Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

which vintage Fender would you buy and why?

Diablo

I'm in the market for a vintage bass. Got to be Fender IMHO. I have a 60th anniversary P-Bass but want to get an 'original' but being kind of new to bass playing, well as the title says, if I'm going to spend £1500-£2000 on a bass, which Fender (age, model , originality etc) would you your choice. I'm thinking of a user and not a museum piece. To compliment the bass I have I was thinking of a late 60's or early 70's J-bass, but thoughts please, and also what to avoid and look out for.

Cheers,
Rich B

Even though you're new to playing bass, your idea about buying a used bass (whether it's 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's) is a good one. Mainly because they will hold their secondhand value, if nothing else.

I own a late 70's P bass that I've had for 30 years and it's a good un. But be aware there's plenty of dogs out there (and I've played some horrors), so I recommend you try any bass you decide to buy, before parting with your cash.

Edited by gjones

i really don't see the point in getting a vintage Fender J bass when there are Fenders like this around. ok its at the top of your price range, but i reckon you may take less of a gamble quality and weight wise. if not this. a Sadowsky UV4 is a tp draw choice[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr06WZwz-b4[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

To be perfectly honest (if you can) I'd keep saving until you can get an early 70's Fender. Very generally, after about 1973, they started to get very heavy and some late 70's basses weigh an absolute ton.

If that's not practical, do as above. Don't buy blind and try every bass out. There are some real dogs out there. Andy Baxter is a good start. Wunjo, Bass Gallery and Classic and Cool maybe (he has a wonderful 50th anniversary Jazz with matching headstock on there - ok not a 'vintage' but many wouldn't consider the late 70's vintage either).

At least buying second hand will always see you get your money back and possibly a return later on but it's not about that is it. As for neck profiles etc, just try the basses and get the one that suits you best. Irrespective of the age of the instrument, the best one for you is the one you enjoy playing the most and which is most comfortable.

Good luck with the hunt and let's see the result.

Sorry, didn't actually answer your question. I'd get details from Mark for this [url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/s8fenderprecision.htm"]http://www.classican...erprecision.htm[/url] - weight etc. I was lucky enough to get a stripped Precision with 1973 body and neck and 1968 electrics (all apparently from Mo Fosters parts draw) for about £1100 from Bass Gallery a couple of years ago so sometimes something crops up. If you really want 'vintage' look, go for a refin as it'll cost less than a mint bass and be just as good.

You'll see I'm a Precision player so I'd get one of those. At your budget I'd be looking for a light one, B profile neck, rosewood board and a refin. For me they're great value and very easy to play.

Edited by Bassman Steve

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1390638820' post='2347736']
With that budget, Early 70s all the way. Prices are still reasonable-ish, they're generally well-built and a good weight, and they have a feel all of their own.
[/quote]
I'd agree with WOT, I have a 1970 P and it's by far the best Fender I have ever tried or bought.(Norman Watt-Roy wanted it off me last week :) ) There is something to be said for the older ones.

For that kind of money I'd be looking for a refinished or stripped bass that is otherwise pretty much original. They go for considerably less than even quite worn instruments and would fit your preference for a players bass. And obviously a private sale where you can inspect the bass would be cheaper than going through a dealer.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1390617361' post='2347694']
i really don't see the point in getting a vintage Fender J bass when there are Fenders like this around. ok its at the top of your price range, but i reckon you may take less of a gamble quality and weight wise. if not this. a Sadowsky UV4 is a tp draw choice[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr06WZwz-b4[/media]
[/quote] I prefer the older '75 reissues myself. Secondhand they tend to be about £800-900

Many thanks to you all for your help, advice etc. I only have 1 bass, a 60th anniversary 2011 P-bass which I bought new from JG's in Newcastle. So much to research and learn, but of course the best thing is to ask those who know, like you lot!

Cheers,
Rich B

I wouldn't dismiss the late 70's Fender basses, yes most are very heavy, I have one weighing in at a stupid 11.5lbs and that is by no means the heaviest one I have come across, but I have just picked up an Olympic White / Maple neck 79 Precision in fantastic condition and weighing in at 9.3lbs at well within your budget.....because it is late 70's it is worth a lot less than early 70's basses and the late 70's basses have fantastic necks on them

I've sent a series of links to the dealers listed above to my wife with a subtle b'day hint...!

I also have no idea what YOB means, want to give me a clue?

The discussion about weight is very interesting. My current one is 4.05kg, about 8.8lbs, and after playing that for 2 hours I know about it. I would not want a tree trunk of 11 lbs, I'd find it unplayable after an hour.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1390605975' post='2347623']
Check out Andy Baxter's site for a general idea of the prices you will pay [url="http://www.andybaxterbass.com/"]http://www.andybaxterbass.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Don't you post such links, DON'T YOU -> a stack-knob Jazz in blonde, WOW.

Must it be a vintage Fender? I never ever say never say never...ever - because if you do ever say never say never ever [i]you are limiting yourself. [/i]Does that make sense?

There are plenty of [i]other builders[/i] who generally [i]make better Fenders[/i] than Fender. Have you tried them? If so why not try them before you spend your cash/