Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1440544348' post='2851876']
I've just ordered the Lh Jazz. Just want the neck for a project so the body could be up for grabs, maybe.
[/quote]

I was wondering about that. Are you left-handed, or going for a reverse headstock?

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1440549329' post='2851898']
Reverse headstock, just hope it fits the SX P bass I bought.
If not I'll have a whole J for sale :)
[/quote]

Or possibly a buyer for the neck :D

Also, project pics please :)

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1440577667' post='2852016']
Unfortunately my PB-20 was delivered to a neighbour who denies all knowledge of it...
[/quote]

Happened to me once, the sh*t next door would not answer the door, I knew they were in. Called the delivery company (don't remeber who it was), they sent a driver out within a couple of hours and he retrieved it.
If this does not work for you, kill them.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1440580376' post='2852046']
Happened to me once, the sh*t next door would not answer the door, I knew they were in. Called the delivery company (don't remeber who it was), they sent a driver out within a couple of hours and he retrieved it.
If this does not work for you, kill them.
[/quote]

Im not sure they really understood as they didn't speak a word of english... I waved the card thingy and pointed at it and kind of mimed a box shape but was met with a blank look...

It was only a matter of time until this happened, it's always a bit of a lottery as the couriers just deliver my basses to random people down the street I've never met. At least it was a deco and not the time they delivered my fretless Wal to an elderly greek lady, who had opened up the box to see what it was before realising it clearly wasn't intended for her...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1440580918' post='2852051']
At least it was a deco and not the time they delivered my fretless Wal to an elderly greek lady, who had opened up the box to see what it was before realising it clearly wasn't intended for her...
[/quote]

Lucky it wasn't plates.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1440580918' post='2852051']

Im not sure they really understood as they didn't speak a word of english... I waved the card thingy and pointed at it and kind of mimed a box shape but was met with a blank look...

It was only a matter of time until this happened, it's always a bit of a lottery as the couriers just deliver my basses to random people down the street I've never met. At least it was a deco and not the time they delivered my fretless Wal to an elderly greek lady, who had opened up the box to see what it was before realising it clearly wasn't intended for her...
[/quote]

I must say I would go ape sh*t!. Glad you got the Wal!. Touch wood I've never yet had any trouble with any couriers, although once a new mobile was sent to the opposite end of the country but still got it delivered the next day after it was due. Still I don't trust sending or receiving until it's in my or the buyers hands.
Have you checked other houses in the street?. Or there yards/gardens etc

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1440595640' post='2852237']
I must say I would go ape sh*t!. Glad you got the Wal!. Touch wood I've never yet had any trouble with any couriers, although once a new mobile was sent to the opposite end of the country but still got it delivered the next day after it was due. Still I don't trust sending or receiving until it's in my or the buyers hands.
Have you checked other houses in the street?. Or there yards/gardens etc
[/quote]

There isn't really alot I can do... Every time I get a package delivered I go on the track and trace thing and add a comment to the page which is supposed to go to the drivers. It always says the same thing;

"PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DELIVER AS I WILL NOT BE AT HOME TO SIGN FOR THE PACKAGE - PLEASE LEAVE AT DEPOT AND I WILL PICK UP"

Without fail, everytime this is ignored and my packages are delivered to a random neighbour I've never met... Well apart from the aforementioned elderly greek lady. I've now met her twice when she has signed for packages, even though she has no idea who I am.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1440596282' post='2852244']
There isn't really alot I can do... Every time I get a package delivered I go on the track and trace thing and add a comment to the page which is supposed to go to the drivers. It always says the same thing;

"PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DELIVER AS I WILL NOT BE AT HOME TO SIGN FOR THE PACKAGE - PLEASE LEAVE AT DEPOT AND I WILL PICK UP"

Without fail, everytime this is ignored and my packages are delivered to a random neighbour I've never met... Well apart from the aforementioned elderly greek lady. I've now met her twice when she has signed for packages, even though she has no idea who I am.
[/quote]
Wonder if the Greek lady thinks you are becoming a PITA?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1440596486' post='2852246']
Wonder if the Greek lady thinks you are becoming a PITA?
[/quote]

She definitely will!

