Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

[quote name='blablas' timestamp='1441369480' post='2858335']
Nine out of ten times that's the norm :( , we are already handicapped in our choice so if we finally find something we deserve to pay more for the exclusivity :biggrin: .

The most common told argument coming from manufacturers is that it is more expansive to fabricate lefthanded instruments due to smaller production runs and mirrored machining, clamping and whatever else is involved in the process.
[/quote]

Personally I think that a large company such as Thomann could ameliorate the additional costs of left handed goods across all sales, and have a single price for both. I'm also unimpressed that their range of stock doesn't include left handed versions of all their mass market own-brand instruments. When the deko versions are still different prices, that takes the cake :( I presume that bean counters have been on the case.

@Twincam Happy NDBD. If you have the standard Jazz bass, I really like how it sounds in the Thomann web demos, and in fact like the sound more than the '75 jazzer with Wilkinson pickups. I haven't heard either in real life, so that may just be differences in how well the demos were created (and anything sneaky such as extra compression or EQ or something).

Left handed P-bass still available. @Blablas, surely you could turn it into your version of a Spear Flextool....

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1441201681' post='2856883']
I've just nabbed a natural finish HB Jazz for £39 incl shipping. I have a very nice early 90s Mighty Mite maple Jazz neck knocking around at home that might work with it.
[/quote]

It's on it's way. Reached the Cologne hub. I've already bought a replacement pickguard in a fit of over confidence.

The guys in the staff room at work and I have brought a few Dekos this week. So far 3x Uke Basses, 1x Progressiv, 1x Jazz, two cheap nylon strung acoustics and a fretless 5 acoustic. 8 in total.

The Jazz hasn't arrived yet. The Uke basses are great with minor finish issues. The fretless 5 acoustic has a hump at the 10th -13th fret on the g string (going to sand this out hopefully). The Progressiv has a few frets that need seating and a good fretdress and polish is in order. The nylon strung acoustics were £8 and play great for the price of a couple of pints. Just paint overspray and other minor cosmetic issues.

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1441376700' post='2858457']
So Thomann have made 'arrangements' with eBay to minimise the reselling of these items; it should make things more difficult for our friend. Not to mention they're giving me free stuff for 'grassing' on him! :)
[/quote]

Result - well played sir.

I've sold a few dekos now. But always listed as such and listed as used including the stamp mark on the back.. And I list what work I've put into it.

I've seen the ads on eBay your referring to and i didn't think I would be bothered but I think it's a blatant attempt to deceive!. Especially with the dodgy chip/mark wording for the d stamp. However saying that I don't see any legal wrong in it and I doubt eBay will take action despite what might be said. Technically he is doing nothing illegal.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1441384527' post='2858559']
I've sold a few dekos now. But always listed as such and listed as used including the stamp mark on the back.. And I list what work I've put into it.

I've seen the ads on eBay your referring to and i didn't think I would be bothered but I think it's a blatant attempt to deceive!. Especially with the dodgy chip/mark wording for the d stamp. However saying that I don't see any legal wrong in it and I doubt eBay will take action despite what might be said. Technically he is doing nothing illegal.
[/quote]

It doesn't need to be illegal, it only needs to be against eBay's policies/terms and conditions. eBay may feel that the items are not accurately described.

@theButler - congrats on your getting something done and your free stuff - result!

What has actually happened on eBay, and what has Thomann done? Could you give us some more details?

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1441385759' post='2858565']

It doesn't need to be illegal, it only needs to be against eBay's policies/terms and conditions. eBay may feel that the items are not accurately described.

@theButler - congrats on your getting something done and your free stuff - result!

What has actually happened on eBay, and what has Thomann done? Could you give us some more details?
[/quote]

Thing is its not against ebay rules, the seller is actually doing nothing wrong. They are new basses and his buyers have been happy. He is just not disclosing certain details.
I'm not defending the guy at all and I do think its wrong but he is not breaking any rules technically and I will bet nothing will happen. The best thing to do is buy a bass from him and leave a negative comment.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1441390658' post='2858614']
Well his current ads seem to be still up unmolested.

