Why become a member? ×

The voice UK

Hoppo75

• 1 year later...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1390807662' post='2349613']
Its not really about the voice though is it.... They are listening trying to work out how attractive the singer is by the sound of their voice. After the first round it's basically xfactor.
[/quote]

They should keep paper bags on their heads all the way until the live final.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1390807662' post='2349613']
Its not really about the voice though is it.... They are listening trying to work out how attractive the singer is by the sound of their voice. After the first round it's basically xfactor.
[/quote]its a load of sh*t.. there i said it..

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1390781687' post='2349559']
RE: this show, I've wondered ever since it started - if it's all about the voice, why isn't it on radio?
[/quote]

I guess it's a toss-up between a radio audience of a few hundred thousand or a TV audience of a few million.
Tough decision.
But yes, after the first round it does effectively become The X-Factor.

Let's be honest, we all know it's never been about finding the person with the best voice, but finding which singer is the most popular. Which makes perfect sense.
Why would they want to find the best voice when they can find the good-looking, popular singer whose voice may not be as good but who will sell more records and make somebody more money.

Sadly the music industry is not one where the cream always rises to the top.

American Idol and The Voice. As far as I can see all of the contestants are:[list]
[*]Already pros that can sing their butts off and many have already been signed
[*]Young
[*]Attractive
[/list]
Blue

Edited by blue

I may be in a minority here but I cannot see the problem with these shows (the Voice or The X Factor). They are about the full package; voice, looks, dancing, body image, presence etc. So what? THAT is what the world of pop music is about and anyone who thinks it is about integrity or pure artistry is kidding themselves. If Waynetta Slob got up there and sang like a God, there would be a discussion about whether or not she could be cleaned up and rendered presentable. If not, end of story. There are dozens of old artist of yesteryear who were great singers but who, for all sorts of reasons, never made it 'big' in any mainstream sense; instead they had long careers as 'B-listers', cabaret acts, musical theatre or in other marginalised genres. For someone to make it in the [b]mainstream[/b] music industry, they have to have the whole package. It is not really that different in Jazz (the source of all purity). Every Jazz festival is nowadays headlined by what I call 'nearly Jazz'; Gregory Porter, Jools Holland, Van Morrison, Jamie Cullem etc etc - if you take a genius musician like, say, Kenny Wheeler, you cannot expect the kids who love to look at and dance to Justin Beiber to sit there, stroking their chins, watching a portly 70+ year old in a cord suit and loafers, standing there playing his horn, even if it IS magic. Same with Rock. Imagine a man with Albert Tatlock's looks and Graham Bonnet's voice? Would he be selected to front a reformed Journey? Of course not. In a world of visual imagery, the look is part of the deal.

These shows are looking for mainstream artists and there are lots of different formulas for what that looks like (that is the art of it) but, to me, the approach as some integrity in it's own field of operation (those battles in The Voice last week, for instance. I knew who won every time because, prejudices aside and with a small degree of subjectivity, the better singers came out on top). For those who pass through and who 'lose', there is still an industry that can accommodate them e.g. Jonathan Antoine as a classical tenor, Rhydian Roberts in musical theatre, Susan Boyle in her field etc. These people are all perfectly credible and certainly have as much right to be out there as I do but they are unlikely to be on MTV any time soon. More to the point, lots of the winners have disappeared into obscurity for the same reasons. Voice aside, they could not cut it..

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1425899002' post='2711871']
I may be in a minority here but I cannot see the problem with these shows (the Voice or The X Factor). They are about the full package; voice, looks, dancing, body image, presence etc. So what? THAT is what the world of pop music is about and anyone who thinks it is about integrity or pure artistry is kidding themselves. If Waynetta Slob got up there and sang like a God, there would be a discussion about whether or not she could be cleaned up and rendered presentable. If not, end of story. There are dozens of old artist of yesteryear who were great singers but who, for all sorts of reasons, never made it 'big' in any mainstream sense; instead they had long careers as 'B-listers', cabaret acts, musical theatre or in other marginalised genres. For someone to make it in the [b]mainstream[/b] music industry, they have to have the whole package. It is not really that different in Jazz (the source of all purity). Every Jazz festival is nowadays headlined by what I call 'nearly Jazz'; Gregory Porter, Jools Holland, Van Morrison, Jamie Cullem etc etc - if you take a genius musician like, say, Kenny Wheeler, you cannot expect the kids who love to look at and dance to Justin Beiber to sit there, stroking their chins, watching a portly 70+ year old in a cord suit and loafers, standing there playing his horn, even if it IS magic. Same with Rock. Imagine a man with Albert Tatlock's looks and Graham Bonnet's voice? Would he be selected to front a reformed Journey? Of course not. In a world of visual imagery, the look is part of the deal.

These shows are looking for mainstream artists and there are lots of different formulas for what that looks like (that is the art of it) but, to me, the approach as some integrity in it's own field of operation (those battles in The Voice last week, for instance. I knew who won every time because, prejudices aside and with a small degree of subjectivity, the better singers came out on top). For those who pass through and who 'lose', there is still an industry that can accommodate them e.g. Jonathan Antoine as a classical tenor, Rhydian Roberts in musical theatre, Susan Boyle in her field etc. These people are all perfectly credible and certainly have as much right to be out there as I do but they are unlikely to be on MTV any time soon. More to the point, lots of the winners have disappeared into obscurity for the same reasons. Voice aside, they could not cut it..
[/quote]

I agree 100%. My only issue is the amount of coverage that the contestants get compared to people doing it the hard way. Desn't mean the end product is actually any good, but then theres some mainstream stuff thats also a load of crap as well. I dont know whether some of the contestants would ever darken our airwaves without shows like this. I mean, someone ilke Olly Murs, maybe he can sing a bit but he's not exactly on the upper end of talented is he? But, go back through history and theres plenty of OK artists that got hyped up into to the big time.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1425899002' post='2711871']
For those who pass through and who 'lose', there is still an industry that can accommodate them e.g. Jonathan Antoine as a classical tenor, Rhydian Roberts in musical theatre, Susan Boyle in her field etc. [/quote]

I know she was a little difficult to pigeonhole but it's unfair to leave her singing outside in a field.

I always wonder about people like Christopher Cross (great voice, not a pretty man), Ozzy Osbourne (charismatic in every way except reality), John Denver (great voice but a bit nerdy) etc; they wouldn't get a look in today but, in their day, the video side of things was much less important. As I said, it has to be the whole package nowadays..