Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

That's where the second thoughts come in JAC. If unit costs are fairly standard well some other brands ain't so good value.
There's another 50s P bass out that sells for 15 times what my deko cost,made from the ultra rare timber known as pine.
Not that I was thinking of getting one

I think Fender is much better than HB :P :D :ph34r:

----
----

... on the serious note though, I worked as a salesman for many years and if you have a product you need the advertising, which takes lots of money. You need shops willing to sell it, also adds to the money.

Thomann was already so big internationally that advertising wasn't an issue. Thomann needs no other shops to sell the HB because they are already so popular, hence cutting down on expenses and selling to us cheaper. If Thomann would take over Fender they too would have HB price tags on :D

Edited by Che

AT

I was giving some thought to the likes of Revelation,Chowny and Retrovibe. Can they really compared to the big players ? Like yourself I've browsed Ali Express
enough to have an inkling of prices but have those 3 the buying power to get the low prices ? Revelation are of course a bigger outfit than the other 2,I think they're
both one man bands ( Dave Konig certainly is at Retrovibe ),but still not that big. Prices on 1000s of units will be lower than on 100s and dozens.

So I think their products and prices as a good deal, they have fewer resources to weather mishaps in production or delays and far lower sales figures.The brands selling
1000s of items every week ? I don't view them in the same light.

I'm not sure that many of the Ali Express basses are bargains. By the time the postage and charges are added, I think the fairly generic looking LP bass I found on Ali Express would be close to the cost of the Revelation LP Recording, about £300. I know which I would prefer...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-string-lp-bass-guitar-electric-lp-guitar-basswood-body-maple-neck-and-rosewood-fingerboard-free/32450622642.html?spm=2114.031010208.3.18.8bc4rk&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1,searchweb201527_2_71_72_73_74_75,searchweb201560_2

There are some cheap generic instruments on Ali Express, but anything a bit further upmarket does cost more.

Edited by Annoying Twit

AT

My money would be going to Revelation and I wouldn't think twice. I was thinking in my earlier thread ( £50 is too much ) about the more common brands that sell 1000s
every week. I really don't want to be naming brands , Today I saw a bog standard jazz bass for £220 RRP was £350,this was by a well known company who now get their
basses made in China.My deko jazz was £33.

Course I'm not thinking factory-agent-distributor-shop,they all need to make a profit too so I suppose £220 is about right. This is what I get for idle thought :D

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1445339676' post='2890638']
Shorty P bass Deko in stock just now... Hurry

[url="https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pb_shorty_bk_standarddeko.htm?o=5&ref=mal_a_5&search=1445339519"]https://m.thomann.de...arch=1445339519[/url]
[/quote]After a £230 bill to get my car through it's MOT this week I'm not even going to try ordering one until next month. So much for Japanese cars being uber-reliable... :(

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1445339676' post='2890638']
Shorty P bass Deko in stock just now... Hurry

[url="https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pb_shorty_bk_standarddeko.htm?o=5&ref=mal_a_5&search=1445339519"]https://m.thomann.de...arch=1445339519[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, hopefully got one for my daughter to try.

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1445346609' post='2890727']
Thanks, hopefully got one for my daughter to try.
[/quote]

Not sure I got it. I have a pending Paypal transaction, with the part for some strings completed but they have not taken the amount for the bass and it is still a Pending Transaction apparently. Is this bad news?

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1445427412' post='2891339']
Email them, immediately.
[/quote]
Emailed them, site messaged them before posting. No reply though.
I've won it and just got the Shipping confirmation email this morning.
It's my home address but I'm moving out in 4/5 days time.
Hopefully I can arrange something with the courier if they have a depot, just really not something I wanted to muck up mid-house move.
Ah well.

Deko six string Progressive arrived at weekend. Absolutely perfect except for over-zealous nut filing resulting in some fret buzz on a couple of open strings. Pity as I could have done with it for a dep slot I've got on Saturday.

OK, not a high end bass by any means, but flawless at full price I'd say it's a quite lot for the money.

New nut on the way...

[quote name='Supercollide' timestamp='1445429054' post='2891370']
Emailed them, site messaged them before posting. No reply though.
I've won it and just got the Shipping confirmation email this morning.
It's my home address but I'm moving out in 4/5 days time.
Hopefully I can arrange something with the courier if they have a depot, just really not something I wanted to muck up mid-house move.
Ah well.
[/quote]

Good luck with that.

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1445430388' post='2891385']
Deko six string Progressive arrived at weekend. Absolutely perfect except for over-zealous nut filing resulting in some fret buzz on a couple of open strings. Pity as I could have done with it for a dep slot I've got on Saturday.

OK, not a high end bass by any means, but flawless at full price I'd say it's a quite lot for the money.

New nut on the way...
[/quote]

Sounds like a result with a new nut being all that is needed. If this happened to me I would have been very tempted to go for a justanut, which would probably cost more than the bass did.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1445442256' post='2891525']
My six string progressive came too. Despite being apparently flawless with a very pretty figured neck, When I got it it was dead and just made pops and bangs.

Then I put a battery in it!
Now its fine :)
[/quote]

Did it come with no battery? I think my acoustic came with no battery.

Happy NBD to the two 6 string deko purchasers.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1445442256' post='2891525']When I got it it was dead and just made pops and bangs.
Then I put a battery in it!
Now its fine[/quote]

The volume control on my Progressive has an active/passive pull pot, usefully. Pull it out and it works with no battery.

[quote name='enssorcel' timestamp='1445622083' post='2892942']
Has anyone seen the B-550FL (the fretless 5 string electric, not acoustic one) up as a deco at all? Yeah I know they can be had for ~£100 new but as my first foray into fretless I would rather spend as little as possible. I've already sent Thomman an email asking why their B-Stock version is only €10 less; when I bought my B-Stock Squier VM Jazz from them a few months back I could've sworn it was about 1/3 off new.

Cheers :)
[/quote]

The last time I saw one was on 10:21am on the 10th of June.

Edited by Annoying Twit