Why become a member? ×

That moment you realise there's no point in trying different basses...

Clarky72

[quote name='Scott S' timestamp='1390313258' post='2343888']
Even my wife has cottoned on to this...(as Jamerson thuds away in the background)..."Precision today then is it, love?" :blink:
[/quote]

Yeah... not sure I've fully convinced mrstheelvy that I need all mine, but I think I'm getting there. She can at least hear the difference between a P-bass strung with flats and a Ricky strung with steel rounds...

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1390309525' post='2343798']
Having multiple basses always bother me. Not because I don't like the bass, is I always use the same bass for gig. This is because the band required that particular sound, so therefore that particular bass is always getting use.
[/quote]
I found this after spending a lot of time finding a nice bass with a tome that I loved, that sound just wan't right in the band. I now have a set up that I really like. Having said that if your a creative player then having a few nice instruments to play can inspire you to push the boundaries a bit. Nothing wrong with that :)

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1390313483' post='2343894']
Yeah... not sure I've fully convinced mrstheelvy that I need all mine, but I think I'm getting there. She can at least hear the difference between a P-bass strung with flats and a Ricky strung with steel rounds...
[/quote]

God bless 'em. Mine had me flicking through the ads here yesterday looking for Stingrays with "nice coloured bodies". This is a positive sign, as I am hankering for a Stingray with a nice coloured body :secret:

[quote name='Scott S' timestamp='1390313937' post='2343900']
God bless 'em. Mine had me flicking through the ads here yesterday looking for Stingrays with "nice coloured bodies". This is a positive sign, as I am hankering for a Stingray with a nice coloured body :secret:
[/quote]

Good, good. The colour of my Stingray informed the colour scheme of our wedding... :-)

I have multiple basses & have gone through a ridiculous number - but yeah - a Jazz does the lot, doesn't it? Looks great too.

I still like different basses and will no doubt continue to buy stuff I don't need, but always end up with a J of one sort or another.

Jon.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1390317242' post='2343960']
I discovered that a simple precision was all I needed. I do fancy a jazz bass but haven't found one yet that I really like
[/quote]

Not even the one you've just bought?

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227444-i-have-just-bought-a-jazz-bass/page__fromsearch__1 ... in case it slipped your mind?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1390312397' post='2343870']
Not true! My Marcus Miller Jazz has an active preamp and can do a heck of a lot more than a passive J. And it's for sale!! ;)
[/quote]

I'll have to take your word for it then, not played on the Marcus Miller version - maybe I'll take one into consideration once I've moved house & had a chance to count my spare pennies.

I've not bought a new bass in 6-7 years and been quite happy with what I've got.

But now our acoustic project has taken off, and I've discovered my solid fretless sounds WAY better in the mix than my acoustic bass, I've got a bit of gas for some kind of semi-acoustic fretless that looks the part in an acoustic trio. Doh!

I have a Lakland SK-569, Warwick streamer jazzman and a Fender jazz. Pretty much I play the Lakland most of the time now. When I want to play a 4 stringer I'd go to the other two. And I'm fairly content with what I have now ( a side from wanting a 55-94 ). I'd still probably try other basses just for the heck of being able to play a different one but I don't think I'll be needing anything now. Want is a different thing though! :lol:

I think it's a place we all end up in eventually. Maybe just get fed up with losing/wasting money on instruments!

I'm a one-bass owner now, and have no intention of ever buying another if I don't have to...just going to play this one into submission.... :o[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1390306349' post='2343734']
It's happened to me after a spectacular run of buying some beautiful basses and them leaving as quickly as they've arrived. Over the last couple of years I've had Spector, Kubicki, Aria, Ibanez, and probably a few I can't remember at the moment and none have matched up to my jazz basses.

The time has come to realise if it's not a Jazz bass or an assorted clone or something very Fender-ish then it probably isn't going to work for me.

Anyone else come to that point of trying and getting rid of?

