Why become a member? ×

Music you grew up with.?

bubinga5

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394397434' post='2391028']

I bet the total is far more than that. For the vast majority music just isn't that important.
[/quote]

Yep, I think that's true. The main obstacle any of us will face as musicians is sheer indifference. That's what we're all fighting...except bands like Coldplay and U2 who everyone loves without reservation, of course.

There's an interesting difference between growing up in the 50s/60s and growing up in the 80s/90s. I liked a lot of the music my parents liked, but they liked almost none of the music I discovered for myself. However, my kids like most of "my" music and I like most of theirs. In fact I rely on them to find me new stuff to listen to. We disagree over Frank Zappa (mine) and Korn (theirs).

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1394392388' post='2390974']
That's at least 70 million people who 'don't like music' then.

[i]According to the British Hit Singles & Albums book, he has reportedly sold in excess of seventy million albums worldwide[sup].[/sup][/i]

[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Last#cite_note-British_Hit_Singles_.26_Albums-1"]http://en.wikipedia....es_.26_Albums-1[/url][/sup]
[/quote]

I didn't realise that his sales were restricted to one album per person ...

;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1394392388' post='2390974']

That's at least 70 million people who 'don't like music' then.

[i]According to the British Hit Singles & Albums book, he has reportedly sold in excess of seventy million albums worldwide[sup].[/sup][/i]

[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Last#cite_note-British_Hit_Singles_.26_Albums-1"]http://en.wikipedia....es_.26_Albums-1[/url][/sup]
[/quote]

To be fair, he's released fifty one odd albums, so could it could be just 1.37 million hardcore fans ;-)

Edit: same wavelength as HJ

Edited by Roland Rock

My Mum was a very good pianist and could play just about anything by ear. I can still remember her playing 'Mack the Knife' and 'Feeling Groovy'.She died young. I remember being dragged to see 'The Sound of Music' repeatedly. She wanted myself and my siblings to become the Von Trapps (bless her!). I was mostly a small terrorist with catapault! My Dad didn't have a single ounce of creativity but I'm sure my Mum would love the fact that I've been involved in music for many years

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1394443852' post='2391273']
To be fair, he's released fifty one odd albums, so could it could be just 1.37 million hardcore fans ;-)

Edit: same wavelength as HJ
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fair point . . . or it could just be half a dozen really obsessive fans!

Alternatively, it means 5,930,000,001 (ish) people don't have a James last album. That '1' is me.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1394398739' post='2391050']
The main obstacle any of us will face as musicians is sheer indifference. That's what we're all fighting...except bands like Coldplay and U2 who everyone loves without reservation, of course.
[/quote]

Sadly, I think there's a lot of truth in that. We can spend a huge portion of our lives learning to play, writing songs, agonising over the words and music, getting the sound just right, recording take after take, listening to mix after mix, rehearsing for gigs until we finally play it to an audience for 4 minutes and their response is 'yeah, nice song' before wandering off to the bar for another drink. The following morning (or week if we're lucky) they've forgotten the song and have moved on to some other band. Even bands that do build a following can only number their real hardcore fans in the tens, maybe hundreds. Of course, there are some bands that break through and become the next Coldplay or U2, but the triangle of success has incredibly wide base and the internet has only made that base even wider. Music is a wonderful hobby but it's a bloody tough business.

Just a thought but a lot of us of a certain vintage will remember the days when not only did we have just three channels on TV, they didn't actually start broadcasting until 4 pm. What this meant, apart from anything esle, was that the RADIO was on in the morning and afternoon and that the radio itself had, if I am not mistakem NO COMMERCIAL stations (Radio 1, 2, 3 and 4 and then some obscure things like Radio Luxemborg that you could only get if the wind was blowing in the right direction and next door didn't have washing on the line)!! As a result of this, our collective experience of music was generally pretty universal. Everyone of my age remembers Sparky's Magic Piano because everyone listened to Junior Choice!!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1394300258' post='2390086']
So nobody listened to Mud, Bay City Rollers or David Cassidy...
[/quote]
Not me -before my time. Mother liked abba but we didn't have a stereo, just a radio that I couldn't reach and it was always stuck on radio 4. I grew up in a remote part of the middle of nowhere

Eventually I saved up some money and bought a small portable radio and listened to talking heads, U2, simple minds and Duran Duran.

Watching live aid in 1985 was formative though as watching Bono go off into the crowd made me realise music wasn't set in stone once recorded (I had only ever heard it on the radio remember) and could be adapted on the hoof.

Edited by Geek99

I grew up with my parents playing Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen...
My sister listened to a lot of punk and goth stuff when I was in my early teens.

