glad its over.

I'm off to put my old amp up for sale :D[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size]

I believed its common to most hobbies. I used to think my camera was limiting me but now I know I don't use it's full capabilities , it's also true though that some cameras are easier to achieve good results from than others

I've recently been reading about the activity of collecting (which is mentioned in the book 'A Field Guide to Melancholy' and it can be connected to existential anxiety) and I recognise the symptoms in myself (music collection, books, and now basses... ). Here are a couple more comments:

[i]Kim A. Herzinger, an English professor, award-winning author and avid collector, provides yet another twist on obsession with collecting.

"Collecting is a means by which one relieves a basic sense of incompletion brought on by unfulfilled childhood needs,” Herzinger said. “It functions as a form of wish fulfillment, which eases deep-rooted uncertainties and existential dread.”

Psychologist Werner Muensterberger shares Herzinger’s idea. In his book titled “Collecting: An Unruly Passion: Psychological Perspectives,” Muensterberger says that control of the object collected brings “relief of the child’s anxiety and frustration that comes with feeling helpless and being alone.”[/i]

from http://www.horizonlines.org/volume4/about/why/

Now I'm not saying that all of us 'suffering' with GAS do so because of the same reasons or that we should worry that we enjoy looking for and buying equipment but I would argue that the introduction of something new (to us) does inject fresh energy into the activity and a great deal of personal taste is involved in finding instruments and amps that offer the sound and playability that assist us in expressing ourselves, hence the familiar (and for some, seemingly never-ending) search for that 'perfect' bass and rig...

Either that, or just rampant consumerism.

Companies make stuff and then need to sell it for them to (hopefully) make a profit and continue to make more stuff.
Consumers need to purchase stuff made by said companies, but if their old stuff still works or they can't afford new stuff, then the old stuff will have to make do until such a time as they can afford to buy more stuff.
Companies therefore employ Advertisers and Promoters to give their stuff a higher profile, and thus generate a "demand" for their stuff, so that they can sell more stuff and turn a profit. The more stuff you sell, the more profit you make, therefore the more profit you make, the more stuff you can make, therefore the increased need to advertise and promote new stuff as being "better" than the old stuff, therefore appealing to the Consumer's supposed "need" to acquire new stuff, because it's better than the old stuff.

Unfortunately, in the meantime, the old stuff that's been sold on to Consumer's who have less disposable income, but who still have the desire to own stuff, has now acquired "Vintage" status, and is now desired more highly than the new stuff, therefore driving up demand and therefore price. The Companies see this and decide to make and sell new stuff that is made to the same (or similar) specification to the old stuff, and can therefore charge a premium for it. Then they get some blokes in a workshop to knock the new stuff around for a bit, and then sell the new stuff as "Aged" stuff, and charge even more for it...

Edited by Skybone

I think GAS when connected to a 2nd hand market that almost allows you to rent whatever bass or amp you desire is fine

Its only when buying new that we should be aware that it is going to be unrecoverable money spent , and the any rash purchase is like throwing money away, meaning your GAS is out of control

This may seem obvious and a form of excuse, but, good grief, some gear just LOOKS mighty fine and you want it because you want to look at it with pride and joy.

Other than that, GAS comes from compensation of unfulfilled needs and/or lack of actual practice, like many wise Basschaters above mentioned.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1395793405' post='2406504']
It's a way to avoid actually buckling down and learning stuff... :(
[/quote]
[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1395794920' post='2406518']
True, generally it means you're in a rut with your playing
[/quote]
[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1395816724' post='2406561']
People usually buy stuff irrationally because they think it will make them happier. It does, temporarily, which is why they keep doing it.
[/quote]
[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1395844925' post='2407036']
GAS mostly comes from not playing enough with the gear you already have.
[/quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]All of these. I recently heard a guy play a cheap Squire through a Markbass 1X12 combo with no P.A. support and his tone sounded fabulous. We spoke after the gig and he told me he had been playing with the same gear for over 10 years and had no intention of spending money any time soon on equipment. He reckoned that the gear he had was as good as he needed, and after hearing him I had no hesitation in agreeing.[/font][/color]

When I was in a band, I hardly bought anything and was happy with my sound.

Now I'm not, I'm still happy with my sound, but because I have some disposable income, I buy and sell a lot of (mainly used) gear. Everything can be sold on again, and if I end up making a loss I just see it as a rental fee in return for me getting to play with new toys all the time!

I want to join another band sometime this year, but I don't really have the time, I'm too busy messing around with different basses/amps/pedals! :D

Sheryl Crow even sang about it :lol:

I don't have digital
I don't have diddly squat
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got

[url="http://youtu.be/KIYiGA_rIls"]http://youtu.be/KIYiGA_rIls[/url]

however......

you can tell by his equipment that this young man has some serious GAS issues :)

[url="http://youtu.be/rNzt3uNEVxU"]http://youtu.be/rNzt3uNEVxU[/url]

I have GAS a lot ! I find that I spend too much time looking at the inter web and thinking I need this or that instead of playing the stuff I already own! Its fun but financially crippling! :(