Why become a member? ×

Wilko Johnson

Bassmonkey

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1393789762' post='2384405']
Well not really because the energy goes, the pace lessens and the anger fades. It becomes a reminisce rather than a meaning. This really only applies in the 'rock' world of course. The travelling wilburys where the epitome of everything I dislike about the 'going back to your roots' thing. Horrid stuff. You can see in fast paced angry groups later works - they mellow as is expected then when they do the early stuff its at the same pace as the later. Doesnt work
[/quote] The energy changes - it doesn't go. In the case of someone like Roger Daltrey - worldwide mega star - seen it . done it . had a flunky buy the T shirt for him , I imagine the opportunity to get on stage and just rock out is an absolute breath of fresh air to him. That's where energy comes from. I have slice of this sometimes. We walk in a strange venue and the eyebrows go up. They see a bunch of grey hairs and think they'll be getting a clapped out lounge act. When they're pinned against the back wall by a wave of aggression and attitude they change their tune. We get the young bloods in for a gloat - they usually leave thinking 'for fcuk's sake how do we top that ?' Easy - they don't ! Folk do what they want , for as long as they want. If they want to change - fine. If not , what's wrong with playing the material you're proud of , that made your name , to punters who want to hear you do it. Sorry , mate , but I look around me and see many of my pals getting older ( in mind and in body) by the day. They all seem to have one thing in common - that's a mind set closer to yours than mine. The young bull and the old bull spotted a field of cows in the distance. The young bull said 'let's charge down there and shag a few'. The old bull said 'No - let's stroll over and shag the lot'.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1393927376' post='2385805']
The energy changes - it doesn't go. In the case of someone like Roger Daltrey - worldwide mega star - seen it . done it . had a flunky buy the T shirt for him , I imagine the opportunity to get on stage and just rock out is an absolute breath of fresh air to him. That's where energy comes from. I have slice of this sometimes. We walk in a strange venue and the eyebrows go up. They see a bunch of grey hairs and think they'll be getting a clapped out lounge act. When they're pinned against the back wall by a wave of aggression and attitude they change their tune. We get the young bloods in for a gloat - they usually leave thinking 'for fcuk's sake how do we top that ?' Easy - they don't ! Folk do what they want , for as long as they want. If they want to change - fine. If not , what's wrong with playing the material you're proud of , that made your name , to punters who want to hear you do it. Sorry , mate , but I look around me and see many of my pals getting older ( in mind and in body) by the day. They all seem to have one thing in common - that's a mind set closer to yours than mine. The young bull and the old bull spotted a field of cows in the distance. The young bull said 'let's charge down there and shag a few'. The old bull said 'No - let's stroll over and shag the lot'.
[/quote]fantastic

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1393927376' post='2385805']
The energy changes - it doesn't go. In the case of someone like Roger Daltrey - worldwide mega star - seen it . done it . had a flunky buy the T shirt for him , I imagine the opportunity to get on stage and just rock out is an absolute breath of fresh air to him. That's where energy comes from. I have slice of this sometimes. We walk in a strange venue and the eyebrows go up. They see a bunch of grey hairs and think they'll be getting a clapped out lounge act. When they're pinned against the back wall by a wave of aggression and attitude they change their tune. We get the young bloods in for a gloat - they usually leave thinking 'for fcuk's sake how do we top that ?' Easy - they don't ! Folk do what they want , for as long as they want. If they want to change - fine. If not , what's wrong with playing the material you're proud of , that made your name , to punters who want to hear you do it. Sorry , mate , but I look around me and see many of my pals getting older ( in mind and in body) by the day. They all seem to have one thing in common - that's a mind set closer to yours than mine. The young bull and the old bull spotted a field of cows in the distance. The young bull said 'let's charge down there and shag a few'. The old bull said 'No - let's stroll over and shag the lot'.
[/quote]

Well said DD, totally get that, and that`s why Wilko, NWR and Roger Daltrey are still revered for their energy and performance.