Pivotal moments in my musical upbringing:
1976: My dad sitting 3 1/2 year old me down and playing Wish You Were Here at me. Mainly for Welcome To The Machine
Once that album finished he put on Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath.
Early 1978 - Kate Bush on Top of the Pops.
Christmas 1978 - my uncle played Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds to me.
Early 80s - sister played Holiday In Cambodia to me, heard Iron Maiden for the first time
Mid 80s - heard Minor Threat and Metallica for the first time

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1394449976' post='2391356']Everyone of my age remembers Sparky's Magic Piano because everyone listened to Junior Choice!![/quote]

Every Xmas season they have Ed "Stewpot" Stewart back in for a one-off show and apparently "Sparky's Magic Piano" is the most requested track every year. I got my nostalgia fix!

My folks weren't that big on music despite the fact my dad was a passable ''pub piano'' player. I do recall a lot of those 'Top Of The Pops' and 'Hot Hits' albums knocking about, no wonder I ended up in covers bands ;) On the whole my musical education was much more influenced by my older brother and I didn't get into music in a big way until I was mid teens. Before that it was what was on the radio and the occasional single I'd pick up on a whim.

[URL=http://s30.photobucket.com/user/KevB64/media/22HotHits11_zps67a766f1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/KevB64/22HotHits11_zps67a766f1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by KevB

My father listened to classical music. My mother had an eclectic selection of albums, the one I remember being an album by Mahalia Jackson.

The first time I remember seeing a song on television and liking it, was Suzi Quatro performing 'Devil's Gate Drive'.

My main musical influences were my older brothers, from whom I gained an appreciation of Frank Zappa and many other artists. I remember at 10 or 11 years old transcribing the lyrics/dialogue of 'Billy the Mountain'. In those days I didn't know what a 'Lesbian Queen' was.

Later on I discovered The Beatles, even though this was after they split up. I had been watching reruns of The Monkees on TV, and from articles in New Zealand's "The Listener", was aware that there was a link from The Monkees to The Beatles, and watched Help! and A Hard Day's Night when they were on television. However, the first record I bought was 'DW Washburn' by The Monkees, for five cents at a flea market.

I also supported a lot of local bands. I remember concerts by Citizen Band, Schtung, Dragon, Hello Sailor, and others. Festivals including Nambassa and Sweetwaters. I bought all the Split Enz albums on release after Dizrhytmia, bought that one second hand but was aware of the release and saw the clip for 'My Mistake' when it came out. BTW: For those who know Crowded House, I believe that this was a teenage Neil Finn's first proper appearance on TV.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AKQ2H4QW9M[/media]

I'd like to say that the first ever albums I bought were 'right first time'. The second album I ever bought was The Beatles: Help, the third was Frank Zappa's Zoot Allures. But sadly the first album I ever bought was The Best of Abba. Oh dear. But, the picture on the back of Agnetha Faltskog wearing a very short dress was actually part of growing up as well, in a way.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Lot of nostalgia going on here. When I was growing up you had to be a real enthusiast to get into music. I remember my Sister would record the Top 40 every week with a piddly mic in front of her transistor radio (and go beserk if anybody made any noise) - that was how difficult it was to hear the music you liked. Sitting through hours of dross on Old Grey Whistle Test before VCRs had been invented to try to find the odd gem. I'll never forget seeing The Police on OGWT! Couldn't believe they were white!

There's some great posts here.
The fortunate and enlightened of us realise that music is more than just pleasant sounds in a repeated pattern.
I posted way-back on page 1 that my parents were 1940's dance band fans, and that's what I heard as a kid and saw them dancing round the living room.
For my mum it made her think of the lads she'd danced with who never came back. For my dad it was a memory of the chances he'd had to let his hair down; like the liberation of Brussels (which he always got misty eyed about, what a party that was).
So, from an early age I saw that music made people laugh and cry and triggered off fantastic yarns.
All that set me on the musical path to where I am now; no money, an over-fondness for alcohol and a chronic bad back. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1394490097' post='2391981']
My folks weren't that big on music despite the fact my dad was a passable ''pub piano'' player. I do recall a lot of those 'Top Of The Pops' and 'Hot Hits' albums knocking about, no wonder I ended up in covers bands ;) On the whole my musical education was much more influenced by my older brother and I didn't get into music in a big way until I was mid teens. Before that it was what was on the radio and the occasional single I'd pick up on a whim.

[url="http://s30.photobucket.com/user/KevB64/media/22HotHits11_zps67a766f1.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

That just brings back those great budget labels, Music For Pleasure and Pye Golden Guinea.

And samplers. "The Rock Machine Turns You On". And I had an Island one, can't remember what was on it, other than a Jethro Tull track off Stand Up and possibly I Am the Walrus by Spooky Tooth. You'd never get stuff like that on "The Most Tedious Rock Album in the World Ever 46".