I always feel guilty asking people if they have signed for my stuff. Especially her as she isn't overly mobile and it must be a real effort to get up from whatever she is doing and clamber down the stairs and sign for a parcel that isn't even for her.... then she has to clamber down again to answer the door when I call after work.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1440596664' post='2852249']

She definitely will!

I always feel guilty asking people if they have signed for my stuff. Especially her as she isn't overly mobile and it must be a real effort to get up from whatever she is doing and clamber down the stairs and sign for a parcel that isn't even for her.... then she has to clamber down again to answer the door when I call after work.
[/quote]

I don't know why but I find a lot of comedy in this.

I think some couriers do have the option to have to left at the depot. Try ringing them being overly polite and say you need to pick it up at the depot I'm sure they will sort it. If they say no go unethical and say your disabled and will make a complaint that will get the job done..

I'm finding with my Progresiv Jazz, that when playing in Passive, if I switch to Active without turning the volume down, I get a loud "pop" go through the amp and speakers. Does anyone else get this?

Or is this a super new feature that only i have the benefit of?

Just wondering if I have a duff pre-amp, or is it designed that way.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='lanark' timestamp='1440597740' post='2852265']
So - has anybody yet received a duff instrument from these "decoration only" items? Only there's a banjo on there at the moment that I might be interested in (along with an acoustic bass).
[/quote]

The worst I've had just needed a set up... It was unplayable out of the box, but a truss rod / bridge tweak and it was fine :)

All the others I've had arrived not only well set up but actually in tune.

[quote name='lanark' timestamp='1440597740' post='2852265']
So - has anybody yet received a duff instrument from these "decoration only" items? Only there's a banjo on there at the moment that I might be interested in (along with an acoustic bass).
[/quote]

Yes, someone received a ukulele bass with a stuffed truss rod. Apologies to the owner as I'm too lazy to go back and check who it was.

Is the banjo really value for money? Check the price of the non-deko banjo. Which is a different design, but I wouldn't pay the banjo price for a deko.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1440598123' post='2852272']
I'm finding with my Progresiv Jazz, that when playing in Passive, if I switch to Active without turning the volume down, I get a loud "pop" go through the amp and speakers. Does anyone else get this?

Or is this a super new feature that only i have the benefit of?

Just wondering if I have a duff pre-amp, or is it designed that way.
[/quote]

Mine does that, it's louder when I first start using it but then it seems to be getting quieter everytime I use the push pull

Edited by Andytre

My acoustic 4 string has a raised 17th fret, easy to sort but I've no business being up that end so left it.
The pickup is strange on that one as well, the E and G are a lot quieter than the A and D when plugged in, whether that's the problem or just how they all are I don't know. Strange as it's the higher quality one with the Fishman electrics, it's fine acoustically though.
Can't complain for £40
I cannot find anything wrong with my fretless acoustic apart from a tiny mark top of the headstock.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1440602408' post='2852326']
"Yes, they all do that Sir"!
[/quote][quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1440600239' post='2852295']
Mine does that, it's louder when I first start using it but then it seems to be getting quieter everytime I use the push pull
[/quote]

Ahh.... ok. Thanks. So we're not looking for a faulty component or dry joint then.

I'm sure it can be fixed with a capacitor across the switch, or the battery. It's just a matter of finding out what size that needs to be.

The other solution could be to make it passive and take the pre' out.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1440603594' post='2852335']
My acoustic 4 string has a raised 17th fret, easy to sort but I've no business being up that end so left it.
The pickup is strange on that one as well, the E and G are a lot quieter than the A and D when plugged in, whether that's the problem or just how they all are I don't know. Strange as it's the higher quality one with the Fishman electrics, it's fine acoustically though.
Can't complain for £40
I cannot find anything wrong with my fretless acoustic apart from a tiny mark top of the headstock.
[/quote]

When I got my bass the E & G were louder than the A & D. The reason was in the set up, they had set the position of the A&D much higher in the bridge. So the spacing of the string to the pup was too high.