Why become a member? ×

Fender Strings Are...

discreet

Great. A recent acquisition arrived with Fender flats fitted, and I like 'em!

To the extent that I've strung my other bass with them, though this did necessitate a truss-rod tweak and a full set-up. They are much lower compliance than the strings I had on there. It's like a different bass, now. They are unusually bright and sound more like rounds, only without the fret-wear and the sore fingers...

Usually the first thing people do on buying a new Fender is change the stock strings...

Any love here for Fender flats..? :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1392050802' post='2364062']
Bump.
[/quote]

:D Ha, ha!

Yes, they are low-compliance or high-tension or however you want to say it, but I'm finding this works well for the kind of music I'm playing. These are the 50-100s, too. I find they are better balanced across the strings than my previous 45-105s.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1392052209' post='2364094']
I'd been wondering about Fender flatwounds, as they make about the least expensive set of five string flats out there.[/quote]

That's the other thing... found them for £16.50 post-free on the Bay (four-set), so they don't break the bank either.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1392051932' post='2364089']

Yes, they are low-compliance or high-tension or however you want to say it, but I'm finding this works well for the kind of music I'm playing. These are the 50-100s, too. I find they are better balanced across the strings than my previous 45-105s.
[/quote]

In contrast to the flats, the roundwounds are not particularly high tension/stiff feeling , but I think a lot of that is due to the fact that they are actually a round core construction, similar to DR Sunbeams/Hi Beams/Fatbeams, in that respect at least.

I have Fender flats on my Cort A4 fretless, and really like them. I recently put them on a couple of my fretted basses too, and the transformation has been pretty cool - lovely sound and of course silky smooth under the fingers.

If they did a 6-string set I'd have put them on my fretless Corvette, but I had to fork out for a set of TIs instead :o

I have Fender 45-105 flats on both fretless basses I can't really say I have noticed increased string tension, the only thing that concerns me with flats is I feel I am going to burn the tip of my finger if I slide too much on them.....which may beggar the question as to why have I put them on a fretless.......Hadn't really thought that one through properly!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1392057387' post='2364182']
... the only thing that concerns me with flats is I feel I am going to burn the tip of my finger if I slide too much on them...
[/quote]

That's strange because the moment I go near roundwounds - usually on bass in a shop - I feel the same as you.