NBD! Well, it was a few weeks ago actually. I picked up this awesome @Bassworks PPJ5 early January. It’s a great machine. For me the melding of modern engineering and great luthiery is awesome.
TBH I wasn’t planning on buying anymore basses. I’ve recently sold quite a few pretty nice instruments. But I spotted the PPJ5 on a No Treble post and then noticed that Bassworks are only 40 mins from me. I was quite intrigued by the spec and philosophy behind the build. So off I went for a noodle and back home I came with it! I was so impressed that I ordered a matching fretless for it while I was there. The build diary for the fretless is here: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/445717-fretless-5-string-bassworks-build-diary/
In fact the build diary for this fretted one has been posted by Bassworks in the build chat:
The attention to detail and re-world ‘players’ approach to design coupled modern features in a traditional format is really refreshing. For me, while I’ve got some nice basses, I was really attracted to the versatility and stability that this instrument provides. The PPJ5 feels really well build and its only 8lbs. 8lbs dead on for a great sounding/playing 5 string with a 35” scale. It means that I should be able to use it on all of my current gigs (well, when gigs come back!).
Here’s some pictures of the beast in all its glory.
Here’s the spec taken from the No Treble post:
• Lightweight Swamp Ash chambered body
• Canadian Rock Maple neck with carbon fibre rods
• 2-way truss rod with 12" to 20" compound radius
• Macassar Ebony
• 35" scale
• block inlays
• Luminlay side dot markers.
• "Aero" treatment to fret ends and invisible fret tangs
• Asymmetric thumb groove profile
• 4mm Birdseye Maple headstock plate on lightly chambered headstock
• Recessed tuner detailing,
• Hipshot USA hardware
• Bartolini PJ pickups
• Tri-point pick up height adjustment from the rear and lockdown screws to the front
• John East UNI Pre 01 3 band EQ running at 18V with a true passive option + PTC/VTC
• Dean Markley Blue Steel cryogenically treated strings strung through body
• Copper shielded electronics cavity.
• Bassworks' top secret proprietary heel connection geometry and 5 screw fixation into threaded inserts in the neck heel.