Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

@AT

Giving the lumps a scrape using a new Stanley blade resulted in rough patches and a stabbed finger :D
I imagine they happened due to a tiny wee change in pressure when squeezing out the string. No harm done as I fancied trying different strings and £13.20 delivered
felt better than £19 + delivery for the Thunder Reds from Thomann.

To be honest I did toy with adding a Deko B-35FL,some XLR cables and a BVT-450 to save £7 postage but that's crazy thinking.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1440182502' post='2848976']
Another 75 Jazz arrived today.

OK first things first... I've come to expect these deckos to be pretty much flawless, my last three even turned up in tune.

Out of the box, this one was actually unplayable. back bow in the neck which choked the strings. So I assumed that the truss rod must be knackered... but it wasn't. Took three full turns and I had to lower the saddles about a centimeter afterwards but it now has a fantastic action.

Routing is a bit rough around the edges but again... it sounds great.
[/quote] that looks great! How much was it again

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1440199465' post='2849119']
that looks great! How much was it again
[/quote]

This particular example came to a wapping £30.48

...can't complain.

I think they are less than £100 at full price and I'd feel I'd got a bargain if I'd paid that.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1440225839' post='2849169']
This particular example came to a wapping £30.48

...can't complain.

I think they are less than £100 at full price and I'd feel I'd got a bargain if I'd paid that.
[/quote]

Just how quick do you need to be to snap one up? Are you sitting on the page pressing F5 for 23 out of 24 hours?

More progressives, including this quilted 5 string. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_550_qtb_progressivedeko.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...ressivedeko.htm[/url]

and this four string. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_450_black_progressiv_deko.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...ressiv_deko.htm[/url]

and fretted bass ukulele. http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_kahuna_clu_bass_ukulel_deko.htm

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1440231052' post='2849193']
Looking again at my black Progresiv I was wanting to make a small adjustment to the intonation. I found there is no longer screw through the saddle.

It seems it is fixed. No reason why it can't be changed though I guess.
[/quote]

The intonation screw is a tiny grub screw almost at right angles to the string direction in the movable saddle. It is an interference fit so you loosen it, move the saddle and tighten it back up. A bit fiddly and the grub screw is tiny. The supplied small allen key is provided for said task!
You need to move the string to the side as when it is sat in the saddle you cannot see the grub screw!

Also at the front of the individual saddle is another grub screw which locks the saddle in place. Again you need to loosen this off to adjust the saddle height and tighten it again, although the string will hold it in place...until you change strings and the saddles all drop out if not tightened up again.

It's all a bit of a fiddle, when I de-fretted my Prog it almost took as long to adjust the saddles and intonation as de-fret it due to the fiddly nature of the individual sadddles

God forbid you loose a grub screw either!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1440231052' post='2849193']
Looking again at my black Progresiv I was wanting to make a small adjustment to the intonation. I found there is no longer screw through the saddle.

It seems it is fixed. No reason why it can't be changed though I guess.
[/quote]

I fitted one of these (Gotoh clone) from Northwestguitars, about £15. Holes don't line up but all the original holes are covered. Need fitting with care to get the strings central on the neck.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1440317150' post='2849709']
Just as a matter of interest what sort of weight are the Progresiv's? Could someone weigh theirs.
[/quote]

"De-fretted it's 3.9 kg on the bathroom scales and the nut is 45mm wide: B-E is 0.9cm, E-A 0.9cm, A-D 1cm and D-G 1 cm assuming you use Nylon Flats. It does not feel heavy and the body is quite contoured. At the Bridge the string spacing is between 1.6 cm and 1.8 cm depending on which strings! "

A 4 string should be lighter.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1440317150' post='2849709']
Just as a matter of interest what sort of weight are the Progresiv's? Could someone weigh theirs.
[/quote]

I just weighed my 4 and it's about 3.85 - 3.9Kg. It was on digital kitchen scales, so the numbers were up and down all over the place as it stood there.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1440321759' post='2849753']
"De-fretted it's 3.9 kg on the bathroom scales and the nut is 45mm wide: B-E is 0.9cm, E-A 0.9cm, A-D 1cm and D-G 1 cm assuming you use Nylon Flats. It does not feel heavy and the body is quite contoured. At the Bridge the string spacing is between 1.6 cm and 1.8 cm depending on which strings! "

A 4 string should be lighter.
[/quote]
Cheers Keith & G. it would be a 5-er I'm interested in.