Why become a member? ×

Country music recommended listening?

davidpike

Hi All,

For years, I have avoided country music. Too many mental images of Dolly Parton, Billy Ray Cyrus and Line-dancing to get me interested.

However, I bought my wife the latest Lady Antebellum CD for Christmas. We listened to it in the car and it's pretty good. So I started looking around (Spotify is wonderful!!) and I've come to the conclusion that I was wrong - there's a lot of very good music out there, particularly the modern country rock stuff.

My problem is that I don't know where to start. Who's good? Who's influential? And from a bass player's point of view, who should be listening to?

Please help...

Cheers

Dave

Try Steve Earle - Jerusalem. Interesting CD in that it's not all about apple pie and Mom, but give Bush a fair old kicking on the way past. I think Steve stuggled for sales for a while based on the content.

Country can be a bit of difficult genre to define nowadays, because a lot of acts that come under the country music banner and who are based in Nashville such as Lady Antebellum, enjoyable as many of them might be, are in fact essentially generic mainstream pop acts in all but presentation and image. It's well worth checking out artists like the excellent Shelby Lynne and Lucinda Williams if you want to hear some modern music that comes from a country tradition. Nancy Griffith is great , too.

Check out the Secret Sisters (though if you're liking the modern country rock stuff they might be a bit "old-timey" for you).

Nickel Creek might be more to your liking.

Also: Emmylou Harris, Nancy Griffiths, Gillian Welch, Alison Krauss, The Civil Wars, Robert Ellis to name but a few.

I too avoided country music like the plague for far too long. My current favs, and therefore recommended, by me, would be;
Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen
The Byrds
The Flying Burrito Brothers
Hayes Carll
Dwight Yoakham
Buck Owens
JJ Cale
The Dillards
Joe Maphis
Townes Van Zandt
Gram Parsons
Emmylou Harris
Asleep At The Wheel
New Riders Of The Purple Sage
The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Michael Nesmith
Pure Praire League
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys
Hank Williams Sr.
Hank Williams Jr.
Hank Williams III

& don't write Dolly off too soon (like I did), give the album Jolene another go, sublime!

as far as country bass players go, Norbert Putnam can do no wrong in my eyes

John :)

Edited by thehillscorporation

well at last someone else comes over to the dark side :) here we go - few more worth adding -

Travis Tritt
Garth Brooks
Willie Nelson
Jaron and the Long Road to Love
Blue Ridge Rangers with John Fogherty
Keith Urban
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Dixie Chicks
Gretchen Wilson
Reba McIntire
Chris LeDoux
Jerry Reed
John Denver
Tim McGraw
Waylon Jennings
Tim McGraw
Blackfoot, Creedence, Early Eagles and Lynryrd if you want some country rock ;)

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]& don't write Dolly off too soon (like I did), give the album Jolene another go, sublime![/font][/color][/quote]

+1 the thought might make you cringe but have a listen to some Dolly ;) - how the hell she plays Jolene with 3" nails I'll never know but she's not the queen of country through lack of talent ;)

Edited by BobVbass

Many suggestions so far are Country Rock. I totally agree with Dingus about Country being a hard genre to define as there are so many offshoots and Country Rock is just one.
I'd start with giving a listen (there is plenty on youtube) to Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter Family then move on to Western Swing with artists like Bob Wills and Tennessee Ernie Ford then on to Bluegrass by Bill Monroe and Earl Scruggs. Honky Tonk shouldn't be overlooked so a bit of Hank Williams and on to 50s and 60s Nashville Sounds and Countrypolitan and then Outlaw Country by Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings etc. There are far too many artists to list so it's best just to work your way through the genres in the history of Country music and it will give you a good idea of what it's all about. Happy listening!

Edited by BetaFunk

Joe Ely is someone I've always liked :)

[url="http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/52889348/Definitive-Collection/Product.html?searchstring=joe+ely&searchsource=0&searchtype=musicall&urlrefer=search&strefer=musicall&searchfilters=s%7bjoe+ely%7d%2bc%7b34%7d%2b"]http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/52889348/Definitive-Collection/Product.html?searchstring=joe+ely&searchsource=0&searchtype=musicall&urlrefer=search&strefer=musicall&searchfilters=s%7bjoe+ely%7d%2bc%7b34%7d%2b[/url]

Cant go wrong with Gram Parsons or The Eagles, Tim McGraw is also pretty good :)

John :)

Keith Urban and Brad Paisley are on regular rotation here. Darius Rucker's Charleston SC album is worth a listen for the sublime Michael Rhodes alone. I ocassionally swerve into Rascal Flatts territory too, but there's a lot of filler there if you ask me...

This is a bit like saying recommend me some rock acts, the field is vast and the variety huge. So you like a modern country/rock album, so Band Perry, earlier Shania Twain would be jumping off points. Female vocals then Emmylou, Gillian Welch, Alison Krauss. Don't like some of it but love some of the songs? Check out who wrote them and follow them down.

It's a big new world for you to explore, have a lot of fun :)

Steve

PS Don't right off Dolly Parton, she's one of the best songwriters out there and for a totally left field suggestion "Dr Hook and the Medicine Show" Please note this is NOT the same band as Dr Hook, much more interesting, Shel Silverstein was their songwriter (Boy named Sue) and they did the first version of "Queen of the Silver Dollar" (eventually covered by Emmylou, Dolly Etc etc).