Why become a member? ×

That moment you realise there's no point in trying different basses...

Clarky72

The point came for me when I got an alembic. Since then nothing else I've played gives me the ability to sound the way I want to.
I've tried a number of basses at various points over the past 10 years that I've been playing bass to hear if there is anything I'm missing sonically and didn't succeed. To me most of the basses I hear regardless of what they are sound like they want to be a fender bass but more fender than a fender bass and with a different badge on the headstock. Not that I think there is anything wrong with that sound or the brand or anyone playing them. It's just not for me. I sometimes do tracks played by Marcus Miller and Aston Barrett in my bands and I can get the sound I need from my bass to make the track sound authentic and that's all that I need.
So now whilst I will still keep my ears open I doubt if I will divert my funds elsewhere bass wise unless I have a custom bass built, but then I don't know enough about bass to specify the right bass for me.

That said, I never say never!! Time will tell

Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee

I've been guilty of overusing (is that possible?) my basses and then moving onto the next. I've recently come to the conclusion that I should be rotating my four (Warwick Streamer 5, Fortress 4, Spector NS5LX and Aria pro11 Eite) for gigs and rehearsals... all VERY Different basses but with some knob twiddling on bass and amp I can get the thump I like out of all of them. The fact that they all look/feel/play differently just makes it more interesting!!............. I would have more but four appears to be my 'one in one out' limit..

4 is the right number. 2 fretted, 2 fretless, so when one falls apart unexpectedly, you have a spare to take to the gig.

Coincidentally, I have exactly this situation.
Oh and an EUB, no spare for that though.
And don't ask me about the guitars, my argument falls down a biot there, I have lots. I can justify them, but I don't think it's my strongest argument.

When I think seriously of the money I've spent over the years I find that I'm not a good enough player to have even tried to justify it.

Less time blaming the bass and more time practicing the craft would have been better use of what I had.

But then I'd have missed all the fun . . . .