That said I'm only human, so I still have GAS, but only for more Jazzes, a Sadowsky and a Yamaha BB2024X, nothing shockingly non-Fender-ish there...
[/quote]

I started on a japanese jazz way back when. Then Warwick streamer stage 2, and various Yamahas, now back to a Fender jazz . On reflection the Warwicks and Yammy's were all kind of modern Jazz clones. Esp the Streamer. But none of them nailed the tone. I am also stuck, its a life sentence.... I just wish they were easier on me. They are big old things, and the older ones that I have, don't half suffer from neck dive. The lack sensitivity of the pickups also means that you have to work em a bit, esp on runs to get the notes to stand out. But having said this due to the shape of the neck there are things I can play on a jazz which are more of a struggle on other basses esp, playing fast notes runs, very busy lines etc; and through the right amp the tone makes the hair stand up on the back of the neck......

Edited by dan670844

Whilst patiently awaiting DrumChat.co.uk, I'd chip in with a drummer's point of view (well, mine, anyway..!). I have had only one kit since the mid '70s (Camco...), but have played a very wide range of styles since then, in a great variety of events and venues. From 'typique' through musette, rock through pop, 'jazz' through experimental and most points west, this one kit does it all. I'll admit to modifying the tuning for some specific uses, but the fundamentals are there.
Why do I say this..? Can you imagine your drummer changing his/her kit between songs..? How to get the change in tone from a unique set..? Swapping snares for that special sound..? Yes, it can (and is...) done in studio work, or a second piccolo snare for accents or cuban, but in general, one kit has to be played in a way appropriate for the music. One may go for brushes, or rods, but the kit remains basically the same. Does your drummer turn up for rehearsals or gigs with a different kit each time..? Is it birch one week, and oak the next..? Is he/her GASsing for a Vistalite, or a set of octobans..?
The 'sound', we all know, is for a great deal down to one's fingers (including knowing how to turn the knobs on one's bass/pre/amp...). Yes, there are subtle differences between different instruments, and some can be very limited in their scope, but it's a bit of a wild goose chase (imho...) going from one to another like a butterfly in a field of poppies.
Any good player, with (just about...) any good bass/pre/amp, can get just about any reasonable sound, I'd say.
...or are drums just too different a subject..? Ask your drummers..? B)

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1390310137' post='2343813']
I figured out that a Jazz Bass, with a John East retro pre amp, can do everything I (and probably most other bassists) need a bass to do.
[/quote]

I got meself a Jazz, and bunged a John East in, loved the tone. Turned up at a rehearsal 9 months later and couldn't get a decent sound out of it for love nor money despite batt changes, knob twiddling, even swapped my amp out. Its been gathering dust ever since, which I'm really miffed at, I look at it and I just don't feel the love any more *sigh* I've even gone off maple necks cos its got one....fickle or what?

I think I might bung up for sale on here

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1390379692' post='2344593']
I think 2 bass is reasonable. One for backup incase the other is still in the workshop or not working for a sudden. More then 2 the rest is luxury.
[/quote]

Everyone likes a bit of luxury... :biggrin:

I just got a Variax and it's left me in a quandary. It's a lot better than I thought and makes a couple of my others redundant.

My first thought is not to sell them and pocket the cash, but what else could I get from the proceeds ? For me new basses are something I always want and the research and pondering over what to do is half the fun.

My problem is not selling the ones I play less as I have extreme attachment and don't want to 'lose out' on something even if another bass can do the same thing. I like collecting basically.

I may try hiding them in cases for a few weeks and seeing how I feel, if I didn't pine for it a lot then it'd ripe for sale.

Edited by Machines

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1390380482' post='2344606']
I've tried loads, cheap & dear but I always go back to my Precision. Looking for another as a backup.

Even with small hands it just works for me. Simple person, simple bass. B)
[/quote]
+1
I started with a Jap P and it served me well for years, moved on to usa p then went down the road of trying all sorts EBMM first a usa sub then 'rays fretted and fretless, sandbergs etc.only one jazz for a very short time (went back to dolphin cos the strap pin fell out!)
years of knob twiddling and never being happy with my sound -too boomy, not clear enough, not cutting through etc etc

Ive just come full circle and am back with a nate mendel. love it a P serves me and my band the best. already gassing for a roadworn P but must admit I still fancy giving a jazz a proper run out (probalby before deciding i prefer a p bass!

my current set up is p bass, OTB 500 amp and an ashdown LB212 cab all parts bomb proof and literally plug and play