Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

yeah i duno why that is i normally check the mobile site (well have it constantly on my phone so i see it every time i access the internet :blush: ) and it seems to update quicker than the computer site, it also annoyingly keeps everything that is sold out for a while after, so you know what bargains you've missed!

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1442923787' post='2870535']
And with an element of "christ, it's £30 for a brand new bass guitar", I've ordered one of the Jazz bassess too. Would have liked one of the black ones, but Natural will have to do ;)

Do i now have to await email confirmation before being certain they will come?
[/quote]

More or less, yes. Usually that doesn't take too long.

BTW: I have written code that loads the mobile site and extracts all instruments. Unlike my code for the main site, it actually checked that they aren't sold out. There is still some way to go in order to integrate it with the rest of my program. Particularly since I want my normal program to start checking that the instruments are actually in stock in a similar way. This is what it thinks is in stock at the moment:

[quote][font=Menlo][size=4]
Harley Benton BJ-65Pro 6 String Banj Deko[/size][/font][font=Menlo][size=4]
Harley Benton CustomLine CLR-TriCone Deko[/size][/font][font=Menlo][size=4]
Harley Benton B-30BK-LH Deko[/size][/font][font=Menlo][size=4]
Harley Benton B-30 BK Acoustic Bass Deko[/size][/font][font=Menlo][size=4]
Harley Benton PB-50 SB Vintage Serie Deko[/size][/font][font=Menlo][size=4]
Harley Benton JB-75 NA Vintage Serie Deko[/size][/font][font=Menlo][size=4]
Harley Benton D-120CE-LH BK Deko[/size][/font]
[/quote]

Note that only Harley Bentons turn up as I'm only checking those. I'll expand it to include other instruments such as Startones, but don't need to add in the Warwick mini rock thumb bass.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1442925961' post='2870576']
For info, this is the link that loads the Mobile Site from a PC:

[url="https://m.thomann.de/gb/decorative_guitars_and_basses.html"]https://m.thomann.de...and_basses.html[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, interestingly many are B Stock rather than Decos...

My PB50 came today.

I've only had about ten minutes with it but I can't find anything at all "wrong" with it.

The neck seems straight, the relief is ok, a little bit of fret buzz but I'm heavy handed and that's a common occurance for me and new basses. Lovely bit of wood, the electronics work and it sounds decent.

The only things that let it down are a really cheap looking pickguard, the pots are a bit uneven in terms of travel and the tuners are really stiff (but seem to hold tune OK). Hardly a problem on a cheap bass. I'd want to do a more thorough inspection but I reckon I could gig this as is.

This also came with a cable, Allen keys, daddario strings, and a Wilkinson pickup...

... and after using my thomann review voucher cost me £8.80 delivered. Blinkin' 'eck.

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1443008487' post='2871350']
I've just received my PB-Shorty left-hander, and it plays really well straight out of the box. I've found one tiny dent on the back of the neck, and the scratchplate has a slight warp, but I can live with that.

Now about to spend £30 on some flats for my £17 bass!
[/quote]
I put status hotwire flats on mine. Very thumpy, like it has foam under the bridge. Amazing thump for a shorty. These strings seem more rigid that other flats I've tried.
Spent £60 upgrading my £36 Prog 4 (so far...)

The Pb50 SB I ordered only days ago arrived already! I gave it about a 20 min run through yesterday and as many have said the quality is great for the price and tge bass isnt bad either, amazing for 40notes delivered from germany- within a week!

Stiff tuners and tone volume knobs. Fret buzz and scrappy guard edging in places. All absolutely minor minor details in my book as perfectly functional bass with swagger. The lead socket fixing does not fit flush with the body, I could probably mend that anyhow and im sure thats the only real thing that makes this bass a deko, all other things I think I can fix.

Edited by Left Foot

Are any deko owners having buyer remorse? My acoustic fretless 4 is nice and the only work that needs doing is the high action / nut slot deepening..... Fighting with myself whether I can justify keeping it (too many basses, and others are objectively better instruments)!!! Anyone else have this "problem"?

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1443186734' post='2872939']
Are any deko owners having buyer remorse? My acoustic fretless 4 is nice and the only work that needs doing is the high action / nut slot deepening..... Fighting with myself whether I can justify keeping it (too many basses, and others are objectively better instruments)!!! Anyone else have this "problem"?
[/quote]

Not really remorse but I did realise that I didn't need any of the ones I had bought...

[/quote]

I bought myself a Mark Bass CMD121P combo (secondhand) so the Prog 5 String that I defretted has just gone to pastures new as I realised that I'd never really need a fretless.......! Mind I don't really need 4 items of Mark Bass Soundgear either.

[/quote]

I'd like to get to a position of selling them on and buying new ones, keeping the ones I really like (fretless acoustic isn't going anywhere). But, I never get around to it. Still planning for a classical deko as the next purchase at some time.