Why become a member? ×

Opinions on talking to audience between songs

bonzodog

If the audience are up and dancing and the next song is another one for dancing, just play the next one.

Never have dead air.

Well, that's my theory anyway. It doesn't always work.

In one band I'm in, the singer has yet to fully find his feet over the audience chat (he's getting better) but the others never seem to quite grasp the concept of getting the next number started ASAP so there's a bit of a pause while they remember who actually starts the song.

The other band has Mrs Zero singing, who can talk the hind leg off a donkey, and the rest of the band have a reasonable grasp of starting songs, so it all works pretty well.

The other rules:

Never ask if there are any birthdays in the room
Never ask if anyone in the audience would like to sing a song
Never ask for requests (especially not if the line you use is "Any requests? We've had one, but we're staying")

If you have a singer that does that, is permanently pissed, and randomly rearranges songs in the middle of them, you're playing in Martin's band. Never mind.

[quote name='MaGrOtTeN' timestamp='1392125338' post='2364987']
[i]COULD[/i] being the operative word :)
I was at that RHCP gig... they aren't a very serious band so it works nicely.
[/quote]
So you should remember that Flea actually DID a weather talk :)

Most of my gigs have been in pubs and clubs....not talking is not usually an option in this type of environment....particularly in this part of the world.

As with all things however there is no universal right or wrong...it's entirely situational.

Best advice I can give is to be yourself....natural and unscripted. Treat it as you would if you wanted to successfully chat up a member of the opposite sex who you really liked....no corny one liners or embarrassing contrived drivel (however I realise that some do find this a path to success in the dating game).

Our singer is not the best at this, but he's not the worst either, I could definitely do without the "Are there any _______ Fans in? It's a guaranteed flat moment, if there's no response, and the sign of a nutter in the audience if there is. I quite enjoy using my BV mic to heckle the singer at times, but I don't do it that much as I'm not that quick to come up with new lines all of the time

The guitarists could also be a lot more "pro" about being ready for the next song too

Depends on the type of band and venue...
Fact is, only a small number of musicians are any good at the on stage patter (despite what they may think), so I'd advise - keep it to an absolute minimum.
IMV 3 or 4 numbers virtually segued (no patter) is the most professional approach. Thereafter, maybe a couple of lines of light-hearted,worked out patter, so the band can take a sip of water and adjust tuning etc.
If you have to rely on spiel to make the audience feel 'included', then you've got other problems.
However, if you're a fun, covers, function type band, then scrub the above, but even then...keep it short!

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1392127476' post='2365039'] The guitarists could also be a lot more "pro" about being ready for the next song too [/quote]
We've sort of improved this be keeping the same 2 songs together in the set, then he knows what the next one is without looking at the set list, like we always follow London's Calling with Should I Stay or Should I go.

I play in several bands and it varies from band to band and venue.

In the folk band there is a lot of interaction with the audience, it's expected and, with our regular followers, the interaction between band members and audience is part of the show.

In the functions band, playing in a pub - yes, it's another way of getting audience participation and people are specifically there to see us.

If we're playing a function, that changes.
We're there to play dance music, not to steal the show from whatever function it is.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1392122258' post='2364915']
If the whole band is funny and bounce well off each other then you're on a winner.
[/quote]

^ This.

In my current line up of bands I consider myself to be really fortunate.
We've never argued or fallen out and we've all become really good friends as opposed to a bunch of guys who only meet up to play.
The danger with that is often that friendship can impede development, but with 150 years of playing time behind us, I think we're pretty much where we're going to get to. :)

We all have a bit of a 'reputation' as far as humour is concerned and that really shines through.

We always get repeat bookings... if only to apologise for the previous gig. :D

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1392126409' post='2365017']
....As with all things however there is no universal right or wrong...it's entirely situational....
[/quote]

I'd say that no matter what gig or venue you're playing, there [i]are[/i] universal wrongs; the main one being breaking up the flow of the set.

The set is an entity. The numbers should flow through the set and so should the bits inbetween. Anything that disrupts that flow should be changed, improved or removed.

Have always thought first 2-3 cover songs and then a brief comment depending on crowd.
Occasional thanks if audinece is enjoying it and showing it in some way is always nice and goes down well.
Dont think jokes are suitable but again depends on audience you are playing to.
My audience has always been rock fans and they dont generally want to hear a lot of drivel between songs.
My pet hate is too much talking between every song.
If you have a crowd up dancing you want to keep the momentum and therefore go straight into next song and keep women on the dance floor as much as possible.
Where you have women dancing will always attract male crowd therefore everybody wins :lol:

Dave

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1392134087' post='2365146']
I'd say that no matter what gig or venue you're playing, there [i]are[/i] universal wrongs; the main one being breaking up the flow of the set.

The set is an entity. The numbers should flow through the set and so should the bits inbetween. Anything that disrupts that flow should be changed, improved or removed.
[/quote]
........it's situational.

I don't think there is a rule other than be yourself. If you are a happy upbeat guy, playing it moody and cool looks forced. Equally if you are a miserable social outcast there is little point working the crowd. Work to the strengths of the person fronting the band.

Personally I rarely like it when you get the comedian onstage shouting out quips from behind the drum kit / other instrument. The odd one liner is passable but I don't think fronting a band should look like a committee.

Totally depends on the character of the singer. I`ve seen bands where the singer sings, but another band member is the one that interacts with the audience. Personally I like there to be a bit of banter but as others have said, it has to be natural. That said I don`t like endless chatter, and do like bands who go straight from one song into another. Though max times to do that, imo, is for three songs.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1392156324' post='2365527']
We often used to play our entire set without stopping, no breaks and no chat
[/quote]

This I like, have been in several bands with no chat and it always works well pacing-wise.
Lately we've been adapting one or two intros so that the singer can make comments, but without stopping the flow of the set.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1392156492' post='2365529']
This I like, have been in several bands with no chat and it always works well pacing-wise.
Lately we've been adapting one or two intros so that the singer can make comments, but without stopping the flow of the set.
[/quote]

It would often be due to the fact we had been previously banned by the venue and were playing under a different name :lol:

I never shut up !! Can't pass up on a chance to impose my opinionated bullshit on lesser mortals. 'Rolf is innocent' - 'Vote UKIP' etc etc. ' We've had a request , but we're staying ' usually gets a laugh.... as does 'It's always nice to come across a new face'. You can get away with reading out the sick text gags you get that you normally have to pretend not to find funny , too. More seriously , if you build up a rapport with the Williams they'll hang around waiting to see what you come out with next , they'll clap and cheer even if they're not too fussed about your brand of music and they'll laugh with you rather than at you when you cock things up. So far as I'm concerned - when my light comes on and theirs goes off I'm there to entertain whether I'm playing or not. I often walk out on bands that stand there like they're something special , often with their backs to me so I wouldn't blame the Williams for feeling the same about me. Besides - whoever bought you a pint because you ignored them ?!

There is always a degree of banter between myself and the singer when we gig.
A couple of gigs ago,I was approached by someone after the show who made comment that he had been thoroughly entertained by a band that wasn't of a genre that he would go out of his way to see, but clearly had fun together playing and insulting each other!