Why become a member? ×

Fender Strings Are...

discreet

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1392057387' post='2364182']
the only thing that concerns me with flats is I feel I am going to burn the tip of my finger if I slide too much on them....
[/quote]

I have the same problem with women between the age 16 and 35 nowadays... Burnt fingers and another court case. :(

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1392066775' post='2364374']
Hmm....nice price, aren't they taperwounds?
[/quote]

Oh , hang on . I thought you meant[i] tapewounds[/i] . Yes, the E string is taperwound over the bridge saddle section , as is the low B string on the corresponding five string set from Fender.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1392070237' post='2364441']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CL9050s for when I can't afford TIs. [/font][/color]Nicely balanced tension across all the strings.
[/quote]

Yes, I found that. I did think it was because 50-100 are closer in gauge than 45-105, but I believe CLs are 45-105, so obviously there's a different reason... perhaps to do with compliance... are the CLs particularly low-compliance (i.e. high tension)?

I was given a set of the nickel roundwounds, as a bribe to teach friend of my wife's to play bass, and I was reluctant to try them for ages. When I finally decided that the Chrome flats weren't working on my Warlock (despite loving them on my Westfield) I decided to try the Fenders and love them. They also seem to be lasting a lot longer than the Rotos I had always ended up with before (because of the price).

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1392072617' post='2364472']
Yes, I found that. I did think it was because 50-100 are closer in gauge than 45-105, but I believe CLs are 45-105, so obviously there's a different reason... perhaps to do with compliance... are the CLs particularly low-compliance (i.e. high tension)?
[/quote]

I think it is because Fender picked the guages particularly well for the CL (Custom Light) set at 45/60/80/105. I don't think they are particularly high tension at about 45lbs on a 34" scale, and to me they feel just right.

Some of their other sets in the series have somewhat curious guages selected.

I used Fender Nylon Tapewounds. Astonished by the effect at first, but later I started to hear a plastic-like fret noise. I guess they're great on fretless bass, but on fretted P they had that squeak that irritated the hell out of me, on the "organic" level, sort of like smacking.

By the way, I use Rotosound 88 TruBass tapewounds and they don't have that issue at all!

Edited by Immo

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1392099852' post='2364574']
Can anyone provide a quick list of what the fender numbers and letters denote? I hunted last night and failed?
[/quote]

Fender 9050 Stainless Steel Flatwounds:

SL = Special Light (40-100)
L = Light (45-100)
ML = Medium Light (50-100)
M = Medium (55-105)
CL = Custom Light (45-105)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1392126064' post='2365004']

L = Light (45-100)
M = Medium (55-105)
[/quote]

thanks for that...any idea of the numbers for example 7250 v 9050?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1392126064' post='2365004']

L = Light (45-100)
M = Medium (55-105)
[/quote]

just a thought...does the difference here refer to the string tension 'cos some of the gauges are the same..unless it only refers to the G string?

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1392150604' post='2365419']
just a thought...does the difference here refer to the string tension 'cos some of the gauges are the same..unless it only refers to the G string?
[/quote]

The numbers refer to the E and G string guages on the 4 string sets. If you look at the websites for the retailers it will show you the guages for the whole set and you will notice a few sublte differences between the different sets.

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/bc/55/543/fender-bass-guitar-strings-sets/"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/bc/55/543/fender-bass-guitar-strings-sets/[/url]

Edited by ead

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1392150428' post='2365416']
thanks for that...any idea of the numbers for example 7250 v 9050?
[/quote]

9050 = Stainless Steel Flatwound
7250 = Nickel Plated Steel Roundwound
5250 = Short Scale Nickel Plated Steel Roundwound
7150 = Pure Nickel Roundwound
7350 = Stainless Steel Roundwound
8250 = Nickel Plated Steel Taperwound

Beaten to it by iCastle - yesterday!! :rolleyes:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='doctorbass' timestamp='1392200681' post='2365793']
I used to like the 9050M flats. I believe they're now made by D'Addario, which make them Chromes more or less.....
[/quote]

There's a thread on TB suggesting that Fender have recently switched to D'Addario for their strings. New Fender strings have coloured ball ends. I love D'Addario nickels and have just ordered some 7250s to see what gives. Quite fancy 7150s too.

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1392205138' post='2365869']
There's a thread on TB suggesting that Fender have recently switched to D'Addario for their strings. New Fender strings have coloured ball ends. I love D'Addario nickels and have just ordered some 7250s to see what gives. Quite fancy 7150s too.
[/quote]

I am going to buy a set of 7150's as soon as someone buys my( already extensively plugged on this thread...to no avail) almost brand new 8250's for sale on this site.

The only other pure nickel roundwound I have ever seen are the DR Jonas Hellborg signature set, and the big windings on those put me off buying a set . I can't find out much about what the 7150's are like , but they are cheaper than the DR's and look well worth taking a punt on . The Fenders might have an equally unique tone as Jonas' strings. The 7150's are available in a good selection of sensibly gauged sets, too.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1392214001' post='2366010']
Fender Strings Are: Reasonably priced and quite good.
[/quote]

I think that's the general consensus! :) What I'm liking is the fact you can get a twangy rounds-feel AND a thumpy flats feel, and if so inclined you can get them simultaneously. They sound maybe a little [i]too [/i]twangy solo, but in a band situation they really shine - lots of definition and heft. These are the 9050ML I'm talking about here.

Edited by discreet

Can we please keep this thread going until someone forks out the pittance I am asking for my Fender 8250's? I really cannot believe my luck at this spontaneous outpouring of pro- Fender string propaganda. I don't really need £9, but I have to find a buyer now just to save face.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1392218812' post='2366086']
Can we please keep this thread going until someone forks out the pittance I am asking for my Fender 8250's? I really cannot believe my luck at this spontaneous outpouring of pro- Fender string propaganda. I don't really need £9, but I have to find a buyer now just to save face.
[/quote]

:lol:

Go on then, an you pm me with the details.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1392220748' post='2366117']
:lol:

Go on then, an you pm me with the details.

Peter
[/quote]

Result!

Thank you for ending my ordeal before I sacrificed whatever is left of my dignity and[i] really [/i] started begging people to buy them.

Edited by Dingus