Why become a member? ×

That moment you realise there's no point in trying different basses...

Clarky72

It's happened to me after a spectacular run of buying some beautiful basses and them leaving as quickly as they've arrived. Over the last couple of years I've had Spector, Kubicki, Aria, Ibanez, and probably a few I can't remember at the moment and none have matched up to my jazz basses.

The time has come to realise if it's not a Jazz bass or an assorted clone or something very Fender-ish then it probably isn't going to work for me.

Anyone else come to that point of trying and getting rid of?

That said I'm only human, so I still have GAS, but only for more Jazzes, a Sadowsky and a Yamaha BB2024X, nothing shockingly non-Fender-ish there...

I gone through tons of quality expensive bass and also come to conclusion that a fender ish Jazz or P/J bass will suit my need. I have a bongo atm which i'm trying to get rid or trade, but i think is to do with a GAS thing. I slept over it and decide to keep it instead. Hopefully no more GAS will come to me soon .....

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1390307182' post='2343752']
I know what I like... seems silly to never try anything else though. You might miss out on something that would work perfectly for you.
[/quote]

+1. IMO it'd be a bit like never bothering to try any new food again simply because you really like chip butties. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1390307330' post='2343754']
So true. I'm beginning to understand why people yearn for multiple basses after years of being baffled by this.
[/quote]
I realised this a while ago and bought multiple basses...

Now I'm just baffled which to play and when it doesn't sound good, is it me or the bass?

It's ok, I think I know the answer on that. What I do know is I'm still exploring to find exactly what sound I'm after, just hoping I'll know it when I get there, if I get there. :huh:[size=4] [/size]

I've owned Charvels, Yamahas, Stingrays, Precisions and lots of Jazz Basses. Although I did like them all, they became superfluous once I figured out that a Jazz Bass, with a John East retro pre amp, can do everything I (and probably most other bassists) need a bass to do.

Although I do have a soft spot for my scruffy old P bass.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1390309525' post='2343798']
Having multiple basses always bother me. Not because I don't like the bass, is I always use the same bass for gig. This is because the band required that particular sound, so therefore that particular bass is always getting use.
[/quote]

I'm finding that with my current band. I have come to the conclusion that Jazz basses really work for me, but not all Jazz basses work in the band! My MIM Standard just "works". So did my CIJ Geddy Lee. But My CIJ Marcus Miller just doesn't quite fit (me or the band) as perfectly.

But there are still loads of basses that I haven't tried yet! Top of that list is probably Musicman, but there are lots of others. You just never know which bass will surprise you (for good or bad!).

Yes and no haha! I love the chase of trying new gear. I find bass guitars absolutely fascinating.

However, I always look at EBMM as my benchmark. Nothing touches them for quality/price/ergonomics/tone for my tastes.

Fender are a close second, but I wish they would continue to build on their QC. I have two stunning Fenders but I have played many terrible Fenders!

Edited by Musicman20

I look at it the completely opposite way - there's much fun in trying different basses, because apart from a few cosmetic (don't like chrome control plates) and ergonomic (don't like skinny necks) restrictions on my choices, I'm of the opinion that all basses sound like ... me playing a bass. I take a different bass to every rehearsal and gig and I really don't care as long as it sounds good to me and I can hear myself when I play with the band. I am the antithesis of the "you only need 1 bass" school of thought - I'll defend to the death your right to think that way though :)

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1390310137' post='2343813']
a Jazz Bass, with a John East retro pre amp, can do everything I (and probably most other bassists) need a bass to do.[/quote]

I know what you mean. I really like the Marcus J retro, but I find that I am constantly fiddling with it, and if I knock it at all it takes ages to get back the sound I had. No problem for recording, but a bugger when rehearsing or gigging.

There is a beautiful simplicity to the passive tone controls on a J. I just wish there was a way of boosting the mids other than using an outboard EQ unit!

I do really want a jazz - I think they tick all the boxes for for a passive but by definition of what they are they'll never be able to create the modern bass tone that other brands have & that sounds so perfect at certain times.

I think I'll be able to content myself with two basses; Jazz for classic tone & simplicity, Warwick for the modern growling sound that they do so well.

Edited by Lw.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1390311323' post='2343847']
I still have a lot of GAS to burn off before I get to Clarky72's position :excl:
[/quote]

I'm sure I'll see something soon and GAS will overrule my better judgement and I'll have another bass to put in BC marketplace!

edit. awful typing!

Edited by Clarky72

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1390312023' post='2343864']
I do really want a jazz - I think they tick all the boxes for for a passive but by definition of what they are they'll never be able to create the modern bass tone that other brands have & that sounds so perfect at certain times.
[/quote]

Not true! My Marcus Miller Jazz has an active preamp and can do a heck of a lot more than a passive J. And it's for sale!! ;)

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1390312992' post='2343881']
Is it me or every bass in my hand sounds the same? I'm kinda up to the point that I don't bother buying new basses because they all sound the same in my hand ......
[/quote]

I do find that, but don't see that as a bad thing...

I just sound like me... :-)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1390312980' post='2343880']
I love the sounds of so many basses until they are in my hands, at that point they sound wrong as they`re not Fender Precisions.

Doesn`t stop me buying and selling lots of those though.
[/quote]

:) I know that feeling mate!

I really hope that one day I do come to this point of realisation. Mine is kicked off by something as seemingly innocuous as a change of CD. If I put on some Rush...?then I want a Fender Jazz or Rick, if I listen to some Chic...? Stingray, some Patitucci...? Yammy TRB-6, etc, etc. Even my wife has cottoned on to this...(as Jamerson thuds away in the background)..."Precision today then is it, love?" :blink: