Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The BRITs 2014

xilddx

I'm usually on here defending the BRITs against those who say pop music is sh*t, but I'll be the first to admit that tonight is depressing. Appalling production from ITV, James Cordon comes over as a massive prick, and even Beyonce couldn't lift it, what a boring song and performance. Looking forward to seeing Ellie Goulding and if she can be the diamond in the dogshit.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1392845624' post='2373540']
Ellie Gouding?

Sing properly, pet. The silly voice just sounds daft.
[/quote]

Hey man, she has a beautiful voice. Can't say I enjoyed that performance though, it's like ITV stuck a mic in the middle of the room to record it. Crap.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1392847811' post='2373578']
So why did she hide it under that hopeless affectation?

Genuine question. I don't really know any of her stuff - she might not always sing like that.
[/quote]To be fair that's what i always thought, not that i've heard too much. i heard her speak on X factor, kinda posh-ish middle class then started singing with a mockney twang. Although she's so hot right now (affects Mugatu twang)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1392851971' post='2373634']
Just read on the BBC website that Bowie won best male artist. I have no particular problem with that but it must say something about the state of our young talent at the moment. Guess he's not too popular in Scotland right now though. :lol:
[/quote]

He's spent even less time in the UK than Sean Connery. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1392847811' post='2373578']
So why did she hide it under that hopeless affectation?

Genuine question. I don't really know any of her stuff - she might not always sing like that.
[/quote]

She sings that way mate. That's her voice. Most singers use affectation.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1392851971' post='2373634']
Just read on the BBC website that Bowie won best male artist. I have no particular problem with that but it must say something about the state of our young talent at the moment. Guess he's not too popular in Scotland right now though. :lol:
[/quote]

Well, he's not got a great record when it comes to political pronouncements, considering some of the things he said in the 70's...

Have completely avoided watching the Brits in recent years; James Corden is a moron, the program drags on way too long (or is just boring) & the whole thing with surprise about winning is a farce, the labels all know who has won what weeks in advance - the party is just their excuse to get drunk with their mates & bask in their own success (assuming you count about 15 years of decline whilst still earning money a success). Then they have the audacity to charge people to get in to watch!

It's certainly not for me any more, though at least in the past they did have some good music & performances.

just to see what everybody is bleating on about having not watched the brits i decided to search it on youtube

i made it to 1:40

tis one thing to sing with such style (or affectation if you prefer) but regardless of her unique err style, her delivery comes across as weak and lame possibly overawed by the occasions and the expectation to deliver imho ymmv mcton etc etc

as an aside. not being one to personally dabble in the vocal arts these days, does a vocal style like that present issues with autotune?

[url="http://youtu.be/jXaEzy5VwDc"]http://youtu.be/jXaEzy5VwDc[/url]