Why become a member? ×

Thinking about lakland

patrikmarky

[quote name='patrikmarky' timestamp='1391801534' post='2361562']
Thinking about a lakland spalted maple fiver ..with bart pups...any one got an opinion...
[/quote]

If you mean the special edition 55-01, whilst I wouldn't discourage you from that choice, the 55-02 with the same Lakland/Hanson pickups and LH1 preamp as is on the USA-made basses is a far superior model ( in my opinion) for not much more money. I haven't seen a Skyline 55-02 in spalted maple, but they do a Deluxe version with a quilt or flame maple top that looks lovely to me.

Edited by Dingus

I am in the minority, I am not keen on Lakland. They are solid basses but with the exception of a Duck Dunn model, I have only ever been underwhelmed by Lakland Skyline's. They are well built, but for what they go for new I would buy something else personally. My best friend uses a 5502 Deluxe with USA Bart electronics for a lot of high profile recording jobs and has constantly struggled to get a decent tone out of it and now bypasses the electronics for recording.

I leant him my old £260 Squier CV precision and he instantly found it easier to play and got a better sound out of it for recording. Its all preference though, we all have different ideas of the perfect tone.

I adore my Bob Glaub skyline. If you're looking at one of their actives my recommendation would be the MM/J one, does everything the soapbar one does but also does more. Also the skylines are incredible value. I've never played a US one but I can't see how it can be much better. My skyline feels better put together than most things.

[quote name='patrikmarky' timestamp='1391801534' post='2361562']
Thinking about a lakland spalted maple fiver ..with bart pups...any one got an opinion...
[/quote]
If I was you I'd have a search for the Basschat threads where Laklands have been criticised strongly for the quality control of neck/pickup/bridge alignment and I would probably want to play before I bought.

Also, I wouldn't myself go for spalted maple or five strings or bart pickups.

However, my Lakland Decade is spot on excellent.

I nearly got the exact bass you're thinking of. In the end I got the non spalted version. I really like it. It is my first 5 string, really well built, very nice, broad neck with decent string spacing. A tight, well defined sound. The only quibble would be the frets seem quite tall and narrow which I am less keen on. Overall though a very good instrument for the money. Almost forgot; it's a 35" scale so make shire your ok with that.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1391838931' post='2361863']
....you email them about getting some stockists in the UK and they just don't seem bothered....
[/quote]

Why do you need to email them? The UK dealers are listed on the Lakland website.

I've emailed them a couple of times and got prompt replies. The first time Dan Lakin answered my questions personally.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1391838931' post='2361863']
Great bass company, woeful UK distribution, Yet you email them about getting some stockists in the UK and they just don't seem bothered.
Sad.
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1391856896' post='2361990']
Why do you need to email them? The UK dealers are listed on the Lakland website.

I've emailed them a couple of times and got prompt replies. The first time Dan Lakin answered my questions personally.
[/quote]
I've had nothing but prompt and helpful dealings with Lakland - with Dan Lakin when he was still there and with John Pirruccello and others since Dan left.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1391846680' post='2361893']
Nice, get in there! I have the same 'one in, one out' rule and sadly said goodbye to my 55-02 yesterday. Every Lakland I have played has been pure class, both US and Skyline; enjoy.
[/quote]

I have a 55-02 that has finally made me "get" 5-strings. Lovely lovely neck.
I am not fully taken with the sound, but it may be because it's neither Jazz nor Stingray... although that's not the bass' problem but my own :lol:

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1391807854' post='2361658']
I am in the minority, I am not keen on Lakland. They are solid basses but with the exception of a Duck Dunn model, I have only ever been underwhelmed by Lakland Skyline's. They are well built, but for what they go for new I would buy something else personally. My best friend uses a 5502 Deluxe with USA Bart electronics for a lot of high profile recording jobs and has constantly struggled to get a decent tone out of it and now bypasses the electronics for recording.

I leant him my old £260 Squier CV precision and he instantly found it easier to play and got a better sound out of it for recording. Its all preference though, we all have different ideas of the perfect tone.
[/quote]

Ay, I've been underwhelmed. Nice designs just not my thing for the price bracket.

My 55-02 (see my avatar) is the most versatile bass in my collection. It's an early model (#24 in fact!) with Bart's and preamp. I use the bass almost exclusively for my recording jobs. It sounds awesome no matter which style of music I use it for. It plays beautifully...I can play it for hours with very little strain. Every bit as enjoyable as the American made instruments for almost half the price.

The only criticism about my bass is that the preamp lacks a bit is headroom compared to my other basses. It's not a huge issue in the studio, but if I am using it live and I have to switch basses you can notice the drop.

Edited by shizznit

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1391854540' post='2361964']
I bought my 55 01 as back up for my Stingray. The Stingray now rarely gets an outing. For the money I think you'd struggle to find a better made/sounding bass. Love mine!
[/quote]

That's how I ended up with mine. I too bought my Lakland as a backup to my MM Stingray 5, but became my #1 within weeks. I haven't owned another MM Stingray since.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1391856896' post='2361990']
Why do you need to email them? The UK dealers are listed on the Lakland website. there is only

[/quote]

I can only find The Gallery and Guitar Guitar. Stocks are low, most things by order. That to me is not good distribution, The last twice I have mailed them responses have been relatively quick admittedly. The responses were both sadly negative though.