We recently did a gig with a young band. After the soundcheck one of them came up and said "that was so aggressive". Our singers reply was that whilst the young may think they have the monopoly on being p*ssed off and angry, wait another 20 years until you`re still p*ssed off and angry about those same things, but now you ache most of the time and bits of you are falling off/out, then you`ll understand p*ssed off and angry a whole lot better.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1399714297' post='2446862']
Not sure if this has been linked elsewhere but I just read this:

[url="http://www.iguitarmag.com/news/2014/05/wilko-johnson-undergoes-cancer-surgery/"]http://www.iguitarma...cancer-surgery/[/url]
[/quote]

I used to work for Hollister (not the clothing company)...we were (and they probably still are) world leaders in colostomy/stoma care. If the surgery has resulted in removal of his small and large intestines, he's going to end up with an illeostomy, dependent on where the surgery terminated the small intestine. It's a pretty unpleasant thing to live with and he'll need to wear an illestomy pouch for the rest of his life, but if there's a silver lining, he'll be alive, which let's face it, is better than being in the ground.

Hope we see him up and about soon.
P

Wilko is an old guy, not in the best of shape and has just been through major, major surgery that would be a huge kick to anyone's system, so I'm not surprised to hear that snippet of news. The key thing will be how he recovers in the coming weeks.

My father was in his mid-70s when he had a kidney removed. He's a really fit guy ( puts me to shame) and has been a serious runner all his life (sub 3 hour marathons and the like) and still runs today, though not marathons! Even so, the surgery really took it out of him and it was a real shock to see him in the days afterwards and it took a couple of months to fully recover. But today, you'd never know the difference and he's back to his regular 3 to 5 mile runs as he turns 80.

Wilko's op would hit anyone for six and he may just need more time to recover. I really hope that's all it is.

They were optimistic on his Facebookpage yesterday:

[quote]WILKO LATEST - OFFICIAL STATEMENT:

Doctors caring for Wilko at Addenbrooke's Hospital have said they are extremely pleased with the way he has recovered post op despite the magnitude and complexity of his nine hour operation.

Wilko has been complication free so far and has made what they describe as 'rapid progress'. Although still early days in his recovery, doctors are very encouraged by the extent of his progress.

As always, Wilko, his family and friends thank everyone for their well wishes and support at this time.[/quote]

• 4 weeks later...

Posted yesterday on Wilko's FB Page:

[quote]
[b]Wilko 'Goes Back Home'![/b]

[size=4]We're sure you will be as delighted as we are that after making excellent progress at Addenbrooke's over the last few weeks, Wilko is now convalescing back at his home.[/size]

[size=4]Naturally after such an extensive procedure, Wilko is extremely tired, and it will take him some time to recuperate, so he asks that you respect his privacy, but we had to share this incredibly positive news.[/size]

[size=4]On behalf of Wilko and his family, another huge thank you for your magnificent support over recent months - it really means a great deal to Wilko - and please join us in thanking the staff at Addenbrooke's for everything they have achieved in some extremely difficult circumstances. [/size]
[/quote]

• 1 month later...

The Man Of Steel is up and about!

From [url="https://www.facebook.com/WilkoJohnsonBand"]Wilko's Facebook page[/url]:

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]13th July: Lovely photo from yesterday's Village Green Festival, where Wilko enjoyed a very special birthday watching son Simon play guitar with Eight Rounds Rapid. After Wilko left, the crowd sang a rousing 'Happy Birthday To You'.[/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][/font]

Edited by skankdelvar

• 3 months later...

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1413999932' post='2584710']
My Dad died from the same kind of cancer last year, I really really hope Wilko can now put this in the past, my Dad had similar op but wasn't successful, would be soooo great to have someone beat this poxy nasty condition. Bit emotional, sorry.
[/quote]
I was typing as you posted, it goes without saying I dont think 'your' post is brilliant :(

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1413999932' post='2584710']
My Dad died from the same kind of cancer last year, I really really hope Wilko can now put this in the past, my Dad had similar op but wasn't successful, would be soooo great to have someone beat this poxy nasty condition. Bit emotional, sorry.
[/quote]
Every right to be - its 20 years for me with my dad and still hate to hear about it. Great to hear Wilko's news though!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1414000101' post='2584713']

I was typing as you posted, it goes without saying I dont think 'your' post is brilliant :(
[/quote]
Thanks, kind of you to say,
I wonder how many wonderful misunderstandings have happened due to multi people posting at the same time over the years?!?! Cheers, will raise a toast to good health of all fellow musos tonight!!