A search for "Harley Benton Guitars" led me to another old favourite, remove the pickup cover, call it "unscreened" and "Ker-ching"!
[/quote]

Haha is that the Tele with the front pickup cover removed. That guy never fails to amuse and annoy me. He probably does in a haphazard way put work into his guitars. Its just the rubbish he spouts and his prices are wrong and misleading

Edited by Twincam

Well my deko progessive has arrived

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_450_black_progressiv_deko.htm

nothing I can see apart from a mark where the neck bolts on, neck was a bit bow shaped but got that straightened out and it plays fine, very powerful and very controllable. Happy boy... :D

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1441481396' post='2859192']
Happy New Deko Bass day.

BTW: There is a deko ukulele up on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ukulele-bass-Ubass-/331647055093?hash=item4d37b474f5 The listing does say that it's a 'deko'.
[/quote]

Yeah that's mine. It arrived perfect not a mark on it, however the frets were bad the third fret made it unplayable, but that was its only issue. As the ad says all the frets are now level, crowned and polished to a mirror finish. And it's set up very well. The current start price reflects my time put into the bass approx 2 hours or so in all and the rest is eBay PayPal fees I've added on. Which I think is fair as this bass I know will play better than a new non Deko one.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1441482223' post='2859200']
Yeah that's mine. It arrived perfect not a mark on it, however the frets were bad the third fret made it unplayable, but that was its only issue. As the ad says all the frets are now level, crowned and polished to a mirror finish. And it's set up very well. The current start price reflects my time put into the bass approx 2 hours or so in all and the rest is eBay PayPal fees I've added on. Which I think is fair as this bass I know will play better than a new non Deko one.
[/quote]

Can't argue with the description nor the price, very fair and as you say, it will play better than a new one. GLWTS.

Bass is here, honestly at first couldn't figure out why it was a deco unit.

Having had a better look the neck is a little backward and it's affecting the lower portion of notes on the D and G strings so have tweaked that and reckon I have a bargain on my hands :)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1441641243' post='2860506']
Bass is here, honestly at first couldn't figure out why it was a deco unit.

Having had a better look the neck is a little backward and it's affecting the lower portion of notes on the D and G strings so have tweaked that and reckon I have a bargain on my hands :)
[/quote]

Glad you like it :) I'm waiting for the 4 string version :)

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1441645565' post='2860549']
@Paul-h: I hope your bass is moving now

@Merton: Happy NDBD. Sounds like you have yet another bargain. How is the B string on your acoustic?
[/quote]

Yes! Just checked and it's in the UK national hub! Squueeegh! :D

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1441645565' post='2860549']
@Paul-h: I hope your bass is moving now

@Merton: Happy NDBD. Sounds like you have yet another bargain. How is the B string on your acoustic?
[/quote]

Cheers! It's a bit flabby tbh but I am not complaining for £50!
Still got a bit of a neck issue to remedy but again absolutely spot on for the money :)

NDBD! My fretless acoustic 4 string has arrived.

It arrived about 30 minutes ago. Like most have experienced it was very difficult to see why it was a deko. No marks except the stamped D. Neck straight, action ok. Stuck a battery in...the tuner worked well. Machineheads not the most positive in terms of feel and tuning stability not great initially but I am sure it will settle down.

And herein lies the rub...

Amplified the E string has very, very low output. Unusably low. The annoying thing is I would have been much happier with some cosmetic damage, or a truss rod that needed tweaking. Electronics are a black art to me.

So I just have to hope that it's something to do with the strings. Which is a shame because the phosphor bronze ones on it feel quite nice...and probably won't be cheap! Later I will just put a different string on and see if there is a difference. [i]EDIT: I'm being an idiot aren't I? Can the string affect a piezo pickup?[/i]

However, for £44 it's still a bargain just as an acoustic instrument. Plus, I can't actually play fretless (yet) so not being able to use it amplified is not a major issue.

Edited by paul h